MP3 Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 Players

I figured you guys know about computers and technology, so I need some advice.

I got a Sandisk Sansa M250 the other day, and I'm going to return it because:

+ The equalizer doesn't work with the FM radio
    + The radio volume doesn't have a "background noise" setting, it's always loud
    + Folders imported from the computer are randomly replaced with the name "unknown" instead of their folder name
    + The fm radio's reception is mediocre at best (maybe this is the nature of the beast with such a small unit)

So I'm looking for opinions on best MP3 players. I'd rather have native windows support, so I'm trying to steer clear of apple products, but if you really think they're best, that's fine.

Thanks!

PS: I'll be playing Stuck In The Middle With Noobs on it, so this was posted in the NS section.

Re: MP3 Players

Since I presume you'll be playing other things too, I'll move this to the Hardware and Software section.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
      Since I presume you'll be playing other things too, I'll move this to the Hardware and Software section.
      2nd-gen Microsoft Zune ftw (slimmer than 1st gen.) Wireless capability, hackable, FM tuner, biggest screen, best earbuds, and cheaper than Ipod. (also not married to iTunes)

U can pick up the 8GB version for like $150.

-being able to rip music from someone else's Zune in an airport is just too cool

Comment

Of course, you can pick up a first gen Zune for dirt cheap. I got mine last month for $100 for a 30gb.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
          Of course, you can pick up a first gen Zune for dirt cheap. I got mine last month for $100 for a 30gb.
          Yah, cant find em anymore though 'cept maybe on Ebay. The $100 30gb "brown" Zune sales are all overwith :(

Comment

I was hoping to use something that would support Rhapsody, and be a flash rather than HD player, since it's mostly for outdoor stuff, etc.

I'm looking at Samsung products that are listed at the bottom of http://learn.rhapsody.com/devices/players

I've never had a reason to mistrust Samsung, but man, this Sandisk ordeal really takes the cake.

Thanks for any opinions.

Comment

You could always skip MP3 players altogether and buy an e-book reader with an MP3 player in it. Obviously you cant go jogging with one though.

Comment

I thought very hard about getting a music-focused cellphone but for quality's sake I'm planning to extract "music" from my phone features and into a completely modular "all my music in one place" player with a great fm radio, mp3's, and rhapsody support.

Heck I'd like pandora but something with all that support is extremely unlikely, so maybe I'll try a samsung if there aren't any other strong opinions.

Comment

I've really liked the Creative MuVo series. I've owned three so far and have had zero complaints. In fact, I'm still using the 2 gig, my wife has the 1 gig now, and the 512 has been passed all the way down to my son.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I've got a 2GB Samsung T9 and have been VERY happy with it. The new T10 and P2 from Samsung are apparently very good as well. The FM reception on my T9 is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies View Post
                      I'd rather have native windows support, so I'm trying to steer clear of apple products, but if you really think they're best, that's fine.
                      Ipod supports windows natively.

I use a program called Foola to update my ipod now, but I used to use iTunes I have never had a problem connecting my ipod to my pc.

Comment

Right, I understand that, but my music is in .wma, and it sounds "good" enough to me. I've heard that converting .wma to .mp3 takes up additional space because the compression method needs a higher bitrate to achieve the same sound quality, but this may just be a marketing gimmick.

In any case, it would be more convenient for me, and speaking personally, I'm not an apple fanboy or an apple hater, but I really don't appreciate Steve Jobs' marketing strategies (remember the iPhone price drop)?

I'd prefer to buy from another company, but if it turns out that iPods are really that much better, so be it.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming if you like!

Comment

aac is a much better compressor for audio, better then wma and way better then mp3 (unless your using LAME which is lossless)

aac is what most professional media creators use for distribution, its what my teachers tell us to use at least (my teachers also work for companies like Industrial Light and Magic, Disney and Pixar)

Comment

Totally go for a Sony Video Walkman.
                            Check them out on SonyStyle [I'd post the URL, but I haven't had 15 posts yet...]
                            They're not really over priced, and have an amazing battery life of upto 33 hours music playback, and 9.5 hours video. [The S600 series does anyway.] I believe the battery life whole-heartedly, as my current Sony [NW-E003F] is rated at 28 hours on a single charge, and it's no lie.
                            And wait! There's more! They actually dropped SonicStage!

Comment

Not to throw mud at apple any more than nessacery, but a recent iTunes update just...deleted half of my girlfriends library. Gone. Missing. No idea. No record, just GONE. Off the HDD.

Zune 2 and iPod's are EXACTLY THE SAME on almost every single level.

Proud owner of a Zune 30GB Brown for over 6 months now. Works like a charm.
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X