No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of these specs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of these specs?

Hello, I'm thinking about building a PC sometime this spring or summer. I know a fair amount about computers, but most of you guys know way more then me. What do all of you think of these specs? Do any of you have this general combination of parts? Any advice on build a PC?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Monitor: Samsung 226 22 Inch

Case: Antec 900 (Anyone have this? Seems like all the fans would be really noisy, but keep everything super cool.)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (How does Crysis look on this? What settings, and what FPS?)

DVD/CD Drive: LITE-ON

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 250 GB

Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro ATX Intel

Ram: Corsair 2GB DDR2

Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550 Max Power

Again... Thanks.

Below are URLs for each product, in order.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=Antec%2b900

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130305

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106072

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115028

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136055

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127030

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171016
    Last edited by Geranium; 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM. Reason: Added the "H" to Hello.
    Please forgive my frequent grammar and game knowledge flubs; I'm rusty in both areas. :)

Hope to playing BF 2142 and COD 4 on the TG server as soon as I've built a respectable PC.

Re: What do you guys think of these specs?

Hard Drive: go for a Seagate 7200.10 drive. You won't have to curse your WD when it fails.

Everything else looks good. The power supply is more than sufficient to handle your power needs.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Now that Seagate is Maxtor in a dress, I've gone to WD. No problems so far after a year. Genuine Seagate drive, no problems either. My mountain of Maxtors all have red marks on them indicating the number of times they've failed. I use 'em in spare boxes and as redundant backups but they aren't good for prime time.

Comment

Keep in mind that things change awfully quick in the world of hardware, so by summer all of this will have changed.
        |TG|Melee
        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
          Keep in mind that things change awfully quick in the world of hardware, so by summer all of this will have changed.
          Good point. I figure that I'll upgrade one or two of these components by summer. At least half of them should stay the same though. Thanks for all the top advice guys- cheers!
          Please forgive my frequent grammar and game knowledge flubs; I'm rusty in both areas. :)

Hope to playing BF 2142 and COD 4 on the TG server as soon as I've built a respectable PC.

Comment

Case: Antec 900 (Anyone have this? Seems like all the fans would be really noisy, but keep everything super cool.)
            I recently did a full build in this case. All of the fans have a Lo-Med-Hi setting. I set them all to low. Not loud, but not whisper quiet.
            It definitely moves the air and keeps things cool. I also have a Zalman 9500 heatsink.
            You could probably disable one of the front fans and still be plenty cool.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (How does Crysis look on this? What settings, and what FPS?)
            Nice card, do you think you may go SLi down the road? You may be able to save some money and get a 8800 GT OC 512 and keep similar performance.
            I got one on sale for $237 (now $279). I found this link helpful to compare performances of cards and they also have SLi comparisons now. In any event
            you will not be disappointed with the card you picked.
            http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=707&chart=275

I have the same one and it runs like a champ. No need to overclock it now.

Depending on how soon you are purchasing, I got the Seagate 7200 SATA 320G HD for $59 supersale at Best Buy so I got 2. One for programs and one for data.

I have the ABIT IP9-32max which is essentially the same board. Lots of good features. Take a look at the ABIT forums for
            your specific board type and you can learn a lot about installation victories, mistakes, bios, etc. http://forum.uabit.com/

RAM is cheap and if you can, double it up.

I have a Cooler Master 750W. You may want to consider getting more power if you think you may want to add a second video card
            down the road. If that is not a concern, then you are in good shape.

If you go with what you have listed and based on its similarity to what I built you will be very happy.
            On high settings for CoD4, BF2 POE2 and FH2 I get 100-105 fps. Crysis hammers you a little more and I get ~60-65 fps on high. FFOW beta is about the same.

Comment

^Thanks a lot jb4; after seeing that comparisons there's no way I'm getting the GTS over the GT. 3 FPS doesn't matter to me. :) I'm still debating if I'm going to go with a more powerful power supply. I can't see my self going SLI any time in the near future, but I guess it couldn't hurt to have an extra 200 watts to work with.

Comment

First of all, when are you planning to build this? If you can wait till 1st part to mid of Feb., you will be able to get a lot of new options and better prices.

Originally posted by Geranium View Post

Monitor: Samsung 226 22 Inch

You will love the 22", and you should keep the monitor you have now and run it as a 2nd, for dual screen desktop.

Please be sure to consider the Antec P182. It is a way better case, and still moves tons of air + is super quiet.
                I have seen it on sale for $99 at newegg. It also has a lot of features that the 900 doesn't. It is so easy to
                route all your cables behind the motherboard and keep your case very clean, so even more air flows. You actually can't see any
                wires in my case. It gets top reviews on tech sites, and for some reason feels more sturdy to me than the 900 when I played with
                the 900 at a store. And the glowing blue lites would be cool for a while, then just get annoying. I have read posts in other forums
                where people are asking for help on how to disconnect the lights.
                EDIT: IT IS ON SALE AT NEWEGG RIGHT NOW!!! Crap, and I paid $139 for it. Even if you aren't building the computer for a little while longer, try and get that case while it is on sale.

