Virtualization is the Bees Knees!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualization is the Bees Knees!

This stuff solves so many problems, especially for developers.

What I am talking about is running a computer within a computer. VMware, Virtual PC/Server and the products for Mac.

I can create a server, back up that image, completely trash it for testing/debugging reasons then restore the image in a matter of minutes.

But even if you don't develop software there are so many uses I am finding for it.

I have created a virtual PC for my son and daughter at home. Each has their own computer basically on one machine. And if they trash it buy installing some stupid malware no big deal. They have admin privileges on that machine only so I don't have to go and install software for them. I have the "computers" completely isolated for each other and the rest of the network. Add to that openDNS.com and you got yourself a pretty safe environment for the kids.

I also use it to try out beta software or alternate operating systems.

And it is free! Microsoft has a free version that will satisfy most users. I have heard that there is a way to get a free, slight stripped down version of VMware but I cannot confirm that.

EDIT

You are supposed to have a valid license for every instance of Windows you install. Keep that in mind. But if you go with a version of Linux no problem. Though I must say I don't have a problem with using the same license for my kids since they are using the same computer and only use it one person at a time at a time. Technically I might be breaking the rules but I have no moral qualms about it. And Microsoft doesn't seem to either. All instances registered just fine.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Virtualization is the Bees Knees!

VMWare has a free version they call "player"

it can run vmware machines, but among other limitations, it cannot create them.

easy way around this:

download a trial of VMWare 6, create a different blank VM for each OS you think you will ever use.

then you can just make copies of the vm and use the original as a "master"

I have used vmware since v4 and LOVE it. the website has thousands of free prebuilt vm's for just about any application.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

MS doesn't allow virtualization of all versions of Windows. There are some that are explicitly prohibited from running within a VM. This bites a few Apple users, who must reboot to use that flavor of Windows instead of running it within OSX.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        MS doesn't allow virtualization of all versions of Windows. There are some that are explicitly prohibited from running within a VM. This bites a few Apple users, who must reboot to use that flavor of Windows instead of running it within OSX.
        Which versions? I have done all the xp (business, professional, home) and vista (home to ultimate and business). While I haven't installed any Linux many of the podcasts and blogs I visit talk about doing just that. For servers there is Virtual server, also free and with that one I have done Up to 2003 Enterprise R2.

So I think you may be mistaken.

@DDogG

Ohhh, that is what the guy did! Thanks for the info.

I do like VMWare better. The player I was able to find (the one that operates within the browser) seemed a little buggy, however. Didn't always respond and going full screen was hit and miss. Is there another free one?
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          Which versions? I have done all the xp (business, professional, home) and vista (home to ultimate and business). While I haven't installed any Linux many of the podcasts and blogs I visit talk about doing just that. For servers there is Virtual server, also free and with that one I have done Up to 2003 Enterprise R2.

So I think you may be mistaken.

@DDogG

Ohhh, that is what the guy did! Thanks for the info.

I do like VMWare better. The player I was able to find (the one that operates within the browser) seemed a little buggy, however. Didn't always respond and going full screen was hit and miss. Is there another free one?
          VMWare server is free and allows you to create and edit VM machines. it is supposed to be for servers, but I have not found any differences.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

This seems to clarify the VM issues:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=157

There's also this about transferring a license from one machine (or VM) to another:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...ing-terms.aspx
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              This seems to clarify the VM issues:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=157

There's also this about transferring a license from one machine (or VM) to another:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...ing-terms.aspx
              Oh, I see. It is a license issue and not a technical one. Thanks.

Comment

Both Microsoft and VMware offer free versions of their virtual server applications. In the past I used MS Virtual Server but found myself switching to VMware as it does not require IIS installation to manage the virtual machines and it provides direct access to USB ports.

Both run fine on top of Windows XP (or 2000 if you still use it).

Here are the download links for both products:
                VMware Server: http://vmware.com/download/server/
                Microsoft Virtual Server: http://vmware.com/download/server/
                |TG-Irr| Demarcus

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed