Another new PC specs thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another new PC specs thread

Some new reviews of the 780i chipset are out this morning, and they list the price of them.
    Bad news is they are in the $240 price range, and they haven't said when the main stream version will be out, like the 750i.
    As far as AMD, right now they are just having too many problems with their newest chips, with people having all kinds of bugs and their promises that the new chips would drop right in, which they don't and are having lots of problems.
    I was all set to buy AMD for my last computer, till intel came out with Core2, and AMDs started having problems. Word is out with CES that AMDs good stuff won't be out until May, if not later.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by gator skywalker View Post
      (6) I may be wrong, but I though Nvidia is going to be coming out with a brand new set of graphics cards in about a month and they are supposed to be true DX10. Not sure though.
      Hope this helps.
      The 8800 line are already DX10 cards.

The 9800s are coming out next month according to THG.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        The 8800 line are already DX10 cards.

The 9800s are coming out next month according to THG.
        The 8800 are DX10.0 the new cards are going to be 10.1. Don't you love how fast they left us behind :row__585:

Comment

Jeez. Ok time to do some more research before pulling the trigger.

Glad I started this thread!
          Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
            The 8800 are DX10.0 the new cards are going to be 10.1. Don't you love how fast they left us behind :row__585:
            thats hurting man i just got my 8800 gts like months ago.

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
            Delta MICS
            Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

[QUOTE=gator skywalker;884446]Hey Beat, it has been a while. Come by and play some POE2 sometime.

(5) Personally, I still choose AMD chips. The reason being that even though all the benchmarks show Intel is faster, most gaming comparison I have seen shows they are pretty close to each other and they can be quite a bit cheaper if you keep your eyes open. You can get an AMD 5000 Black Edition 2.6 x2 chip for $100 with shipping. It has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking BUT IT NEEDS A FAN AND HEATSINK. I got my fan and heatsink free after rebate, a coolermaster by the way.

get the 6400 + it already comes with a unlock mutipler, i have oone and its oced to 3.4 ghz
              oh yea u have to a buya cooler bcuz it does not come with one

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
              Delta MICS
              Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                Is there a huge difference between 10.0 and 10.1?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  Is there a huge difference between 10.0 and 10.1?
                  Some optional features were made mandatory. Pretty much image quality control and minimum standards. Even those with a DX10.0 card now should be fine for a while. We're still waiting for a lot of DX10.0 games to come out. When DX10.1 becomes a requirement, we'll all have moved on to better cards.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have been looking at similar systems. Your specs look good, but I would have some reservations:

1) nvidia chipsets seem to have bad quality. Before buying check out the nvidia user forums on reports of crashes. The intel chipsets seem to be more stable. My own nvidia nforce 4 mobo came with a hardware firewall that does not work, a IDE implementation that corrupts files and other crashes and aches. To boot nvidia seems to jump to the latest chips and stop supporting the old ones - even though it is possible to install hacked versions of the newer software.

2) if you are planning to run Vista I would be very very careful with Creative sound cards. They are nice, but it took Creative more than a year (after the official Vista release) to support the Vista driver model. Have a quick look at the creative forums for some insightful comments from their users.

3) Memory speed does not seem to make a big difference. Not more than 3%. Buy more, not faster memory.

Comment

Ok here's an updated spec sheet for my impending system purchase. I'm still on the fence on this particular motherboard (though it seems people are generally happy with it at newegg), the OS (I'm leaning toward XP 64 still), and GPU (8800 GT vs 9x00 this month or next), but everything else is pretty locked in.

Any thoughts? Really looking for not too loud, overclockable, cheap. Regardless, this is not a bad system at all for $1,000. :)

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...fig+March+2008
                      Beatnik

Comment

You have 2 mobos on your list, which one are you going for?

Comment

Yeah I keep swapping components in and out - right now I'm leaning toward either the cheaper gigabyte (i've no intention to set up RAID), or maybe an Asus mobo, although I have an Asus in my current rig and would like to try another solid, reliable mobo.
                          Beatnik

Comment

Beatnik, I have the DS3R which seems to be pretty similar, and I am really happy with it. Running Vista 32 on it and have some problems with subsecond hangs, but that may be my hardware or Vista.
                            I would not get a Western digital HD - Seagate or Hitachi are great and more reliable. I got the E8400 from MWave. It was cheaper and in stock.
                            I would recommend getting 4GB of memory. I had two at first and 4 work better, esp if you are getting 64 bit Vista. Make sure it is on the mobo list of supported RAM.
                            Someone said the 45nm processors are going to go down in price in March - so far this has not happened.
                            RAID does in fact not get you a big advantage.
                            You may want to enable AHCI on the hard drives before installing Vista - I neglected that and had some sweaty hours when nothing would boot after changing the BIOS settings.

Comment

As already mentioned, you need to look at the PSU, I dont think 500 watts will be sufficient to run a PCI-express 2.0 card in all its glory as these cards can utilise 300+watts if its available, then there is the whole SLI which will eat up even more wattage, the cards will run at a lower wattage but they can also use up wattage thats available for more grunt when its needed, also PCI-E 2.0 comes with 8 pin power connector if you want more power plug in the 6+2 or 8 pin power from your PSU, if not, just use the 6 pin power from the PSU, your PSU will therefore need to have the 8 pin or 6 pin with detachable 2 pin power, in other words it will need to be able to support PCI-E 2.0 if you want that extra power.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X