Troubleshooting Bioshock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting Bioshock

I just got Bioshock for Christmas (woot!), but I'm having some issues and I'm hoping for some idea as to what may be happening.

My specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2GHz (not overclocked)
    ATI Abit Radeon 9600XT w/ 256 MB onboard RAM
    1 GB RAM
    Windows Professional w/ SP 2

My problem:
    The game runs fine through adds and whatnot, I can even watch the opening cinematics, but once I get into actual gameplay I can't see anything. I get what I can only assume are raindrops hitting the screen that show up as black squares, and the ring of fire from the crash site. Nothing else is visible, and when I turn too far the whole screen blacks out. Audio is fine, I can tell I'm swimming in water, and I get occassional ripple effects from it on screen. It seems like an issue with my video card but I have no idea, I ran it on a friend's computer with the same results his is a bit of an upgrade from mine, but I'm not sure of the specs. I am reasonably certain my video drivers are updated so I'm just crossing my fingers that there is a known issue that doesn't require me to upgrade my computer.

Re: Troubleshooting Bioshock

Have you played with your settings?

I found that forcing DX9 via commandline switch (-dx9) solved a number of problems for me... though what you describe wasn't one of them.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

sounds like a driver issue but did you get the latest patches for the game as well? Also, just try putting everything on lowest settings and see if it runs. If it does, turn things up one at a time to see what the problem is.

Comment

Beyond making sure bioshock patched itself to v1.1
        http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/support/

I'd do some research to make sure your model of video card is compatible with bioshock.

The first screen shot in the link below seems similar to the rain drop effect you described.
        http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5680

Comment

It's pretty simple. Your video card isn't supported by BioShock. The 9600 is DX8 compatible but you need a DX9 card.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah, it seems Sarc and Squinty hit it on the head... orz

Time to shop around then I guess, any idea what the earliest version of a DX9 card is for ATI?

This also explains why Halo 1 doesn't work for me, and probably why I get such horrible framerate with Battleground 2.

Comment

If you're looking for the lowest DX9 card for BioShock, check the system requirements on the box. I believe it's the X1300 that will be able to run it. Although, something better may be needed because it's a demanding game.

Halo 1 may be another issue. That's a really old game.

Comment

yeah, but when I'm trying to play Halo I can't even get into the game's menus before it tells me I don't have DX9 installed (which I do)

I'm not sure about Halo, my computer runs these games just fine though:
                Half-Life 1&2, World of Warcraft, CS:S, Starcraft, Warcraft III, Company of Heroes, Doom III, IceWind Dale 1&2, Diablo 1&2, Final Fantasy XI, and Quest for Glory I-IV(lol).

Oh, and Civilization IV

Comment

The Halo is a different issue because your video card is supported. You do need DX9 installed but the video card doesn't have to be DX9 compliant. You might want to check if you have the latest version of DX9 installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829479 - Halo system requirements

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X