Dell AC Adapter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell AC Adapter

My roommate has an Inspiron e1705 laptop who's Ac adapter has died on him after only 6 mos. of use. I cruised to their website and noticed the AC adapter that's compatible for this laptop has a pretty poor score as far as reviews go. A few went so far as to say they've replaced the same adapter 2-3 times in one year. My question to you guys is, are Dell AC adapters for laptops proprietary like most of their products are or were? And any ideas where he can find a good adapter if it's not proprietary to Dell? Thanks.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: Dell AC Adapter

while the adapter is "proprietary", the voltage for most dell laptops (every laptop I have dealt with from them in the last 5 years) is the standard 19.5 volt that HP and gateway and just about everyone uses.

the dell power adapters all have the same connector nowadays, the last oddball I remember is the 5150 and the 1100... so the only difference is the wattage.

the e1405, 1505, etc all use a 65w, the 9200, 9300, 9400, e1705 use a 90w adapter, and the xps uses a 130w.

all models will accept a higher wattage adapter, but trying to use a 65w on a 9300 or e1705/1720 will give an adapter warning and run in a lower power state, but if turned off will still charge the battery.

now, having said all that, I like the dell adapter better than any other, and you can pick up another on ebay for 10 - 50 bucks depending on wattage.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Check around..I think target sells a universal one with several different adapters for around $30.00.
      "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

No Dell warranty?

Comment

My company always sent us Dell laptops and we have had the same problem with AC adapters. I bought a Targus universal adapter that came with several connection adapters for all the main brands as well as a A/C adapter for the car. I think is was ~$80 on sale. http://www.targus.com/us/powerstore.asp
          They also had cellphone adapters that fit the same unit. I picked it up at either Staples or Office Depot.

Comment

Dell just doesn't do well with power in my experience. Every Dell PC model we support at work has tons of Power Supply issues. Batteries just up and die for apparently no reasons. The power supplies die rather quickly.

We've just ordered extra power supplies with about 25% of our laptop orders to have a stock when they just die.
            RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X