Intel details its 45nm assault for early 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel details its 45nm assault for early 2008

Just passing on this news out this morning. Intel is looking to have another good year, and is supposed to have 8 core CPUs out by next Christmas.

Check out these release dates:
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13878

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Intel details its 45nm assault for early 2008

Ok, after 8 cores where do they go? It is difficult to fully utilize 8 cores in a heavily used business application with about 10,000 users, let alone a desktop app with one application.

Bigger and bigger cache? Restart the clock speed increments? Some other feature?

When do CPUs become commodities?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
      When do CPUs become commodities?
      When the next generation comes out.

Comment

lol. It will be interesting to see where they go, I'm sure they will find something to do.

Comment

Probably effecincy. Keep the same performance but use less power and produce less heat. I would think once they get to quads and 8 core as main stream they will have no choice but to up the speeds. I can't see programmers catching up at the rate they are going to release increased cores. Of course if they come up with an easy method to program multi core and its widely used then the cores will start to ramp up again.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            Ok, after 8 cores where do they go? It is difficult to fully utilize 8 cores in a heavily used business application with about 10,000 users, let alone a desktop app with one application.
            That's not surprising. I would expect business apps to be I/O-bound, not CPU-bound. Getting the numbers to/from disk or terminal is going to take longer than adding them together.

To use 8 cores effectively, you need an application that's CPU-intensive. Graphic rendering fits that bill, and AMD's merging of the CPU and GPU may make that need more common. Games, CAD, and multimedia authoring all have need for rendering.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              That's not surprising. I would expect business apps to be I/O-bound, not CPU-bound. Getting the numbers to/from disk or terminal is going to take longer than adding them together.

To use 8 cores effectively, you need an application that's CPU-intensive. Graphic rendering fits that bill, and AMD's merging of the CPU and GPU may make that need more common. Games, CAD, and multimedia authoring all have need for rendering.
              CAD and multimedia processing/authoring can always use more CPU. But really that is in the realm of workstation and not PC.

Games are, of course, the primary use of multiple processing. But let us put that aside for just a second.

Most mainstream business and single user applications can benefit a certain amount from multiple cores. And being able to run 4 or 5 of those applications will benefit even more. Add on things like VOIP and video decoding and I can see where the average consumer and business user can benefit from octocore technology.

But after that I just don't see it. I know this sounds like the famous "640k is all they will ever need" but I think it is different.

Back to games, yes that is an area where 12 and 16 cores could be used so that cinema level graphics and more complex physics and user interactions can happen. But what is the size of that market? Enough to support Intel and AMD?

I am not saying there isn't the market or that the market won't grow. I just don't see it.

Possibly if some of the server stuff starts happening in the home like streaming media.

Another thing that could drive demand is having hundreds of little applications loosely working together. Think Google gears.

Or maybe expanding who can write software. It is pretty easy with modern day development tools to write applications that do amazing things. But usually they are not the most efficient of apps. With more power you can use code that is more generalized but not as efficient.

I don't know, it is interesting.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

almost makes me want to jump back on the intel bandwagon since AMDs next gen looks to be comming in a distant second, unless they have something unannounced