2 8800 GTX's and Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 8800 GTX's and Vista

I am or was running 2 8800 GTX's on Window XP. I went to boot up and I couldnt go safe mode or run a recovery off the disk. So I don't know if my drive is fried.

I figured this is the time to maybe reinstall the Vista I bought months ago and didn't like. But does it support SLI well enough for me to make the change. And then theres the dx 10 factor. Would that be worth it?

Sorry if this is answer in another post, I just couldn't find it.

FUN FUN

Re: 2 8800 GTX's and Vista

well spar, you are using 2 GTXes, even if you get hit by the 10% or less graphical performance hit, i doubt you will notice it for about 5 years, when games catch up to your cards =P, i would give it a try, the recent patches for vista have really helped (so ive been told, i wont have vista for another 2 days or so) and that almost every vista system is now just as stable as the XP counterpart
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I would try booting with each card (use only one at a time, remove the other) and see if you get the same result. I would imagine that the drivers are what are important not the operating system. If there are no good SLI drivers that are Vista compatible you will be in trouble so be sure to chech first.

www.guru3d.com is a great place for driver help I have found.

Comment

Thanks guys. Nividia does have drivers out. I started installing last night. Well I installed vista and I have no sound. I installed the mb drivers also. I think the sound card on the MB went out. Is that possible without it hurting the rest of the mother board? So I guess I will go buy a soundcard tonight. If that doesn't work I'm gonna bring it to geek squad or fire dog.
        Last edited by sparhawkxx; 01-08-2008, 05:45 PM.

FUN FUN

Comment

which mobo do you have? why dont you list the rest of your system specs while your at it... if you have a usb headset, try and see if sound comes out of that
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I have a medusa headset. It works fine I tested it off the pc. I have the Nvidia BFG Nforce 680 i SLI mobo. I just went and bought the Soundblaster X fi, so I'm gonna hook that up in a few minutes.

Seems my pc does notice the 2 video cards though. Only thing is I did not set the SLI bridge. I hope the new vista drivers did it. I think I will dl the benchmark and test it again later.

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by sparhawkxx View Post
              I have a medusa headset. It works fine I tested it off the pc. I have the Nvidia BFG Nforce 680 i SLI mobo. I just went and bought the Soundblaster X fi, so I'm gonna hook that up in a few minutes.

Seems my pc does notice the 2 video cards though. Only thing is I did not set the SLI bridge. I hope the new vista drivers did it. I think I will dl the benchmark and test it again later.
              Are you saying you didn't physically connect the 2 cards together? SLI won't work unless you install that connector.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

oh no I bridged them :)

FUN FUN

Comment

I think your problem is too much money
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Not really . I'm broke now.

FUN FUN

Comment

Howdy Spar, I run SLI 8800GTS 640Meg cards. I dual boot between XP PRO and Vista Ultimate. I also run the BFG 680 i SLI system board.First, the only hardware config for SLi on that system board is the video carrd bridge. You MUST have the system board software (nForce drivers and the nTune software). Then you enable the SLI in the Nvidia software(I think nTune).Please note that there are about 4 Vista patches listed at Nvidia site that are critical to your stability and performance of the system.Then there is a NEw 7DEC07 KB945149 LINKED DISPLAY ADAPTER fix. This one you must request from Microsoft(unless you have the 64BIT version, can be downloaded from http://itsvista.com/topic/hotfix/. Also you posted you have a new Xfi sound card. This sound is AWESOME in Vista(when you can get it to work).You may find that the XFI mic does not work and also that Vista will not let the game audio sync with the game(this will show up during map loading).Good Luck!
                      sigpic
                      *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

Comment

Oh wow you just blew my mind. I don't know as much technical stuff as I wish I did. So far I am having no trouble. I just went into my desktop properties and into nivida properties to enable my SLI bridge. Yes also bridged the 2 cards manually.

As for the sound card it sounds good. Yeah it seems in game I might hear something in a diferant directions, like its off some but its not huge. The mic was a big issue, I was getting angry but I finally figured out how to get it to work. I had to disable the sound in the mic menu. There was a few differant options but I disable everything until it enabled the mic. This doesn't make sense but it worked and I am fine.

Now I just need to be able to boot up windows without having to hit f1 in bios first.

FUN FUN

Comment

What is the error message that is telling you to hit F1 to continue?
                          Is it the floppy drive is enabled , but you do NOT have a floppy drive connected?
                          sigpic
                          *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

Comment

yeah yeah thats it. When my onboard soundcard went bad i was having trouble getting back into xp so i defaulted my bios :( And even after i installed vista it still does it. I mean it is bios so it has nothing to do with OS right? Thats where I stand.

FUN FUN

Comment

I have the EVGA 680i....you have to go in the first bios screen where it lists the hard drives and tell it that there is no drive A:.

I ran into this when I unplugged my a drive and removed it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X