• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I had an idea for a game..

.. what would I do to make it reality?
    <<<<Magic!!

-F- Concr3te: "Brutus, goddammit, shut up!"

Re: If I had an idea for a game..

1) Write your design document. You pen a bible that answers EVERYTHING. Online or offline, number of characters, levels, player abilities, control system, all that good stuff.
    2) Determine how you're going to make it. Are you making a puzzle game or a shooter or an RPG or what? If it's a small game, like a puzzle game or a platformer knockoff (like a Megaman or Mario Bros) you're probably best off setting aside a year of free time and teaching yourself to program in C++ and building it from the ground up. You'll learn a lot and you'll be able to do it by yourself. You may or may not succeed. If you want to go big, you'll be best off modding an engine. Source is obviously one option that has a large userbase and lots of home-modder support from both the community and the company. Other engines are around and require differing amounts of effort to use. The key is, the more modern the engine the more work you'll need to put into it to make your mod work.
    3) Work. There's a lot to do and only the rare jack-of-all-trades can do it all and if he does he'll be doing it for a very very long time. I won't even get into the drama of forming a modding team and making it work, there are plenty of mod post-mortems that explain what can and will go wrong.

So, where are you and what do you want to make? Can you code in C++ or another significant language? Is it a simple game or a complex game? (I.E., what year would it be comparable to? Unreal Tournament was PC 1999, Goldeneye 007 was Console 1996 if I recall correctly, Megaman was NES 1987...) Can you create your own art for the game or will art be needed? Do you have the time and self-motivation to learn to do all the things you don't know how to do yet?

Comment

Also think realistically and in small chunks (good advice from professors that I've had who are game developers).

You don't want to think to abstractly or envision too grandly, otherwise you might not ever get the project done and/or you won't seem to be satisfied with your work.

You might also want to look at lower-priced engines to run your game instead of trying to get a license for Unreal 3 (for example) or coding one yourself (unless you are a programming whiz).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Many engines, such as Source and (at least the older) Unreal engine(s) were free for non-profit mods. But yeah -- if you want to sell it, you're going to be looking at a long series of zeroes after a "$1" to get rolling.

Comment

Wideload Games (here in Chicago) paid over 7 figures for their license of Unreal 3's engine. I hope that gives you some perspective as to the cost of building your own game from scratch if you plan on using the "latest and greatest".
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What if I wasn't able to do it myself? How could I go about selling the idea or something?
            <<<<Magic!!

-F- Concr3te: "Brutus, goddammit, shut up!"

Comment

You can try marketing the concept for a publisher/company and use the money the company provides to hire people to form a development team.

From my own questions on the topic, the usual (unofficial) answer I've gotten is that you either have a very well planned out extended treatment of your "game idea" or it is so breakthrough that they'll snatch it up on the spot. To me that translates to: a tough time getting money for it.

For starters, go through Magna's first reply. Most of what he stated is what you need for an extended treatment of your idea so it's at least marketable later on.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Selling an idea is tough and all you could do is have a very good design document. The problem is that ideas are a dime a dozen. Pulling off the development is the really hard part because that's when money is used.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

And of course, you can't patent an idea. Unless you're a big company in which you can do anything. But you're not so you must obey the law and the law states you cannot patent an idea, and you can only copyright a work, so if you try to sell it, they'll just steal it. :D

Comment

Why can't you patent an idea? The whole point of a patent is to protect an idea.

Comment

The point of a patent is to encourage innovation by granting a temporary protection against cloning of a device. That way, Joe Average can either have a number of years to produce his Wizbang Gizmo or to sell it to Huge Faceless Co. and make some money, rather than having Huge Faceless Co. copy Joe's design wholesale and flood the market.

It's supposed to be a way for society to reward the little guy for creating products that benefit the public. That's long forgotten of course, but the theory remains.

Patenting an idea is censorship, which is why the copyright and patent issues are always making news in the tech sector. Too many ideas have been dressed up as inventions; the Business Method Patent shattered the floodgates and drowned all reason. They've allowed dime-a-dozen idea men to patent ideas that in time become bear traps for people who actually want to create something. That's why ideas must not be patentned -- a patented idea owned by someone who isn't going to make anything from it does nothing but prevent inventions from coming into being since as soon as someone makes a similar-enough invention, the idea patent holder files a lawsuit. And then what? Do we award the rights to the patent holder? What more chilling an effect could you have on invention than allowing do-nothings to be given inventors' inventions? Short of lynching anyone who builds anything, of course.

Comment

Well said Magna. I applaud you. *claps* :)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Huh? So your point is that we can't patent useless ideas; we can only patent ideas that will be put to good use. Innovations and inventions are ideas. Joe Average's patent is a patent protecting his idea for the Wizbang Gizmo. Useful innovations and useful inventions are useful ideas. All patents are patents for ideas.

That some patents are used to the to keep innovations from coming to the marketplace is besides the point. It may be true that that's bad. It does not mean that ideas cannot or should not be patented. As you say, the whole point of patent laws is to protect the little guy's new ideas that benefit the public.

Perhaps you confuse the notion of "idea" with that of "idea which will not be put to good use." That would be a mistake. These are not the same. You may be right that we shouldn't or can't patent ideas which will not be put to good use, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't or can't patent ideas.

Comment

"So your point is that we can't patent useless ideas"

No one can patent any idea. Patents are not patents for ideas, they are patents on creations. The result of taking mental energy and using it to guide motive force in the REAL WORLD, not just bouncing it around in your magical unicorn dream land imagination waiting for someone to muse similarly so you can give their money to your lawyers.

Comment

"Copyrighting/Patenting" an idea merely gives you the right to claim you were the 1st to think of it once someone else comes along and actually engineers an appropriate solution. Hopefully, that engineer does his homework and cites your idea in his foreward or some such thing so you can get some kind of notoriety for it.

Anyways, as far as Game Design goes... there are some good templates online (google is god) that you can use to point you in the right direction. A good and thorough game design has been known to garner monies from investors if done smartly - even if the designer has no coding experience. (which is pretty common)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X