Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lulu.com

http://www.lulu.com/

I actually heard about this website years ago, but it kind of slipped by the wayside for me. Recently, I purchased a book that a lesser-known author wrote and the purchase led me to Lulu... so I looked into it some more.

Basically, it allows you to self-publish pretty much anything you can think of (books, CDs, calendars, art, photos, etc.). They handle just about everything. What I like about it compared to other (print-on-demand) sites is that lulu has the capability to handle just about any job in any fashion. You can totally layout your project yourself, or you can hire their people to do it for you. You can do print-on-demand, or run orders in bulk. All this and you dont have to worry about money, nor do you have to put anything up front unless you're buying their prep and/or publishing services. You can even distro. online if you wanted (e-books, etc.).

It's a pretty robust system and a well designed site. If you were ever thinking about writing ANYTHING (I know I have), this is a good way to get your idea out to the masses and make a bit of money from it. As for profits, you generally get to keep 80%... I believe this changes for digital downloads though, but I could be wrong. Their printing fees seem pretty competitive, but it doesnt really get cheap until you start printing in bulk. POD is a great concept, but obviously it'll never be as cheap as bulk orders. The key with the profit margin is the value of the Lulu marketplace and their position on the net - which is pretty much the best, including ISBN exposure.

They've got a pretty thriving community and everyone including Lulu seem pretty helpful. So it's easy to get started. Marketing tips and tools are also included of course.

A savvy self-publisher would link their Ebay Store, Amazon Marketplace, etc. with Lulu to fulfill their orders. Combine it all with Amazon's new "Kindle" publishing model and these days you'd be a fool not to at least publish SOMETHING.

Enjoy!

p.s.
    Here's an interesting article on self-publishing:
    http://www.dogearpublishing.net/Insi...hySelfPub.aspx

Note: Lulu.com isnt mentioned in this article. I'm not entirely sure why, but it's probably due to being relatively new to the scene and the fact the article comes from a competitor. Also, most of the self-publishing sites listed require setup fees, which Lulu does not (usually). Granted, most of the fee-based packages give you royalty free sales, which is a plus. Lulu's advantage seems to be the ease at which anyone can jump on the scene, the absence of setup fees, and their net-presence. In the long run it costs you royalties, but the the initial costs are the lowest there is.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this whole self-publishing craze...
    Last edited by Gambit7; 01-09-2008, 04:15 PM.

Re: Lulu.com

Looks interesting. Any success/horror stories out there?

Comment

I highly recommend it since I've purchased several eBooks and printed books from Lulu.

Like Gambit said in the first post, staff is friendly and helpful. Usually I get my paperbacks (and such) delivered within a week. Pricing is pretty good and the selection is fairly varied with quite a bit from independent authors.

Also recommend it if you plan on publishing your own novel (or digital art).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Honestly, I've never used the site... but immediately upon finding out about it and exploring it - I found myself rehashing old ideas that I've always wanted to get published. That's a success story in and of itself.

It kind of leaves no excuses.

Acreo, you're seriously getting POD paperbacks delivered in a week?? that's ridiculously fast...

Comment

Yep, dead serious (not that I want to die ;)).

I usually order, and about 7 days later I get my novel in the mail. Of course, the last time I ordered a paperback was about 6 months ago. I know they've updated their site quite a bit, expanded some more, etc. So they might have a larger customer base now where the books might take 10 days (or more).

Honestly, I find their eNovels a very good buy. Most are $5 or cheaper and comes in PDF format, so it's more portable than other proprietary formats.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X