64-Bit windows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-Bit windows?

I was wondering: Do any of y'all use Windows x64 (XP or Vista)?

I'm looking at upgrading and didn't know if I could play my games in 64 Bit windows.

There are drivers for everything I need, I just didn't know if my games (primarily COD2 and BF2) are supported in x64.

Re: 64-Bit windows?

from what i have heard, the only game that doesnt work well with vista 64 is ArmA, dont quote me on it, but if all your hardware is supported, i beleive you wont have many problems
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I use x64 Windows Vista Home Premium and it works fine on an AMD AM2 6000+ for all my Steam games, CoD4, BFx and more. The only problem I have, as well as many other people, is that Windows won't boot up with more than 3gb of RAM in the slots, even though x64 supposedly supports a whole lot more than 3gb. It appears to be random, but it happened to me so I'm stuck with only 2gb out of the 4gb I bought.

Comment

non of the updates or patches for windows has fixed that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Acid View Post
          I use x64 Windows Vista Home Premium and it works fine on an AMD AM2 6000+ for all my Steam games, CoD4, BFx and more. The only problem I have, as well as many other people, is that Windows won't boot up with more than 3gb of RAM in the slots, even though x64 supposedly supports a whole lot more than 3gb. It appears to be random, but it happened to me so I'm stuck with only 2gb out of the 4gb I bought.
          Acid i just installed 4 gigs of PC 6400 800mHZ DDR2 HyperX in my Win XP

HOME BOX AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM AT ALL. hmmmmmmmmm

it only see's 3.5xx gigs of it but it boots no problem :) wonder why,,

is that just on the 64 bit os's ?????? i nstalled the 4 gig cause im

getting ready for a quad upgrade and wanted a gig per core.

Comment

@Cappy

Your 32bit XP has a finite limit of 4GB of address space. It has to under report the RAM to reserve addresses for the IO controllers. Most significant of which is the video RAM.

@Others

I have been using Windows XP x64 with the BF series (plus mods), WIC, Crysis, COD4, ArmA without incidence. It has been solid as a rock. I also have 4GB of memory and it does significantly improve performance when, along with the game, you are running XFire, TS, FRAPS, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
              @Cappy

Your 32bit XP has a finite limit of 4GB of address space. It has to under report the RAM to reserve addresses for the IO controllers. Most significant of which is the video RAM.

@Others

I have been using Windows XP x64 with the BF series (plus mods), WIC, Crysis, COD4, ArmA without incidence. It has been solid as a rock. I also have 4GB of memory and it does significantly improve performance when, along with the game, you are running XFire, TS, FRAPS, etc., etc.
              My system tab reports 4 as 3.25, but when you look in the BIOS it reports as 4. I also agree that since RAM is cheap, go with 4 Gig. Is the system just under reporting the RAM and you still have access to it all if needed or do you have to upgrade to a 64x to fully utilize it's potential? I have a board that says it will support much more RAM so I am back to this 32 vs 64 issue.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                I use Vista64 at home and XP x64 and work. The most significant issue I've had with the 64-bit OS's is that GameTap doesn't support them and that is what my son likes to use - but no big deal, there are plenty of other alternatives.

I've only experienced very minor performance hits with games using Vista64 - to the extent that they have been insignificant. I've also noticed that although running a DX10 game reports a lower frame-rate, it still plays like it is at a much higher frame rate.

My experience has been like Draehs. Much more stable task switching and faster. Any minor problems I've had to make me desire going back to XP or 32-bit.
                sigpic

Comment

@jb4

Windows XP (32bit) is telling you the amount of RAM it can utilize. The rest of your RAM goes unused. It indeed takes an x64 OS to fully utilize 4GB of RAM plus (in my case) 1.4GB Video RAM (2 8800GTX's in SLI) plus other physical IO controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                    My system tab reports 4 as 3.25, but when you look in the BIOS it reports as 4. I also agree that since RAM is cheap, go with 4 Gig. Is the system just under reporting the RAM and you still have access to it all if needed or do you have to upgrade to a 64x to fully utilize it's potential? I have a board that says it will support much more RAM so I am back to this 32 vs 64 issue.

Yes, 64-bit is required to provide the address space needed for RAM amounts over 3GB. Your 4GB is still there and functioning but a 32-bit OS can only address so much, so the amount you'll see reported in windows was all it had the room to address. See Dreah's comment.
                    sigpic

Comment

I use vista ultimate x64 and love it. things are so much faster.

windows media encoder gets a 30% boost by using x64 vista and the x64 version of media encoder.

I have no driver or software issues, though I wish there were more 64bit versions of the software I use (adobe, nero, corel, etc.)
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I run 64 bit XP & Vista with 4 GB RAM with no problems. As mentioned, I also find it more stable over XP-32, although I can't comment on Vista-32.

I have no trouble with BF2/ArmA/Steam/COD4/GR/GRAW/RS6 etc. etc.

Until recently, one of the huge glitches for gamers running 64-bit OS was extremely poor performance of X-Fi based cards, however the latest drivers from creative have fixed these problems. Just make sure if you fall into this category you upgrade your drivers to the latest and greatest.

Also, If you are planning on playing ArmA with Vista-64, you will have to boot with 1 GB disabled for it to run. It seems to be a problem with a crazy combination of drivers/vista/arma that no one seems to be able to figure out how to fix.
                        Last edited by Brewski; 01-11-2008, 03:11 PM. Reason: Correcting some stuff

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
                          Also, If you are planning on playing ArmA with Vista-64, you will have to boot with 1 GB disabled for it to run. It's a problem with ArmA though and nothing to do with the OS.

Whoops.. yep I forgot about that inconveinience.
                          sigpic

Comment

I am on Vista 64 with little problems at all.
                            If you want to install some programs though you usually have to start with a site search to find out if it is Vista 64 compatible. Some, like Zonealarm, are not. But there are always alternative programs for just about everything.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Acid View Post
                              There is a hotfix to address this issue in Vista x64/32. You need to install it if you use more than 2gb of RAM with Vista. This will be included in SP1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

Do this and avoid the BSOD on boot/install.

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 (8gb of ddr2 1000) and slowly getting used to it. I ordered an OEM copy of XP Pro x64 just in case I need to revert back. I'm able to run all games and software (so far) with minimal problems.

Had some trouble with iTunes, but a driver patch fixed that.
                              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X