Need some help(computer freaking out)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help(computer freaking out)

Lately my computer has been randomly turning off on its own(the power button light will be on but the computer is off). I will be doing something on the computer and it will just shut off. No buttons pressed or anything. It will also restart without warning as well. No buttons pressed, no "Windows is powering down" it will just restart.

For some reason the problem seems lessened when I let it sit for a bit after turning it on.

Anybody have any clues on what is going on? It's very annoying at this point.
    |TG-X|Turkish

Re: Need some help(computer freaking out)

Check for loose cable connections. One night I booted up my computer to find I had no Hard drive. Funny, cause I could have sworn I put on in there. Turns out my SATA connector was loose. Just need to be put back in.

Also, check the power supply cables running to various areas of the motherboard.

My theory is that the Power cable to the "POWER LED" and such are fine, while another is loose.
    Skud

Comment

Well it could be quite a few things.

It sounds like you could have a dying power supply or perhaps an electrical overload on the circuit breaker that your computer is plugged into. The circuit breaker should trip prevent an overload but if your in an older home you might want to check on it. If you are using a power bar perhaps it's going bad.

Oh, and the power bar isn't at your feet is it? I accidentally tripped a power bar at work that I just happened to mistakenly tap it with my foot.

Good Luck!
      Last edited by DaddyOfThree; 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM.
      |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Power supply, cabling; do you have it to auto-reboot on critical errors? I.E., XP does that so you won't see the BSODs.

Comment

Overheating issues could also cause a hard shut down without any warnings depending on how the BIOS may be set up. Try cleaning things up inside to make sure it is running a little cooler. Before I actually knew this could cause issues such as you are describing I use to have the same thing happen to me. Some BIOS will let you set a warning sound if the temperature is getting critical, maybe check to see if you can activate this warning signal to see if that may be the cause? If it overheats and shuts down on it's on you may have the BIOS set up for it to power right back on?

EDIT:
          Also maybe try to find a program for monitoring the temperature of the CPU, GPU, and enviroment(case). Make sure your fans are working.

Comment

I replaced the PSU 2 years ago with a rosewill one, and it has treated me good so far 400W. Powerbar only has 2 things plugged in, and seems to work fine, place of residence is less than 2 years old. I'm not that great with computers, so I havent setup anything to do anything. It's a 4 year old emachine with a 6800GT. AGP FTW :D

Overheating sounds probable, as it works best the first time I turn it on in the day, and seems to get crappier later on.

It died 3-4 times last night when I tried to load PR.

I will look for loose connections. Anyother ideas?

Thanks for the help so far ;)
            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
              It's a 4 year old emachine...

Overheating sounds probable, as it works best the first time I turn it on in the day, and seems to get crappier later on.
              Its most likely the degradation of the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. After a few years they begin to show wear. Most notably by changing capacitance while in operation. This can cause fluctuations in the voltage and trip the on board power monitors causing a hard reset.

Comment

I don't know if this is good or not, but CPU is running at 43* and GPU 71*. Someone asked if it was getting hot so here is the data. This is at idle, and fans are running fine.
                |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I don't know if this is good or not, but CPU is running at 43* and GPU 71*. Someone asked if it was getting hot so here is the data. This is at idle, and fans are running fine.
                  That GPU temp for a 6800 seems high to me especially for idle. I'd only expect that under some amount of load. Are you running Vista with that 3d desktop?

Comment

No vista. XP SP1 here
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Then I bet thats it. That GPU is overheating and causing a system reset. That's just too hot for an idle GPU of that class. Add load and I bet its breaking 90 easy.

Check the screws (nylon inserts if I remember my 6800 correctly). I had one break loose and cause over heating. I really hate when mfg's put heat sinks on with nylon snap ins.

Comment

Oh also, my computer has been saying that it has found new hardware, when I have not added anything at all.
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                          Then I bet thats it. That GPU is overheating and causing a system reset. That's just too hot for an idle GPU of that class. Add load and I bet its breaking 90 easy.
                          Would that also cause the computer to die? Not just restart? This is a new problem and I have had the 6800GT for almost 2 years or something close to that.
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Would that also cause the computer to die? Not just restart?
                            Mine did weird things. Sometimes artifacts, sometimes system hangs, and sometimes sporadic resets.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                              Mine did weird things. Sometimes artifacts, sometimes system hangs, and sometimes sporadic resets.
                              Could opening up the case help the temps go down? Is there a negative to this?
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X