Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2?!?!

I see Nvidia must be getting closer to releasing their next line of video cards. A couple places I have already checked out have already got some info on them but not much. Hope it isn't to much longer cause I am hoping to build a new computer in about 1 more month, be nice if they are out by then and not cost an arm and a leg. Most likely I will still have to think about the 8800GT though due to cost if they are available by then.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/...force_9800gx2/

Re: Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2?!?!

=DW= Hitman stays very current on graphics cards. Nvidia is apparently going to release their graphics cards in reverse order this time around from low to high which is different then in the past. I thought I remember him sending me a link stating that the 9600 was due out in March with the 9800 to be released at some later point.

Lucky Shot

Comment

They probably will cost an arm and a leg plus an eye. Well, the Tom's link says the expected price is 450 so that definitely puts it as more expensive than the 8800GT. This is definitely a high end card so check to see if your budget can handle the typical pricing.

You might have to wait a couple of weeks when you're at the point to buy a new system. The expected release date says Feb. 14 so it's around the time you want to buy. You can always try the eVGA step-up program to get your hands on one of these 9800GX2's if you can deal with the waiting and paperwork.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Kinda funny that NVidia has a new flagship card card called the 9800. Sounds awfully like a ATI!!
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Don't get confused with the naming convention. It's just an 8000 series chip (though on a 65 nm die) and the 9800 gx2 is just two boards stuck together in SLI (their answer to ATI's 4x crossfire). It's a waste of money, wait until ATI gets their crap together and puts out a beefy card so Nvidia will finally put out their next gen architecture.
          USAR

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
            I see Nvidia must be getting closer to releasing their next line of video cards. A couple places I have already checked out have already got some info on them but not much. Hope it isn't to much longer cause I am hoping to build a new computer in about 1 more month, be nice if they are out by then and not cost an arm and a leg. Most likely I will still have to think about the 8800GT though due to cost if they are available by then.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/...force_9800gx2/
            Jesus that card looks like a retarded overgrown whale.

The power requirements will be steep...
            Skud

Comment

I agree with SARC. Go with the eVGA and take advantage of the 90 day step up program. I am 98% sure that eVGA also has a lifetime warranty that covers overclocking. Make sure to register the card on the website when you get it though.

I also heard something about Nvidias next cards just being two G92 chips from the 8800 slapped together. To counter the AMD cards? They will probably wait until ATI releases something decent before Nvidia shows us whats really next. I believe the new 8800GTS is the last 8000 series card to be released though.

At the rate cards are going it sounds like we'll be having 2 chips on each GPU with 4 cores on each chip and have to quad-sli them. I thought as technology progressed, things were supposed to get smaller, more efficient. We've got cards that are about a foot long and we're having to buy bigger and bigger PSUs.

Comment

The die shrink to 65nm makes the GPU more efficient but that also means we can pump more power through it for higher clock speeds.

Comment

I was going to buy an 8800Ultra but changed my mind and was considering on 2-8800GT's instead but then I just said heck with that and thought 1-8800GT would due. Now I am thinking of getting a low end card that will just scrape me by on PR and buy the 9800 GX2 when it becomes available(MAYBE).
                  As far as ATI getting their act together I think we might be waiting for a while, seems like they are out of the race for now. Plus I don't care at all for their drivers, seems like they can never get a good driver for their cards, maybe the driver might work with one or two of the cards real well but a lot of them they just suck.

I will need to do a lot more readin up on the 9800 GX2 before I really make a decision to get it though, would also like to see a comparison chart with actual games to see how it is comparing to the other cards.

Comment

After doing some more reading up on what little is available about the 9800 GX2 i do believe I will just stick with the 8800GT till something a little better comes out from Nvidia.
                    Just about all I have read did say they are basically 2-8800Ultras running in SLI mode but ccan of course be paired up with abother 9800 GX2 to run quad SLI. To me that deos not sound like a big step forward. But also ATI isn't putting any push on them to get another card out on a different design either.

Comment

I've heard that they will be a smaller bump up in terms of graphical power. I'm planning on building a PC "soon" (whenever I have the time, ha) and I would welcome a super beefy, super expensive 9000 series, so the prices on the 8800s will drop and I can get a DirectX 10 card.
                      Please forgive my frequent grammar and game knowledge flubs; I'm rusty in both areas. :)

Hope to playing BF 2142 and COD 4 on the TG server as soon as I've built a respectable PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Geranium View Post
                        I've heard that they will be a smaller bump up in terms of graphical power. I'm planning on building a PC "soon" (whenever I have the time, ha) and I would welcome a super beefy, super expensive 9000 series, so the prices on the 8800s will drop and I can get a DirectX 10 card.
                        Don't bet on the older cards getting cheaper. It's common for the older cards to stay at roughly the same price and sell until stock is gone. When the 8800GTS G92 version came out, the old 8800GTS stayed at pretty much the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                          Jesus that card looks like a retarded overgrown whale.

The power requirements will be steep...
                          smaller architecture = more efficiency, less power needed to produce more speed,