X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB won't post on new build.

GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Phenom quad-core processor black edition

I've taken EVERYTHING off of the MB, I've resat the cpu, and I've tried a separate psu. Fans on, no post, no beeps. Is this a MB or a CPU issue? It turns on then nothing (I have to pull the power to turn it off).

And I don't have another CPU or MB to test it with.
    USAR

Re: MB won't post on new build.

And it is not a monitor problem? Just checking.
    Have you tried a COSM (think spelled wrong) reset? Really easy to do while you have everything apart.
    What video card are you trying to run it though?
    Is this all new stuff you just bought, or some stuff transfered over?
    Make sure you look at the MB maker's website forums, as there are usually very smart people there that actually know about a spefic board's problems.
    I had a similar thing happen after a BIOS flash in late Nov. and found the answer in Asus's forum in a sticky.
    Might also try posting in the hardware forum over at firingsquad.com. I see them help lots of people with a thread title just like yours.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

New build, all new parts. Already tried resetting the CMOS. ATI 3850 (I had two for cross fire and tried both, no dice). Here's my Ram I'm using. Tried the Gig website, found nothing in the faqs area or customer support. Getting really peeved.
      USAR

Comment

Is the screen blank?
        - If it is, have you tried putting in the Windows CD into the drive, restarting, and waiting to see if the "Press any key...." message pops up on screen?

Sometimes the POST message doesn't display (I've never figured this one out). I've had this issue on my first ECS motherboard and later found out that everything was fine, I just couldn't see the POST messages.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact Gigabyte tech support and work with them to figure out the issue. Be patient and don't talk fast. Not all the techies there speak good English.

We also need the rest of your specs. Including your PSU, any case fans (size, etc.), controller panels (fan controllers, temp panels, etc.)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Here's my build.

Also a 700watt PSU (don't recall the manufacturer).

It has been suggested my MB doesn't support the ram I got. And I don't have any other ram to test it with.
          USAR

Comment

is your 12v cpu power plug connected? the last build i built i forgot to put the 12v cpu power (its separate from the ATX 2x12 pin plug, i think it is 2x2 sized. otherwise, id do a bios update, if you can find a non-phenom processor to get your system going, i think your mobo isnt phenom-ready from the git go
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I don't have another CPU to swap it out with, and I can't even get the machine to post to bios to do an update. :( Man looks like I'm out to tiger direct to buy a cheap pos DDR2 ram module.
              USAR

Comment

See if you can get some Corsair ValueSelect or Kingston value ram (not their HyperX). If you can POST with either of these RAM, then of course, return the OCZ and try getting something from Corsair or Kingston's lineup. You should also check Gigabyte's forum (if one exists) for some help in regards to what brands of RAM to choose or call their tech support again and ask what they recommend.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Gigabytes tech support really doesn't exist :( And apparently they flagged the OCZ I am using as OK to run in the MB. Ugh, Bull****. I just posted to OCZ's tech support forums (apparently they are top notch), maybe I'll get some kind of work around.
                  USAR

Comment

Did you try a "bare bones" MB start? Only power, video, minimum ram and cpu?
                    None of your other peripherals. No hard drives or DVD/CD. Are you booting it from floppy or USB?
                    When I did my board that was one of the recommendations.
                    Also, are you sure your cpu chip is fully engaged in the socket?

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
                      Gigabytes tech support really doesn't exist :( And apparently they flagged the OCZ I am using as OK to run in the MB. Ugh, Bull****. I just posted to OCZ's tech support forums (apparently they are top notch), maybe I'll get some kind of work around.

You should be able to get at least beep codes with just the cpu, no ram.

AMI BIOS: 3 short beeps (base ram failure) is what you get with no ram installed. Check in your manual. At least you'll know your processor/mobo works before you go out and buy more parts.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

How is the CPU fan plugged in? Is it connected to the PSU or the fan connector on the motherboard? Sometimes a motherboard won't boot if there isn't a fan connected to it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks for the questions guys, everything checks out fine. My MB doesn't beep at all, but I think that's due to there being no speaker installed (I can't find one on the schematics) and a pin out allowing for a MB speaker. I tried listening for beeps with only certain peripherals installed earlier when I had issues.

That said, I think it's a Ram voltage issue. Mine is ratted 2.2, the MB starts off with 1.8.
                          USAR

Comment

Nevermind. It's either the MB or the CPU. Time to call newegg.
                            USAR

Comment

Poop.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed