Core 2 Duos/Quad and Overclocking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core 2 Duos/Quad and Overclocking?

I've narrowed down my choice of processors for my build and I need some information so I know what my options are...

1. Can anyone who owns a C2D 6550 tell me how easy it is to overclock their's to 3 Ghz and what the "average" temperature the processor is when running on load with the stock HSF?

2. Same question for the quad-core Q6600.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Core 2 Duos/Quad and Overclocking?

I can tell you that I overclocked my E6400 to 3Ghz no problem.

Google around and I bet you can find more results on each processors overclockability.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'm on E6600 and I'm running at 3.375GHz/1500FSB stable on stock fan, sink, and even stock paste. I've gone higher but had issues. I don't obsess over temperature because it's either working or not.

Comment

I read that quad cores are little bit more difficult to overclock and get any great increases compared to a dual core. EXCEPT for ther newer Penryn processors, articles I read about them claim they can actually gain quite a bit when overclocking them or at least the QX9650, it can get can go to 4.0Ghz with stock cooling from the 3.0Ghz stock speeds. Water cooling I think they can get close to 4.5Ghz or a little better. Of course that is only the one processor I read about that they overclocked and does not mean the whole line of Penryn chips will do as good as it did but the articles I read think they will, especially the dual cores, they think they will go a lot farther than the quad cores.

Comment

I do not have any plans on clocking my future processor anywhere near the 4 GHz line. I just want to clock it to about 3 GHz so I can get the 10-15% performance boost so I can save some time when I'm encoding video and during boot up.

Of course my next question is this:

How do I go about overclocking my CPU?

Am I going to be spending a lot of time slowing raising the speed and testing rigorously or can I jump double/triple digits?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

There are a number of technical flaws in the Duo, however while they were a panic of the week when they were discovered and enumerated, I haven't heard anyone having a real problem with them.

First of all, how good is your BIOS? If your BIOS is lame you'll have a hard/impossible time clocking it up. What you're looking for is Multiplyer, Front Side Bus, and Memory Ratio. For the record, my EVGA 680i has a wonderful BIOS, but the board has a glitch that makes the keyboard beep and cause keys to "stick" if the system is at all warm.

First step is to bump your multiplyer to max. On the E6600 you're limited to [x9]. E6400 is locked to [x8] if I recall. Move it one step for safety, since you might have a dud chip for all you know. Once you're up to 2.8G+, you're ready to start adjusting your Front Side Bus. Note the way the math works, my system for example:

1500FSB is code for quad-pumped 375MHz northbridge, x9 = 3375MHz CPU clock.

I run a 2:1 memory ratio so my 1500 quad-pumped FSB polls memory at 750MHz. Now, what's notable here is the memory is supposedly good to 800MHz (400MHz Northbridge dual-channeled) but I run it lower for stability. Because memory and CPU are linked by the ratio, every time I nudge my CPU up my RAM goes up too, and RAM loves to get unstable and it's a pain to work with because the timings are messy and you run into dud chips that cause trouble and I can't be bothered spending money on multiple kits of ram just to get +1%. Also, in Source games, CPU is king and RAM is trivial, so I get a major performance profit by pushing my processor and underclocking my ram.

tl;dr. What you're going to do is keep nudging your CPU speed higher, and use the RAM multiplyer to keep the ram speed from going over its limit, likely 800MHz/DC but if you're on a different RAM (I'm using PC3200) you might have a different red line. Eventually you should find a point similar to mine that runs solidly and you're done.

Write down every config you test. You don't need to move one tiny unit at a time, but don't take great leaps. Whenever your system fails to boot, load windows, throw an error, or lock, mark the bad config, back off, find the limit, and then try ratio changes to see if you can still push CPU or RAM or neither. If you have access to voltage controls, you can try pushing those up one step or two to make a shakey configuration try harder. Higher voltage causes more "wear" on the components, but since a system isn't likely to last a decade (Intel engineers its default settings to be 10-year guaranteed) you're not likely to mind burning brighter for a shorter time.

