Another new PC specs thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new PC specs thread

Ok. My trusty AMD 2600+ Athlon box is starting to crap out on me. It's been a good 5 years but it's time to move on. Below is the box I've spec'ed out at newegg. Any recommendations for different hardware? I've got a couple 'must have' features that are dealbreakers, like having a coax SPDIF out, being SLI capable, and upgradable down the road, but am otherwise pretty flexible.

I do plan on holding off for the newer 45mm Intel Chip - the E8400 @3 Ghz, which should hopefully be the same price as the 6750 below. So I may need to update my mobo and RAM to reflect this. I'm happy with Dual core since the most intensive thing I do on this box is game. I'm hoping I can go with Win XP 64 bit. Vista doesn't sound appealing at all to me.

Thoughts? Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Antec Sonata III Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
    $149.99 -$30.00 Instant $119.99

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 C55+MCP55P; a.k.a. nForce 650i SLI & nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    $189.99 $189.99

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    $289.99 $289.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor $189.99 $189.99

mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996527 - Retail
    $46.99 $46.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    $159.99 -$5.00 Instant $154.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
    $29.99 $29.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
    $79.99 $79.99

ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail
    $63.99 -$15.00 Instant $48.99
    Subtotal: $1,150.91
    Beatnik

Re: Another new PC specs thread

That sounds just about right to me. I would not personally bother with the 3rd party cooler but then again I don't over-clock much.

2 GB RAM should be plenty but with the prices these days 4 GB isn't a bad idea.

I always go with 2 hard disks for RAID mirroring. It saved me some serious PITA this time after one of my new seagate drives died.

Comment

is mushkin a better brand then ocz?
      what about dx 10 support? ur gonna have to get vista sooner or later

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
      Delta MICS
      Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

For only about $70 more you can get a quad core CPU (Q6600). Developers are starting to take advantage of this and I wouldn't think it would be long before most major game releases support quad core. If you're not going to overclock your CPU use the stock Intel heatsink and sink that money back into the CPU :)

Otherwise, looks great and excellent price!

Comment

Looks good so far, but a few notes.
          Good case that lot of people like, but as I just said to another guy in the forum, the Antec P182 is an amazing case that will have tons of room for what ever you could ever what to upgrade, it is super quiet cool to boot. And they have it on sale for $99, only thing is you would have to buy a PSU separate. That is a really good deal on the Sonata though. Google it and read some reviews about it to make sure you know as much as possible before you decide. Also, try and find one that is a good price and offers free shipping. That $15-20 extra for shipping really sucks, and newegg usually has lots with free shipping. Also, buy.com and amazon.com have really good prices on cases, and can find free shipping usually. I would rather pay an extra $5 for the case and then not have to pay $20 for shipping.

And the price you are paying for that motherboard you could get a 680i chipset one with what you are looking for. Both the 650i and 680 are getting pretty old now, and they are actually about to release its replacement soon.

Depending on you man, but 4 gigs is so worth the extra $50 when you run Vista, and as for Vista, it is not as bad as everyone is bitching about. It does have occasional bugs with people trying to put it on old computers with like 1 gig, and they are the ones making all the noise and wining about evil Vista. I was worried too and considered XP on the computer I built in Oct, but now I am so glad I didn't, and i went with Vista 64 of all things. You can feel free to go with XP, but by Christmas you will be wanting to upgrade. Which means more money and hassle.
          Mushkin makes really good memory. Just make sure you read the other buyers reviews. If like 100 people left comments, and only 50 gave it 5 stars, best look at something else since there are so many choices and prices are so low. Look for something that has a lifetime warranty, like Corsair has ( not sure if Mushkin does).

Should consider throwing in an extra $20 for another plain SATA dvd drive, it is really nice having 2 and not constantly switching disks. I am actually considering getting another so I would be running 3. Having SATA makes it super easy, without dealing with the crappy gray ribbon cables.

If money is tight, might try holding off on the X-Fi card right now. I just bought one 3 weeks ago, and I waited like 2 week after deciding to get one because Newegg constantly has a rebate for it dropping the price to $50. You do have on board sound to get you though a couple of weeks of waiting. Since you are waiting on the Intel chips though, might just keep checking every day on newegg till they post the rebate.
          Lots of people like that cooler you mention, and I disagree about the stock one being good enough. It is just bearly. Dug through my bookmarks and found this one.
          http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=2981&p=3
          I ended up going with the Extreme 120 after reading that review and many others, but scroll down to the graphs and look at the stock cooler. Sucks, doesn't it. If you want to get another "good 5 years" out of a CPU, the cooler you keep it the better. And even Intel promotes overclocking now considering how good their chips are, just in case you decide to try it. It really is like free horsepower considering how well the chips perform.

Good luck and keep us up to date on what you do.
          Also, I don't work for them, and I LOVE NEWEGG, but also consider http://www.clubit.com/ before you purchase. I have found some really good deals with them. Haven't tested their customer service, but I have newegg's , which is why I almost always buy from them (they have hooked me up many times).

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm also building a new system. Some of the comments / feedback in my thread may also pertain to you.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I based this system off techreport's december 2007 system guide. I trust TR's editors and wanted an easy baseline I could customize myself.

I totally forgot vista was needed for dx 10. Ugh. So I may in fact go up to Vista 64 with 4 gigs of ram. Goodbye, $200. ;) I may step up to a 780i mobo too. One question: With the faster FSB of the new Intel (specifically the e8400), will 4 gigs (2x2 gig) of DDR2-800 be sufficient to saturate the FSB bandwidth? Or do I need to look at that DDR-1066 whatever RAM?

