computer building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer building

Hello everyone again, and for this segment.... (lol j/k)

I got my computer in, and my vid card says its IN indianapolis which is only like, a one hour drive away, but they didnt ship today, and they dont ship on sundays, so monday my vid card will come in, but for the rest of the computer, i know where to place everything, i just forgot on where all those plugs plug into.

I didn't know if anyone knows of a good link that will show me where to place the plugs, or if anyone would be kind enough to kinda explain on how to do it?

Im learning on how to build a computer myself, with no help, but i honestly DO need help.

Again, i appreciate this very well, and thanks to all.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Re: computer building

http://www.daileyint.com/build/

Google is your friend. That link was the second hit in the search results and looks like a pretty good guide with pics.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

When I built my first rig, the motherboard manual was a huge help as well...

Comment

I just finished building my first from scratch and it is a great feeling to have accomplished it. It was a good challenge, but not overwhelming. Here are a few things I can tell you to hopefully save you some time:

Before you start placing plugs, make sure you flash your BIOS with the most updated version. Go to the website of your mobo to get the new files and directions on how to do it. I also joined and read the forums there that were arranged by mobo type and learned about pitfalls to avoid that others had. I was also able to get tips by people who had experience with my same board.

Many people on the forums talked about doing a "bare-bones" mobo BIOS install which means that you connect the power to the mobo with the chip and add only RAM, vid card and floppy to get that done. After you flash the BIOS and have it ready to accept an operating system, then you can put all the main parts together for the finished product. Take it one step at a time and the connections will make sense if you follow your manual.

Make sure you have a floppy disk drive and a few floppy disks around to flash the bios. You will also need to have a bootable disk for whatever OS you plan to use. It is best to do a clean install, so make sure you have spent some time lining up your disks for all of the OS, anti-virus, etc.

I reinstalled all my games also...takes time. Make sure you have all your key codes handy, etc. There are also many little updates to consider like updating drivers for your vid card, games, security updates, etc. Write yourself a list to follow a plan that generally makes sense for the order. It will save you time.

Also, if you reinstall your games you can keep copies of your player profiles for your games so you can copy/paste them over and it will transfer all of your settings, history, etc. I play BF2, POE2 and CoD4 and all of them worked with that data transfer.

You can learn a ton from your mobo manufacturer website and learn from the victories and failures of those who have done it before you. If you are systematic and plan for one step at a time, you will do great. I had a few minor "first-timer" bumps along the road but my mobo has a LED error panel that tips you off to the problem and that helped.

At the end of the day, you will be staring at your creation after playing your first session of your favorite game on much higher resolution, with no lag, and you will think to yourself, I am really glad I did that. :icon_cool

Comment

Make sure you have an anti-static mat to build it on and a anti-static wrist band.

I used a USB stick to flash my BIOS because the PC wouldn't boot with the floppy attached.

Comment

It is pretty obvious where a lot of the plugs go, they can only go in a certain way and you should not have to force anything in. It seems like a lot of wires and connectors that need to be plugged in but it really isn't that confusing as what it may look.
            I also would recommend looking and reading the motherboard manual that should have came with the computer. If you do not have an anti static strap or mat to work with I suggest in the kitchen, boil a little bit of water for about 20 minutes before doing anything to the computer, if you boil some water and moisture is in the air then it is less likely you will have any static in you and also make sure you are on no carpet at all.
            Touch the metal part of the power supply to release any static from your body. These are some ideas but they still can not guarantee that you will not fry a part of the computer from static. Take it slow, remember if you get in a hurry you may forget to do something and damage the computer nd also, before hitting the power button or even plugging it in double check everything to be sure all is right. if you have your old computer handy, use it kinda of like a guide to help along. Remember again that the old computer is not going to exactly like a newer computer so you will only get a slight idea. Search around the internet for a bunch of tutorials on building a computer.

I am sure if you do this stuff here you will be OK and all work fine.

One other thing, if you do the boiling water trick, don't get so much moisture in the air that it might get onto any computer parts, just enough to help remove the dryness out of the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Stalin1878 View Post
              I used a USB stick to flash my BIOS because the PC wouldn't boot with the floppy attached.
              If I knew I could do it at the time, I would have used a bootable USB. Moving one floppy between 2 cpu's was a pain in the #$%! Good point Stalin1878, this will save you a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
                I second this. I had never done it before and this saved me on a couple of things.

Comment

Alright i was looking through the manual looking at each individual piece and I see now where the plugs (ex. led+, led-) fit into the mainboard. I haven't built it yet as im waiting, and hopefully it will come in today, for my CPU cooler and new monitor i ordered. I will post an update as how my computer is coming and hopefully it will be a success. thank you everyone.
                  "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

I built my computer generally with the manual at my side.

Don't sweat it over the LED's. Damn, I still don't think my HDD one is correct. (Sometimes the directions just don't explain it well enough)
                    Skud

Comment

My motherboard manual (from Asus) had step-by-step instructions on how to build the PC. I was also a first time PC builder when I put mine together, and I didn't need anything other than the mobo manual. Took me about 2 hours to put together, but the OS install was a pain because I screwed up on partitioning the HDD twice.
                      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
                        Dito

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

1) Motherboard Manual is indeed your bible.
                          2) If it isn't broken, don't fix it. BIOS flashing is unforgiving of a mistake. If it isn't a useful change, I wouldn't bother with it.
                          3) "It is pretty obvious where a lot of the plugs go" and nothing says lol like connecting firewire to the USB pins.
                          4) "Don't sweat it over the LED's. Damn, I still don't think my HDD one is correct." My power light glows until I turn on the computer. But it doesn't come back on when I shut it down; only when the line power is disconnected.

Comment

Funny real story:

I was building my first PC about a year ago with some really expensive stuff. I got the motherboard in everything looked good, i put the CPU in etc. etc. etc. all good. now the CPU was peculiar it took a lot of force to get it in the LGA socket, enough that i was almost afraid i was going to break it. but it went in ok. so everythings good and i go to turn it on and it turns on! for about .5 seconds then it cuts out. im like poop now what?. so i kept toying with it and couldnt get it to boot. it was 4AM when i went to bed that night. i slept on it and after twelve hours of good sleep i woke up and thought about my computer, then i remembered the CPU OMFG!!!! there was a small black plate on the bottom of the CPU, it looked like the connector or something so i didnt toy with it. i quickly ran to my other PC and googled Core 2 Duo E6600 to my surprise the bottom was supposed to be full of little gold spots ;). I'm lucky i didn't bend the pins on my motherboard. took the black plate off of the CPU and it ran flawlessly.

Comment

Holy crap stickjeans, I can't believe you didn't bend the pins. You are so lucky!!!!

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X