Cooling: Stock cooling is plenty for this sort of everymans' overclocking. Just be sure to close all the vent holes. Add fans if you need to but ensure you have a nice straight line of fan-powered air flow. Normally, in the front and side, and out the back. Vent holes leak airflow power and raise temperatures - they're only useful on systems that don't have an in-flow fan. Use big fans if you can get 'em and if they will fit. If your case stinks, get a Dremel and cut some fan ports.

Comment

I have actually already picked a eVGA 680i chipset motherboard (believe it's the $94 one at NewEgg).

As for airflow, everything is going into a Antec P180B (in the front, out the back and top).

Thanks for the write up Magna, much appreciated. Now I at least have some background to fall to once I get my parts and I'm ready to push the CPU higher. :) +rep
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Since you're in the boat, I'll elaborate.

The issue with the board is you'll be playing, hear a beep (during which your mouse doesn't seem to move) and one of the keys you had down gets stuck until you push it again, which can lead you to just kinda trot off into bullets. It's not a big deal if you're prepared for it, but it's still an issue.

Running on the timings I mention, it (almost) never happens, but it becomes a problem if I push it any further. Some people say they don't have a problem with USB keyboards; others say a PS/2-to-USB adapter solves the problem but others say neither of those options helped. Also, some say later hardware revisions are better about the issue.

Anyway, it didn't bother me enough to consider RMA or anything, but do pay attention to it when testing your overclocking. You can disable the system Beep system in Windows, too. It won't stop the effect, but it mitigates the symptoms and prevents the beep tone.

Comment

I don't think I'll disable the beep tone. It's there for a reason, no point in negating it lest something really goes wrong.

So the whole "key gets stuck and beep tone" thing doesn't happen often...so if it does, then is it a good idea to clock it back down a bit so that annoyance doesn't happen?

Also how easy is it to update the BIOS on eVGA boards (never owned one, but NewEgg reviewers always say "easy" without any explanation)? Is it as simple as ASUS?

And if I accidently load the wrong BIOS onto the board, can I downgrade or load the right one on there (like my ASUS board can)?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm not interested in the beep tone; if something is going significantly wrong, the beep is the least obvious indicator.

I found a comfortable balance between performance and stability and the beep issue is mitigated to the point that I am not concerned by it. Your milage may vary.

BIOS update is BIOS update. You prepare the media, reboot, and pray it worked. :D I've never bothered to update on mine. In my opinion, BIOS is an "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" situation.

If you load an incompatible BIOS, you're pretty sure to need to boot another 680i system, pop out its BIOS chip, put in the one you ruined, re-flash it appropriately, and pray. If you load a new version and want to go back that should not be a problem.

Comment

Hmm. I didn't ruin my ASUS BIOS chip when I loaded the wrong BIOS in. All I had to do was upload in the right one and all was fine (my board doesn't have the dual-BIOS feature).

So the BIOS update is as hazardous as it has been in the past...great.

Anything else I should be aware of on the eVGA motherboards?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So you were trolling to see if you could "get me." Well played, +1 you.

Not that I know of, other than the little northbridge fan was unnecessarily annoying to install.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                          So you were trolling to see if you could "get me." Well played, +1 you.

Not that I know of, other than the little northbridge fan was unnecessarily annoying to install.
                          The size of the screw are unreasonably SMALL D:

Comment

I too have one of those boards. I'll agree with the fan issue, what a pain. Also, Intel's HSF mounts are a pain....I went with a Zalman heatpipe fan, but I dont' know if it will fit in that case.
                            I think the BIOS is easier to update than an ASUS, but that's probably b/c I've had ASUS boards in the P3/P4 days that had to have different utilities for every bios, it seemed.

Also, with where the SATA cables are, I found it much easier to mount all that you might concievably use and number them with a marker or tape so that you can tell which is which.

The other thing I've noticed: I have an Antec 900 case, and the power supply is at the bottom, but this leads to all kinds of difficulties routing wires that aren't quite long enough to run around the board for the main power, EPS12V (which you may want to make sure you have the plug for) and others.

Comment

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the joy that is trying to get a SATA cable in an upside-down rotated socket that's buried beneath your expansion cards.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X