I am planning on oc'ing it once it's set up. Not that it needs it with the stock specs, but yeah I'd like this to last another 3-5 years if possible. Quad core doesn't really do anything for what I need today, and the dual is cheaper at the moment, so I'll save the quad until my next upgrade.

I actually do have a 2nd DVD burner in my current unit, so I'll probably throw that in too.

Great feedback so far. Please keep it coming! :)
              Beatnik

Comment

I am running with 4 gigs Corsair 1066 and am really happy with it. I paid like $150 for each of my 2 gig kits though, so it is up to you.
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145043
                I got a $40 rebate on it, and I am sure they will put another rebate up soon. It comes and goes.
                Remember that a lot of boards might not like 1066 ram, since it is not really "official" speed.
                It is one of the reasons I went with my Asus MB though, since it does play nice and they have a huge thing on the front of the box about it. Also notice your MB listed above is out of stock.
                Read asch's post he linked to for a lot more good info.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah I read through asch's and Rincewind's threads as well. Good insight there, but they're about 3x more expensive than what I'm looking to spend.

The mobo just went out of stock today; I'm sure it'll be back in (or a 780i) by the time the intel chips are up for sale.
                  Beatnik

Comment

You'll want memory speeds that match your mobo at the minimum. If you plan to overclock you'll probably want to step up the memory a notch. When I OC'd the memory that matched the mobo wasn't enough.

I'd still recommend a quad core if you can manage it. Even if you don't see yourself using all four cores, your system will take full advantage of it. All of those processes you have that run on windows can use those cores. If you run multiple applications like TS, FRAPS, and a game I believe they can all utilize different cores.

You will probably want to wait for the 780i. Some of the 6 series mobos don't really support quadcore like they initially thought. Intel made a change last minute that fubar'd that up. So if you want upgrade-ability I'd go for the 780i at least, even if you go dual core.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

What is your price range?
                      My brother in law (he is like 19) wants a new computer and can only swing $1000, so I put this together for him in like 15 mins. Christmas day. That rig would be really good, and after rebates would =$1000.
                      The stuff you talked about above will be way better, and for not much more money.

Antec Sonata III Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
                      Model #: Sonata III
                      Item #: N82E16811129024
                      Mail-in Rebate
                      $149.95 -$20.00 Instant $129.95

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
                      Model #: P5K-E/WIFI-AP
                      Item #: N82E16813131196
                      $149.99 $149.99

XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
                      Model #: PVT88PYDF4
                      Item #: N82E16814150252
                      $269.99 $269.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail
                      Model #: BX80557E6750
                      Item #: N82E16819115029
                      $189.99 $189.99

mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996587 - Retail
                      Model #: 996587
                      Item #: N82E16820146731
                      $132.99 $132.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
                      Model #: ST3250410AS
                      Item #: N82E16822148262
                      $69.99 $69.99

ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and 14X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model DRW-1814BLT - Retail
                      Model #: DRW-1814BLT RT
                      Item #: N82E16827135146
                      $35.99 $71.98

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
                      Model #: 66I-00788
                      Item #: N82E16832116204

All for $1000. I forgot to add in an aftermarket cooler and was going to let him use some of my thermal past.
                      He called me last week and wants to know how to order and when I can come help put it together.

Also see the really long post I did here:
                      http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...mp-advice.html
                      That is a close price range to yours, without the 24" LCD
                      I like talking about stuff like this as do the other helpful people in this forum, so feel free to bounce questions and ideas off of us.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

i kinda regret buying 32 bit
                        the guy at the computerstore said that vista is goning to have support for 4 gigs soon in their next service pack.
                        i dont know if thats true he might be saying something else because he has bad english

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                        Delta MICS
                        Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Check to make sure the PSU that comes with the Sonata 3 case is in fact a Antec.

Also if you plan on SLI'ing later down the road, the supplied PSU most likely will not be able to handle a dual-card setup.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Great points. I may need to wait for 780i and start thinking about Vista. Or just forgoing SLI all together and going with a stable intel chipset.

My price limitation is just building the best bang-for-the-buck system with a decent upgrade path, around the $1000 price point.
                            Beatnik

Comment

Hey Beat, it has been a while. Come by and play some POE2 sometime.

Anyway, I do have a couple of recommendations.

(1) try www.slickdeals.net to look out for deals. I have found some amazing stuff. For example, I got an AMD x2 4400 for $10...it was retail and not stolen.

(2) I like the Coolermaster CM690 case. You can find it at http://www.clubit.com/product_detail...temno=A1306233 for $30 after rebate. It is a great case with plenty of cooling, top mounted usb ports so you don't break your thumbdrive, and it even converts a sata port into an esata connection.

(3)This might be a shot in the dark, but if you know someone who is a professor at a college, you can get vista cheap. I know that is a shot in the dark, but I found out a guy I work with is and I got Vista Ultimate upgrade for $40.

(4)You can install a full, fresh copy of Vista with an upgrade version. Just google how to and it is all over the place.

(5) Personally, I still choose AMD chips. The reason being that even though all the benchmarks show Intel is faster, most gaming comparison I have seen shows they are pretty close to each other and they can be quite a bit cheaper if you keep your eyes open. You can get an AMD 5000 Black Edition 2.6 x2 chip for $100 with shipping. It has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking BUT IT NEEDS A FAN AND HEATSINK. I got my fan and heatsink free after rebate, a coolermaster by the way.

(6) I may be wrong, but I though Nvidia is going to be coming out with a brand new set of graphics cards in about a month and they are supposed to be true DX10. Not sure though.
                              Hope this helps.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X