New moniter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New moniter

I have been a CTR junky for awhile now. But since i got a crapload of money for Christmas, i figured i could buy a new monitor, preferably an LCD. I was wondering what would be good for a computer that im planning to upgrade in the future.

I want a non wide screen (i've seen wide screen resolutions and i don't want my computer to chug with them.)

A modest native resolution (1280 x 1024 around)

Something that won't crap out after a few years.

Fast response time (no ghosting) and at or above 17"

Is this a good one for my standards. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009110

good color

Below 250 dollars.
    Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 12-25-2007, 11:23 AM.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: New moniter

My current specs are:
    7600 GT

AMD Opteron 180 (2.4x2)

2 gb of 400 mhz DDR Ram.

WHAt is contrast Ratio
    Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 12-25-2007, 11:22 AM.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 915n and I really have enjoyed it.
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

Ever have an «everyone got gloves» Christmas ?

This year is «everyone is getting a new monitor»:D

Look here for some opinions.

Cheers!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
          I have a Samsung SyncMaster 915n and I really have enjoyed it.
          Things price is a little steep for me. What about the one i selected.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
            Things price is a little steep for me. What about the one i selected.
            Never owned Acer product before, therefore have no comments on it pro or con.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

The card i have supports DVI-I (according to pictures). Is it compatible with DVI-D.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I got a 20" Dell 2001FP with 1600x1200 for $200 used off of craigslist. They seem to go for around that price. I don't know if it is so great for gaming. 1280x1024 is just not future proof - you should go for 20 inches of pixels.

Comment

A lot of monitors support DVI so you have no worry there. Even so, your card should come with a DVI to VGA adapter so you'll be good for any kind of monitor.

A 19" is probably the biggest you want to get for an LCD. Any bigger and the resolution goes above 1280x1024. You've got a good idea keeping to a 1280x1024 resolution because I don't think your card can handle any higher for much longer.

Don't worry too much about ghosting. Just about every monitor these days have really good response times. If you're not too sensitive to refresh rates, you'll be fine with just about any monitor you choose. The thing to check is the viewing angles. The vertical and horizontal viewing angles should be above 150 degrees. Any less isn't horrible but you'll definitely be trying to adjust your position to avoid glare. That isn't a good experience so look for high viewing angles.

The Acer monitors look good according to the stats. Check the customer reviews for any problems. You may want to check the 19" widescreens as well. They're quite popular now and the pixel count is about the same as 1280x1024 so your card should be able to handle it similarly.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I got a 19 incher Samsung Syncmaster 932b and it is BEAUTIFUL.

Thanks for the support guys.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Contrast Ratio is the difference between white (all colors) and black (no color) the greater the ratio the more colors the monitor is able to produce. The human eye sees at 4000:1, most lcd screens for computers are between 700:1 and 2000:1 anything lower then 1000:1 is not worth it because lower contrast ratios cause banding of color (not a smooth transition) in my opinion any way, but my standards are pretty high for picture quality.

When this new tv technology called SEDTV (iirc) comes out contrast ratios will be in the 50,000:1 to 100,000:1 range. They debued the prototype at last years CES.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X