Guy above is right about the 8800GT being a better option for you. The 9800GX2 (which is supposed to be like 2 8800GTS together on one board) is supposed to be out by end of Feb., and that and ATI's new X2 board are going to kick ass, and supposed to be in the $450 range. Might be worth considering, but it should make the price of the GT go down, since Nvidia is really getting hammered by ATI in the Low $200 range, meaning they are cutting the price on the GT.

DVD/CD Drive: LITE-ON

Good choice going with the SATA. But spend the extra $20 and get an extra just plain SATA DVD drive. It really helps to have 2 drives.

The replacement for this that is making everyone drool will be out at the end of January (see this article: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13878).
                It would be a really good idea to get one of those since they are so close to release.

People have problems with every kind of drive. Make sure which ever one you pick has a really good rating from buyers at Newegg, and you should be pretty good.

Either that one or the very well rated Asus board. Make sure it has the features you want! Spend some time on the companies website (down in the left side box on newegg) and read the fine print to make sure it is what you want.

Without a doubt, go for 4 gigs!!! You can get really good 4 gigs of RAM for under $100, and will be worth it if you are going to run Vista! Vista uses at least a gig just by itself.

I am going to go with NO on that PSU. Look at how many people have had problems with it in the newegg buyers review. The PSU is one place you should never cut corners!!!! Spend a little more now, or pay later with headaches and a glitchy computer. Look at turkish's thread in this forum as he just had to replace his.
                And the # of watts doesn't matter as much depending on the brand. Buy a crap one that says 500watts and plan on only getting 375-400 once it gets hot from gaming under load. There are tons of options, just go to the whole list of PSUs on newegg, on the left click either the # of watts you want or the price range, and then sort that list by rating from other buyers. You are trying to put together an awesome computer, and you want to run the thing on a cheap ass PSU?
                Look for one with the highest possible Efficiency, like in the mid 80% range.
                This one for instance has good buyer reviews, plus I have read a lot of articles on Corsair's PSUs on tech review sites (I actually bought the 640watt model for my last build)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139004
                and it is only $15 more than the coolermaster.
                Don't forget the other little things, like you should get an aftermarket CPU cooler. I have read everywhere that the stock Intel one is a joke, and people can't believe that they finally put out an amazing CPU, and stuck it with a crap cooler. Spend the extra $40-50 and get a good one to keep your rig cool for those long gaming sessions. And get some good thermal paste to dab on between the 2. That is super important and can't be forgotten or you will fry the CPU.
                And which OS version you are going with, i.e. Vista, as that will cost extra.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

JB4 already touched on this, but make sure you buy the 8800 GT 512 (the G92 core version.) I know there are lots of the inferior 320/640 meg GTS cards out there, for instance, waiting to fool folk.
                  OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

Originally posted by khaerus View Post
                    JB4 already touched on this, but make sure you buy the 8800 GT 512 (the G92 core version.) I know there are lots of the inferior 320/640 meg GTS cards out there, for instance, waiting to fool folk.
                    I think you mean 8800 *GTS* 512, not the GT. The GT never came in the 320/640 mb versions, though it does come in a 256. Should just make sure if you go with an 8800 that it is one with 512mb, and you will be fine.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have an Antec 900 and its quiet, my graphics card is the only fan I hear and all the other fans are on the medium setting. With the 900 depending on your power supply you can daisy chain the fan hook ups or hook the up directly. I have mine half and half which means half the fans(the ones daisy chained) all spin according to the case fan adjustment, the ones directly hooked up to the power supply spin according to how much of my system need to be cooled based on temp. Its nice and keeps things quiet. Use speedfan the program to adjust fan settings according to temp if you like.

Personally I would go with the 900 over any other case.

Heatsink = Zalman 9500 ... LED blue matches the case, it runs cool and on low fan settings is completely silent. Anywhere over half way with the fan adjustment and you start to hear a little whine from the fan, nothing big but I've seen no cooling difference between full fan speed and slow fan speed. (1 degree Celsuis if that).

I think you already said you are going for the GT, DO IT. Get the 512 and wait for prices to drop in Jan or Feb. Yes whoever else posted above me there is a 512 version of the GT as I have been led to believe.

I would go with the Antec Trio Truepower 650 watt power supply. I got it on sale for 99.99 and its the power supply with the most bang for the buck, very consistent. Antec makes some great stuff.

Comment

By summer nvidia will have released their 9800 line. I'd go for one of those.
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Antec 900 is on sale now at newegg for like $79.
                          I still love the p182, but just passing on the news.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                            RAM is cheap and if you can, double it up.
                            A quick note, Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 (Probably without, I'm not sure) can handle a maximum of 3GB DDR2 RAM. I have 3GB of Crucial DDR2 and it's great.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X