Remote for my PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote for my PC

I don't have a DVD player on my TV, so I want to watch DVDs on my PC. Alas, I have no remote, so I have to cross the room to pause/mute the computer if the phone rings. So what's available to remote-control a PC?

I'm running XP64 on my game/media system, dual-booting to CentOS 5 (Linux). So drivers for both OS's would be desirable.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Remote for my PC

I use the firefly remotes.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

That looks pretty nice. I'm considering the full bundle with Beyond TV (DVR software) and the DVD burner plugin.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

A wireless mouse might be a good option. There's less to configure across different OS's and you shouldn't have to worry about mouse drivers. A remote is neat but you'd have to program the buttons and such when a mouse is just point and click. Although, batteries for the mouse won't last as long as a remote.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

awesome find asch!!! i might get one (or two) of those
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I have an MX1000, but seeing across the room to the text and buttons on the monitor to click would be a problem, and the mouse doesn't have that range reliably. (It's designed to coexist with a similar mouse used by a coworker in the next cube, so it needs to not transmit very far.) The Firefly has the virtue of having buttons on the remote to control specific functions, so I don't need binoculars to know what I'm doing.

Comment

a bluetooth remote like the interlink vp6600r would be a decent choice as well. that exact remote needs and expresscard slot to charge, but a bt mouse like the microsoft 8000 series has some of the same controls on the bottom.

also, my q phone has bt controls for the computer, and I think it is part of windows mobile 5 and 6.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                I have an MX1000, but seeing across the room to the text and buttons on the monitor to click would be a problem, and the mouse doesn't have that range reliably. (It's designed to coexist with a similar mouse used by a coworker in the next cube, so it needs to not transmit very far.)
                Have you tried with your mouse? Mine works flawlessly from 19 feet away (which is the far corner of my living room, I haven't tried any further...). Each mouse operates on a different frequency from a large set, so there's always the slim chance that your neighbor might have the same freq as you, but it's unlikely.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  Have you tried with your mouse? Mine works flawlessly from 19 feet away (which is the far corner of my living room, I haven't tried any further...). Each mouse operates on a different frequency from a large set, so there's always the slim chance that your neighbor might have the same freq as you, but it's unlikely.
                  I'm willing to give it a shot. Is there any software that easily maps the mouse buttons to the play/pause and other buttons on DVD player software? (So I don't need to use the X/Y aspect of the mouse to select functions.)

Comment

Of course there is always ATI's ALL-In-Wonder cards, most come with remotes and other software for adding features like TiVo. I have one right now, the card does really good in the multimedia area but as far as gaming it sucks. Wasn't built really for that and I had bought the card for gaming.
                    I still like asch's idea better cause it would a cheaper route to go.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X