moving large files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving large files

is there a way to move large files from one computer to the next (without enabling file sharing via the router) from a desktop to a laptop? the largest media i ahve is a 1GB usb stick, but that isnt large enough for copying some things over, i know a DVD-RW is an option but that would take a fairly long time as well
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: moving large files

External HD's go on sale for as low as 69.99 for my 250 GB one. Now that was a steal :)
    Skud

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...humb+drive+8gb

they go even bigger.
      I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
        is there a way to move large files from one computer to the next (without enabling file sharing via the router) from a desktop to a laptop? the largest media i ahve is a 1GB usb stick, but that isnt large enough for copying some things over, i know a DVD-RW is an option but that would take a fairly long time as well

The old way, using a null modem cable ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

What's wrong with moving the files over the router? The network connection would be the fastest and easiest.

You could also use a crossover network cable that would be like a null modem cable connection but fast like a network connection.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The only way your going to move data sets bigger than 1GB in a short time frame will be over a network connection. If you're really pressed for time that network will need to be a Gigabit LAN.

You could setup acftp and use that to FTP files from one computer to the other.
            You could also try the FileZilla server and client.

Good Luck!
            |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

i found a solution, i have a 60gb hard drive i use daily without it occuring to me

my iPod =D