Q. how to format harddrives in RAID..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q. how to format harddrives in RAID..

Just wondering... got my new system a month ago, used it as it came but ready to format it and get rid of all the crap... it comes with a harddrive in RAID confiqeration... C: drive has the operating system, and D: drive has a back up (taking up 1/4th of my harddrive space)... i don't need a back up since i have an external i backup my files once a week on...

so to format a RAID system... do I put the OS DVD in, re-boot and go into the DOS (what to boot from?) menu... and install that way... or do I have to go into the RAID confiq (Control-N) at start up and format in there...

guess i need to know how to delete partitions D, then C, then boot to disk to install the OS (Vista) from scratch?

I knew how to do this with Windows XP and my 2 hard drives in my old system, but now i have 1 hard drive in RAID confiq (with two virtual hard drives) and Vista.

thx for any info.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Q. how to format harddrives in RAID..

What kind of RAID was setup? 0 or 5? It was just two hard drives correct?

If it was a RAID 0, you are golden. You just put the OS disk in and boot one disk and it should install without any issues. While on the other hand if it was a RAID 5, you may have to format one of the disks than boot and install.

Before you do any of that, you may want to go into the BIOS and make sure the RAID configuration is turned off. If not VISTA may see it as one physical hard drive and install that way. Depending on your motherboard, you may have a RAID configuration tool (normally accessed pressing the F2 key during boot post process) that can also turn it off.

As far as the partitions go, VISTA normally will do that for you during the install process. If is VISTA X64, it will format automatically to convert a drive.

Good luck!!
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

SATA RAID 0 With Dual 160GB 10000 RPM Hard Drives and 16MB DataBurst Cache
      thats what it came with... I quess I do have 2 harddrives in RAID 0... so how would I format the harddrives, as a individual or togehter as a whole?

thx
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

RAIDs would have to be formatted together.... To Form the RAID.. I am assuming since it's HARDWARE..you can do it right from the ADmin Tools Computer management/Disk Management (in XP)... It should appear as a Single RAID Volume (I would think)..then just Partition as it was a single volume..(if that's what you want).. Then Format the beastie...
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
          thats what it came with... I quess I do have 2 harddrives in RAID 0... so how would I format the hard drives, as a individual or togehter as a whole?

thx

If you would like two use two separate drives, than format them separately. From the sounds of what you are trying to do (not use a RAID), I would simply attach one disk, load the OS onto it, than once everything is loaded than in Windows format the other. The install process will pick up the drive, no matter the previous format and will automatically setup the drive to load.

Then, in Vista, simply go to the Administrative tools, Computer mgmt. Under Computer Mgmt, click on the "storage" tab, and get the drive up..
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I have a Nvidia Forceware manual on the RAID install that I just got with my mobo. If it will help, I can email it to you. Could not find a direct link.

Comment

thx...think i got it now... will do it after X-mas...thx for the help.
              Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X