X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick memory question!

I got 2x1gb of Corsair ddr2 800

Timings on it are 5-5-5-12

I was thinking about trading it in for the same x 2 so I'd have 4gig total, but with the 4-4-4-12 timings since the price isn't much higher at all. I haven't been able to figure out if there is actually a decent performance gain there or not. Anyone have some insight on this. About $40 diff. between 4.1gb of 5-5-5-12 and 4x1gb of 5-5-5-12.

Appreciate the advice!

I also was looking at the corsair DDR2 800 that was 2x2GB for a total of 4gb. The timing on it was 5-5-5-18.

So...
    4x1gb @ 5-5-5-12
    4x1gb @ 4-4-4-12
    or
    2x2gb @ 5-5-5-18

YOU DECIDE! haha

Thanks.

Re: Quick memory question!

Unless you measure it with some performance tool, you most likely won't notice much of a boost on some applications. On other applications (perhaps Far Cry), you might notice faster load times and such.

In addition, if you're using a 32-bit OS, you won't see or be able to use all 4 GBs. If you're on Windows XP (32-bit) or Vista (32-bit), then you'd see about 3.2 GBs at most.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      Unless you measure it with some performance tool, you most likely won't notice much of a boost on some applications. On other applications (perhaps Far Cry), you might notice faster load times and such.

In addition, if you're using a 32-bit OS, you won't see or be able to use all 4 GBs. If you're on Windows XP (32-bit) or Vista (32-bit), then you'd see about 3.2 GBs at most.
      Maybe I should have listed my system specs

ASUS P5N32-E nForce 680i (Supports up to 8gb of memory)
      INTEL Core 2 Duo E6750
      Vista Ultimate 64bit
      GeForce 8600GTS 512mb

4x1GB @ 5-5-5-12
      4x1GB @ 4-4-4-12
      2x2GB @ 5-5-5-18 (Potential to upgrade to 8GB later on...By the time I did that I might be more interested in DDR3??)

Links to the sticks on New Egg above.

Still in for any advice on those three.

Comment

The 8600 will be the bottleneck in your system but the RAM will help with load times and general performance all around. For gaming though, it's not a huge impact.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
          The 8600 will be the bottleneck in your system but the RAM will help with load times and general performance all around. For gaming though, it's not a huge impact.
          Mmkay...thanks? I think you missed the point of my question. I want to know what people would pick and why.

Check out the specs on the EVGA 8600GTS Superclocked w/ 512mb

Higher core clock, higher memory clock than 8800s...only diff is 128mb less memory, 128-bit memory as opposed to 320-bit interface, and the big diff is only 32 stream procs as opposed to 4x that (128)...since stream procs are fairly new I think i'm good with 32 for now...oh yeah...and my card was 1/2 price of a decent 8800gt. : )

Comment

From past experience, I used to buy "performance" RAM exclusively, but for the most part, it has usually no little or no impact on my gaming experience.

Obviously, I just buy the "regular" stuff nowadays instead of the ones with the fancy LEDs and heatsinks.

EDIT:

I'd go for the 2 x 2 GBs. It'll give you room to add another 2 x 2 GB sticks of RAM 2-4 years down the road so you can convert your computer now to be used as a file server, etc.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              From past experience, I used to buy "performance" RAM exclusively, but for the most part, it has usually no little or no impact on my gaming experience.

Obviously, I just buy the "regular" stuff nowadays instead of the ones with the fancy LEDs and heatsinks.

EDIT:

I'd go for the 2 x 2 GBs. It'll give you room to add another 2 x 2 GB sticks of RAM 2-4 years down the road so you can convert your computer now to be used as a file server, etc.
              Thanks for the advice! + REP if I could : )

Comment

Well, you asked if there would be a decent performance gain over the memory timings. There won't be much of a difference since the 8600 is still the bottleneck. Having the 2x2GB will give you the option to expand to 8GB but you'd sooner want to upgrade your video card. Just because the clock speeds look good it doesn't mean it performs as fast as the higher end video cards. The memory interface and stream processors will really hold it back.

You got high end components for just about everything else in your system but you skimped by getting a budget video card.

Comment

I obviously chose a $150 video card for a reason instead of picking it over the 8800 because I thought it would be better. College student w/ 20 hours a semester + no time for a job = Not buying $400 video card when every other component in my system costs half of that...even the CPU. That being said, I definitely got a lot of bang for my buck. $400 cards at this point have a $150+ cost just for being the best out right now. I got a $200+ video card for $150 that blows almost every other card in it's class away. Maybe down the road I can use the EVGA step-up program and get an 8800, but they won't be $400 by then either. However, I sincerely thank you for the advice on the memory, but your arrogance about the video card I bought is not what I asked for. If you had to say anything about it you should have left it at calling it the bottleneck of my system. Other than that, learn to use some discretion when giving advice.
                  PLZKTHNX

Comment

Just giving some advice... sheesh. My point was that the RAM timings wouldn't make a difference because of the bottleneck. This brought up the point that you'd sooner want to upgrade your video card than getting more RAM. It's another point to consider and the decision is still yours.

You were being arrogant as well with the advice given, advice wanted or not. Saying, "mmmkay thx" is also unwanted so please use some discretion in the future. Ignore the advice or use it but don't be ungrateful.

Comment

You could have actually gone for some cheaper RAM, bought Home Premium instead of Ultimate (about $65 in savings) and spent the extra money you would have saved on a 8800GT (~$210 on NewEgg).

$210 for a 8800GT isn't that much. As one college student / gamer to another, spending a little extra on a better card is better than spending extra for some speedier RAM or a higher price Vista OS (w/ features you might not use).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The prices of system builder versions of Vista aren't that different. Regardless...I chose Ultimate and for about a $50 difference. I won't regret it and I may use the features that home premium doesn't have.

But really none of this is the point. My choice of video card isn't the point either. My thread is titled quick memory question. I listed three sticks of ram and asked which you would pick and why. I gave my system specs as an aid incase that helped you give me better advice. I'm not asking what you think I should have done differently in my build, but if you think my decision on a graphics card was poor...then my post was giving you the opportunity to help me make a "better" decision with my next purchase: Memory.

If I was rude, then I'm sorry...but I thought it seemed like you were coming off a little harsh. It's the interweb...who knows. I still have 80 days to take your advice and use the EVGA step up program to get an 8800. Not saying I will or won't.

Comment

That's your decision but if you can't utilize that step up program, you might be stuck with a budget video card. The RAM can be any choice because I don't think it'll make much of a difference considering the video card bottleneck. Load times might be faster with the lower latency RAM but that might even be too small to notice.

An alternative to Vista Ultimate may be checking with your school. MS has a MSDNAA program and depending on what your major is you could be eligible for a free copy of Vista. It probably won't be Ultimate edition but it's free. That'll save you a big chunk of money for something.

This is all in helping you build a system that you'll like. Although, I think I somehow misread your post. You seem to have already built the system and in that case there's not much you can do. I'd really keep with what you got now and save the RAM upgrade for a game.

Comment

I have the 5-5-5-12 memory, but it was a gift and is still packaged. I'm sending it back to NewEgg for a refund. I already ordered the 2x2GB modules with the 5-5-5-18 timing to leave the door open for 8GB memory in the future.

As far as the video card goes. I have had it for less than 30 days and I have New Egg 30 day exchange or refund option on it. I have been looking at some 8800s thanks to this post. Now I'm deciding if an extra 320mb of memory is worth $100+ on the 8800 GTS.

I play HL2, CS:S, BF2, and I would like to play Crysis. I play at a low 1280x1024 so the memory is probably not an issue.

These are the cards..

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB $334.99 after rebate (Comes with Crysis.. $50 value and I would be buying that anyway)
                            EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB $229.99

The 640mb version is clocked at 575 instead of 500...but I've heard of people clocking the 320 @ 600+ easily.

Comment

The 8800 GT might give you better framerates at 1280 x 1024 (if you run that resolution) since it does have a higher clock than the 500 mhz core clock of the GTS.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X