Another question about processors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question about processors

Hey folks, I am building a new system in the next month or so and am trying to get all of my ducks in a row so I can get the most bang for the buck. I have the hdd's, case, and memory (corsair xms2 6400, 2gb) and am going to go with the 512mb 8800gt GPU and will probably get an OCZ 750 or 1000w PSU. The thing is, I need to find a good speed comparison for AMD vs. Intel in the $120-$150 price range but can't find any recent comparisons when I google it. If any of you know of a good comparison could you please link it? I will determine mobo after I decide what proc to get. Also, I have never overclocked and probably (can never be 100% positive)will not o/c this one. Thx in advance =)
    |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
    I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Re: Another question about processors

Try: www.tomshardware.com

Click on the CPU Charts 2007 under the Processors category. It'll give you some pretty accurate performance numbers. "Speed" is relative and overall performance for whatever apps you plan on running should be the big factor.

Overall, it seems everyone agrees that the Core 2 Duo line is better than AMD's lineup and you can't go wrong (especially with the hardware setup you have going so far).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Awesome link Acreo!! I saw that one other time and completely forgot about it. They don't have the pentium e4600 so I did a comparison with the e4300 and the AMD 5600+ seems to be about 20% faster in gaming. Looks like I will be going with that (provided there is not a new round of procs out there when I build or a price drop on phenoms ;)....lol)

*edit, recommendations for mobo in the $80-150 range while we are here? Overclock functions would be nice if I were to get a wild hair and feel adventurous but not a real necessity.
      Last edited by avenging llama; 12-30-2007, 02:05 PM. Reason: another question
      |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
      I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

For your price range, I'd go with AMD. They have many CPUs in that price range that are pretty good. The AMD 5600+ sounds like a good one. If you drop the PSU to something in the 600W range, you can probably spring for a 6000+ CPU. Since you're getting a max $150 mobo, I don't think SLI would be one of the features of the mobo. So I don't think you'll need that much wattage.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

As far as motherboards, I hear a lot of good things about eVGA's entire line of motherboards. It seems even their recent nVidia 6100 chipset boards offer decent overclocking for C2Ds.

You can also have a look at some of the midrange and high-end ASUS boards. They have solid stability and overclocking is also pretty good.

Lastly, Foxconn was the overclocker's choice of board a few years back. They seem to have developed a following from the OC community. The only thing that I don't like is their lack of documentation (or little documentation) as well as only email support.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Wait for your next check and you could get a good dual core that is very overclockable.
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115032

Good to experiment on ;)
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              As far as motherboards, I hear a lot of good things about eVGA's entire line of motherboards. It seems even their recent nVidia 6100 chipset boards offer decent overclocking for C2Ds.

You can also have a look at some of the midrange and high-end ASUS boards. They have solid stability and overclocking is also pretty good.

Lastly, Foxconn was the overclocker's choice of board a few years back. They seem to have developed a following from the OC community. The only thing that I don't like is their lack of documentation (or little documentation) as well as only email support.
              LOL....definitely need to stay away from Foxconn then, I need all of the documentation I can get :P
              |TG-Irr|Avengingllama

Comment

I would suggest you get a motherboard with decent overclocking options. Not only will it give you the option in the future to overclock it can also be handy to have a bios with lots of options for making your system more stable at stock speeds. Sometimes memory needs a bit more voltage or the timings can be tighted up a bit to get things on track.

Check out this site if you want info on overclocking:

www.extremeoverclocking.com

I was gained a lot of info from reading their stickies and if you get stuck the forums are good.

If you go AMD try getting a Black or Black Box edition of the processor, it comes with an unlocked multiplier which if you decide to overclock may come in handy.

Comment

I was always stuck on AMD, but I did some research a little while after the Core2 came out... I bought the E6750 Core2 after that. I think AMD is catching up again, but I haven't done that much research lately. I'm very happy with my core2 though.

On the MOBOs check out eVGA and ASUS. ASUS has always had an amazing reputation for quality and support. eVGA recently earned it's rep in the mobo business. I believe it was their 680i intel board that earned them a lot of respect. They just came out with 780i boards as well. That board and any of the ASUS Ai boards are great. I'm using the ASUS P5N32-E 680i and loving it.

If you haven't purchased the video card yet...Check out the new 8800GTS with the G92 core. It's now every bit as powerful as the GT + a few extras. I believe it's about the same price. Comes with Crysis on New egg right now too.

Originally posted by Neski View Post
                  I also found the new GTS that has the G92 core. It has more stream processors, higher core clock, cooler temps, and more potential for overclocking. Word is that this leaves even the new GTs behind. Think that's the route I'm going to go and clock the core up to 700.

Stock Specs: $339
                  (EVGA lifetime warranty covers overclocking + has the step up program)
                  EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
                  670MHz Core Clock
                  128 Stream Processors
                  1940 MHz Memory Clock

Best EVGA 8800GT on NewEGG: $289
                  GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
                  650MHz Core Clock
                  112 Stream Processors
                  1900MHz Memory Clock

Good Info (Look for post by soulketcher680sli)
                  Read through that thread on SLIzone if you're interested.

Comment

Oh, and I don't recommend ECS Elitegroup if anyone here are considering them for their build. They are a budget board for those with money to waste and time to waste (aka hobby building when you decide you have enough disposable income to spend on building to-be-or-not-to-be junk PCs).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Oh, and I don't recommend ECS Elitegroup if anyone here are considering them for their build. They are a budget board for those with money to waste and time to waste (aka hobby building when you decide you have enough disposable income to spend on building to-be-or-not-to-be junk PCs).
                      I am trying to stick with the "big names", prefer MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, or Evga. I have been looking at the various boards and chips from intel and have noticed that the majority of them list 1066 or 1333 mhz memory. Problem is I already have 2gb of 800 mhz memory I got for xmas. Question for you is this, will most mobos downclock to the pc6400 speed and just have more room to OC or do I need to find a board that specifically lists pc6400? Thanks for any info and sorry bout switching topics on ya ;)
                      |TG-Irr|Avengingllama

Comment

Do you have links for the Intel boards you are looking at?

I didn't know Intel had made a complete switch over to DDR3 memory already.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would suggest you head over to www.anandtech.com.

They have a great number of unbiased articles and some great forums with very knowledgeable people.
                          |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Without knowing which boards you are looking at, it will depend on the memory supported by the motherboards. If they support both DDR2 and DDR3, then it would not be a problem if you used DDR 800 memory in the board. If, however, the board only supports DDR3, then you would have to use DDR3 memory or else the board may not boot (or do a number of unpredictable things).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Honestly, eVGA sounds like a good idea to me. For their reputation the company has and also price of their boards. I would also consider maybe getting the video card as eVGA, having a MB and video card made by the same company might help with performance. DDR3 just isn't wise to get right now IMO, cost is outrageous. If the MB supports it you could get some really fast DDR2 RAM that could almost compare to low end DDR3 speeds. Since you already have the PC6400 800Mhz memeory though I would just stick with that and be happy for now anyway.
                              I really think Intel would be a better way to go, Just add another $40 to the $150 for a total of $190 and get the E6750. that thing in comparison kicks butt, maybe cut back on something else so you could make this happen.
                              I also agree that you could slide by with a 600W PSU as long as it is a good one, Ultra is a good company for PSU's, I have one and so far no issues for over 2 years. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...503&CatId=1483 I believe this one would be good. I have the 550W X2 from Ultra.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X