Wireless Gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Gaming

I'm going to get back into Battlefield sometime this summer or sooner, once I've built a decent PC. Right now I've got a D-link wireless router and I was wondering- should I buy a wi-fi card for my new PC or just stick with wired, and run a ethernet cable half way across the house? Do any of you play on wireless? If so, how's the speed? Decent ping, etc?

Thanks,
    Paul (Geranium)
    Please forgive my frequent grammar and game knowledge flubs; I'm rusty in both areas. :)

Hope to playing BF 2142 and COD 4 on the TG server as soon as I've built a respectable PC.

Re: Wireless Gaming

Wired. Always wired. Always.

Wireless is a great thing for portable computers and for temporary setups, but you're just asking for trouble when you bring something important like video games into the equation.

A stripper, a spool, and some plugs, and you're ready to wire your whole house. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Geranium View Post
      I'm going to get back into Battlefield sometime this summer or sooner, once I've built a decent PC. Right now I've got a D-link wireless router and I was wondering- should I buy a wi-fi card for my new PC or just stick with wired, and run a ethernet cable half way across the house? Do any of you play on wireless? If so, how's the speed? Decent ping, etc?

Thanks,
      Paul (Geranium)

Play on wireless all the time and don't experience any problems. Much more convenient. Well, one. Had a microwave directly between the router and computer and when it came on the connection would drop. Moved it over about 12 inches and the problem went away.

You wireless will probably be faster than your internet connection so probably not a problem there. And ping is not a problem in the least. (The speed of light and the distance typical wireless works means it is effectively zero.)
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

"Had a microwave directly between the router and computer and when it came on the connection would drop."

Death by crit burrito.

Comment

I've played over wireless before without problems. Although, my wireless router is for a small apartment so the signal is good throughout the place. If you can get a good connection without interference, you shouldn't be affected when gaming.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Wow, some varying answers! I'm moving before I am going to start gaming w/ a pc seriously online, so I will check my wireless signal there. Thanks for the responses- Just goes that Wi-Fi is one of those things that varies so much depending on location, etc.
            Please forgive my frequent grammar and game knowledge flubs; I'm rusty in both areas. :)

Hope to playing BF 2142 and COD 4 on the TG server as soon as I've built a respectable PC.

Comment

I just got a wireless router and have not used it for gameing. If you have a laptop or can borrow one I would try and test the signal and see how things look. I never get 100% signal strength with my laptop if Im one floor above, however I don't know how that affects ping? Test if at all possible first then buy.

Comment

Wireless has no effect on Internet speed. Wireless at its worst is 11 Mbps, faster than most ISP's will run to your house.

The only issue with wireless is interference from other wireless users (how far are you from other potential wireless users?) and other radio sources (like the microwave mentioned above). Choose a non-default channel to make sure you're not competing with a neighbor for the same bandwidth. Choose a non-default SSID so that others can't guess what kind of router you have and don't try to hack it. Use encryption to keep it all to yourself, so someone doesn't try to park outside and use your connection.

Wired has its own problems. It's easy to make a poor connection, and you need to buy a tester to make sure you got it right. Running the wire is a PITA if you want to dress it into the construction right. OTOH, once you get it done, it does add value to the house. Home-run the wiring to your telephone closet (where telephone and cable come into the house) and put your router there, and put RJ45 jacks in every room, and you've got a nice setup for the future. Use CAT 5e or CAT 6 in case you want to add gigabit Ethernet later.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Signal strength does not affect Internet ping. But it can cause the card to switch down to a lower speed, which will hurt local file transfers within your LAN (ie. between your own PCs). As I said, lowest wireless speed is faster than Internet speed, but it's a lot slower than LAN speed.

Games are not worried about bandwidth, they're worried about latency. Dropping speed affects bandwidth, but doesn't significantly affect latency. Local file transfers are the bandwidth users.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I have never tried gaming over wireless, but I do know that the tech forums I cruise are full of people having problems doing it, with random connections issues, drops from servers, high pings, etc.
                    Good news though is all the stuff getting shown at the CES show this week, including a lot of wireless N products, which will be so much better for gaming due to its better range, multiple antenna, and a different frequency (I think like 5 instead of 2.4).
                    Engadget.com has had a lot of posts about it over the last 3 days. Search for N or Netgear (I remember some from them).
                    Also, you might want to notice that some computer MBs are now shipping with wireless AP built in. I just built a new rig with an ASUS motherboard that came with an antenna and everything. It is the Asus P5K Deluxe Wi-Fi model, and they have one in the $130 range. Don't know that I will ever use wireless (unless I get around to buying an Iphone) but it is nice to have a an awesome MB.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Also just came across this and had completly forgotten about this option.
                      http://kotaku.com/342141/corinex-hig...ork-for-gamers

It is an network over your house's power grid. It would be a cheap solution without having to deal with wireless.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Cheap? If you mean shoddy and full of fail, yes, but at $170 for that particular unit, inexpensive is not the word of the day.

Originally posted by User EXO at that Kotaku link
                        These are not new, and they don't work well. Depending on how the electrical wiring in your home is setup, these may not work at all, or very slowly.

Old electrical wires cause signal interference.

Also, in my house there are three main lines that feed the different sections of the house, this is fairly common. This is why when a breaker blows in your house the whole place doesnt shut down, only a portion.

This means that if your devices are on two different sections, the signal has to travel back to the breaker box, and then out to your next device. Not only does all that distance screw up the signal, it also messes it up passing through the box.

The on box specs are if you have two plugs directly fed to eachother (like, the next outlet down in the same room), with brand new lines.

Which, in that case, your better off with a cat5.
                        total friggin rip.
                        This is cute if you're in a situation where you simply cannot run a real wire and where wireless is pwnt by the Burrito of Doom, but mostly it's a gimmick. Kinda like those ZOMG TURN UR POWER WIRE INTO ANTENNA & GIT ALL STASHUNS ON TV! devices.

Comment

i have gamed on wireless more than i have gamed on wired, my signal( a guestimated direct path ) goes through 3 walls and a floor that has metal heating ducts, the router is next to a 24/7 powered on company computer that is wired, the modem (duh), a wireless hub for the printers, and alot of florescent lighting, and a utility room, and i never lose signal, i have "Very good" for a connection status right now and i am about.....35 feet from antenna to antenna, although there isnt a microwave in the viscinity and/or path of my signal... but there was one single time, when i started my computer, my gmail notifier and xfire and other stuff told me there was no signal, i logged onto the linksys website (settings thing, hosted on teh router itself) and reset the connection to my computer, and it has worked 100% since, i run about 44ms latency while playing CSS, i live in Minnesota, and the TG server is in Texas, so 44ms isnt too shabby for 1000 ballpark miles, my cable internet is 10Mbps and i can download 1000Kbps any day of the week