• Soundcard advice !

I'm looking to get a new sound card.

Is this on good enough?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006
    or should I spend almost double on this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102005

Thanks for you help......

Re: Soundcard advice !

The expensive one has a MIDI port which is good if you have a controller I suppose. Otherwise the only thing I see seperating them is a bunch of marketing handwavium about "X Ram" which is clearly mysterious and special because it starts with the letter X. You can't just use the letter X willy-nilly after all.

I'd go with this because Creative is Evil like Microsoft and Google and Apple. It also has better reviews. The only downside with going with a non-CLabs card is you can't get at EAX effects -- EAX2 is liberated but beyond that it's CLabs-exclusive -- which may or may not be significant in games like counterstrike where your life depends on placing footsteps. While most of EAX can jump off a bridge for all I care, I do recall having better 3D spacial clues on Audigy2 than my HTO/C. But not enough that I regret the purchase or would go back to the CLabs card. Though I do wish they would've released the HTO/C+ a little sooner. I hate missing a hardware revision by a month.
    Last edited by MagnaCentipede; 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

LOL Magna I love your tech posts :row__593:

I would not bother with the fatality model. If you want to spend that much get the Auzentech Prelued (I think its Prelude). Basically its a creative labs x-fi xtremegamer but they built it using much better components. The end result is much better sound quality and you still get EAX.

However if all you have is onboard sound and a tight budget get the first card you linked. It will be a nice step up from onboard sound.

Comment

If you're on a budget then the CLabs Value whatever-they-call-it-this-month is plenty.

The trick is to read the spec sheets and see what the sound processor is. If the $40 and the $140 have the same sound chip, it's the same card if all you're going to do is plug your Sony (brb, facepalm) headphones into it. The higher price is usually going itno things like MIDI, optical lines, and component quality. That's why HTO is rather high, they use solid-state everything. That means no electrolytic capacitors. Those are the big blue cans on a circuit board that start to rot after a while. Bad ones burst, but usually they just drift out of spec, which isn't a big deal for power supplies, but can be serious business on electronics.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
          I pretty much play BF2/PR only. So, EAX is a priority.
          The main difference on those 2 cards is the processor.
          96kHz vs. 196kHz

Comment

One, how good are your ears? Two, how good are your headphones? If your headphones are inferior, who cares about the sample rate? If your ears are inferior, who cares about the sample rate?

High sample rates are important if you're in the music business, since you'll be processing the sounds you work with and thus you need extra quality as headroom. But for crapping little kabooms through your Sony ZOMG UBER BASS LOL headphones, you don't need anything more than 48000. Most games are using compressed (MP3) sounds anyway, so it's not like you're going to shine that turd into a diamond by using 196kHz.

Your next step is to look up that model of sound card and your motherboard. Find out if anyone has had technical issues with it. If I recall, a number of CLabs cards of the recent era like pumping static and cutting out because CLabs is huge and faceless and everyone buys them anyway.

Comment

I've actually been recommending the Striker (instead of the more expensive Claro): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271001

If you're an audiophile (or wannabe) and have yourself a nice pair of headphones (Grado SR-60, etc.) or nice speakers (THX certified Logitechs, etc.) and wanted to experience some of your uncompressed music in rich glorious detail, then get a more expensive card. Otherwise, you won't notice much difference with a $80 card compared with that of a $180 card.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Striker has a more primitive chipset; CMedia 8770 vs 8788.

Grado... I hear they're okay for guitar addicts. I went with the K701 and waited patiently for them to burn in. (And yes, they really do require burn-in.)

Comment

Get the cheaper card. The Fatality card isn't really worth it for gaming or anything else really. Fatality has the X-RAM but virtually no games use it.

There's the Auzen card that has the X-Fi chip. I've seen screenshots of the drivers and they look like the Creative drivers with the Auzen logo added. Basically, I think it's the same thing as getting the Creative X-Fi.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                    Striker has a more primitive chipset; CMedia 8770 vs 8788.

Grado... I hear they're okay for guitar addicts. I went with the K701 and waited patiently for them to burn in. (And yes, they really do require burn-in.)
                    Hmm, what's the big difference between the 8770 and the 8788?

Well the thing with good headphones is it depends on the listener. Some like heavy bass response, others like a good ranging mid and treble with some precise bass but not muddy. It also depends heavily on the type of music you frequently enjoy as well. And lastly, budget.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have an X-Fi fatality card.....it's nice, but the driver support is awful.
                      Auzentech (sp?) seems to be better about that and they have X-fi support.

I'll agree about the headphones....I went from a low-end pair of sennheisers and a pair of sony headphones to a pair of Sennheiser HD-280Pro headphones....WOW.

Then again, I have the "Drive" with the volume control on it that I think uses the floppy power connector for power for its amps.....

I had issues with the soundblaster on an Intel P965 board, but I think it was the board. I've heard issues with the EVGA 680i, but I'm using it and have none.

Also, there's now a PCI-Express soundblaster X-fi.....if you need your pci slots for something else.

Comment

"Hmm, what's the big difference between the 8770 and the 8788?"

Not a lot; newer hardware revision, higher sample rate support (96k v 192k, much like what we discussed on the CLabs models), the usual.

Comment

Watching this thread. I'm shopping for an audio card for my game rig, wanting to spend some of my xmas bonus.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                            "Hmm, what's the big difference between the 8770 and the 8788?"

Not a lot; newer hardware revision, higher sample rate support (96k v 192k, much like what we discussed on the CLabs models), the usual.
                            Oh. I thought there was something special with the 8788.

Either way, I think I'll stick with the Striker unless I find I have enough funds for the Claro. :)

I think the second feature that attracted me to the Omegas is the "solid-state capacitors".
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Polymer caps are hawt. And they're as easy to pull from junk boards as electrolytics.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X