Dell Blow out items

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Blow out items

Dell is blowing out items in their consumer higher-end price range.

It's even better if you have a gold-team to work with you. An example is a 46" Sony Bravia for $1899 and if you have a gold team member quote it.. it'll be around $1500.

If you got your EoY bonus and want to spend it on some goodies.. give them a call. Good prices in general, but if you work on getting the purchase quoted - you'll do better.
    sigpic

Re: Dell Blow out items

Sorry to say but in my opinion Dell is horrid. Their proprietary standard ruined my first PC and I had to build my own.

Comment

I didn't know Sony Bravia's had proprietary Dell parts in them? :madsmile:

Granted, I only have experience with Dell's upper-end equipment but I haven't run across any proprietary stuff. Stuff that was made for Dell yes, proprietary? No.
      sigpic

Comment

"I had to build my own."

You say that like it's a bad thing. You were lost on the path, buying a name-brand like that. They fixed you.

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
          I didn't know Sony Bravia's had proprietary Dell parts in them? :madsmile:

Granted, I only have experience with Dell's upper-end equipment but I haven't run across any proprietary stuff. Stuff that was made for Dell yes, proprietary? No.
          Dells propreitary standards are what made me not like them. They sell Sony Bravias and no they aren't proprietary to Dell but I won't buy them because they are from Dell. Your last sentence made no sense but here is what was proprietary and could not be used on any other computer but the one I got from Dell: heatsink, motherboard and case.

Comment

Originally posted by kean View Post
            Dells propreitary standards are what made me not like them. They sell Sony Bravias and no they aren't proprietary to Dell but I won't buy them because they are from Dell. Your last sentence made no sense but here is what was proprietary and could not be used on any other computer but the one I got from Dell: heatsink, motherboard and case.
            Well, not to argue over it without knowing what model you had.

Heatsink, MB and case may be custom designed for Dell but they are still standardized.. PCI slots, CPU sockets, DIMM slots, Main power connectors, IDE/ATA/SATA connects.. all standard, right? The CMOS battery is probably even a CR2032. If I wanted to upgrade the CPU, I'd just buy the right chip for the right socket (and make sure the BIOS would support it) by intel or AMD or whatever.

Now, the other thing about using the heatsink, MB, and case in another computer - I think I would outright buy those new anyway.. pretty much the least expensive parts in a system.

Additionally, the one time that I WAS snagged up in using a Dell computer was that we had three workstations that didn't use DIMM memory shots.. they were RIMM and RIMMS became hard to find.. but it wasn't Dell's Fault that Rambus couldn't hold on the the memory markets.

If Dell can be criticised for anything at all, it the their low end PC's - but that can pretty much be said for all the low end PC's. You get what you pay for and under a certain $$ amount, you are pretty much buying a disposable PC. I also think their consumer customer service is horrible but I'm not sure others are much different. I can attest that their consumer service is different from their IT/Professional service - because I used them both during the same week for the same thing and was treated TOTALLY different so I can appreciate consumer frustration with Dell customer support.

Anyway.. time to get out of the office.. just my $.02
            sigpic

Comment

I thought this was a funny article I found on The Register in light of Kean and I's sparring. :D

Originally posted by The Register
              Computer giant Dell stunned a Reg reader seeking a processor upgrade when it told him he might want to consider a "Mac".

The El Reg reader had emailed the firm's hardware technical support team asking whether it was possible to upgrade his one year old Dimension 9150's processor to a Core2 CPU without having to also replace other components.

Here's how Dell hardware frontline responded:

Thank you for your response to Dell hardware tech support. It's true that if you want to upgrade the processor to a high end, you need to upgrade motherboard and consequently other devices like PSU, proc fan etc. I would suggest that purchasing a new PC is a better option than to upgrade it on this system as replacing the motherboard and processor is going to be expensive.

It's better you get a new system with duo or quad core processor. Mac is a good option. You may also look at XPS systems of Dell [XPS One is the best in XPS performance line], you may google on this system to get more information.

In case you missed it, we'll give you that quote just one more time, "Mac is a good option".

Now, it's possible that the techie was referring to a 1970s rock band, or to an item of waterproof clothing. But we can't help concluding that he was indeed talking about Apple's Mac.

It wouldn't be the first time the company has spun a donut before going into reverse. In the last year, it has ditched its Wintel roots to embrace Ubuntu (sort of), and reversed its direct only policy by punting its machines alongside pints of milk in Tesco.

We asked the company if this is yet another symptom of its corporate identity crisis. Strangely, it's yet to respond to our questions.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                Well, not to argue over it without knowing what model you had.

Heatsink, MB and case may be custom designed for Dell but they are still standardized.. PCI slots, CPU sockets, DIMM slots, Main power connectors, IDE/ATA/SATA connects.. all standard, right? The CMOS battery is probably even a CR2032. If I wanted to upgrade the CPU, I'd just buy the right chip for the right socket (and make sure the BIOS would support it) by intel or AMD or whatever.

Now, the other thing about using the heatsink, MB, and case in another computer - I think I would outright buy those new anyway.. pretty much the least expensive parts in a system.
                It was a Dimension 8400. Here's the story, I bought a new case because my Dell case was literally falling apart. Get the new case(Antec 900) and the mother board doesn't fit and neither does the power supply. It didn't matter that the chip set and slots were standardized because the motherboard wouldn't go into the case, and a good motherboard is second or third most expensive item in a computer. The heatsink though cheap still is a pain when it also only fits Dell motherboards and the power supply is another $100.

I like the mac article, but don't even get me started with macs :D

Comment

Would you buy a Sony TV through Apple? :row__523:

Lucky Shot

Comment

I bought a Sony camera from Dell business and I had to go through their online customer service when I saw there was a 3 week delay on the product from their warehouse. The service rep I chatted with looked the item up, assured me it would ship within 24 hours, and lo and behold it got here a couple days later. Pretty good service, with the exception of making me panic because I thought I'd have to wait 3 weeks for an item they said they had in stock.
                    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I have nothing but good experiences with dell. I bought a XPS gaming Laptop in 2005 for myself and an inspiron laptop for the wife. Both are still running fine, but when I thought there may have been a problem, Dells customer service set it right. Very helpful custormer service w/o extended waits anytime I had to call (which was relatively few and far between). Recently, I purchased a PS3 through dell and still have no complaints.

I should say that calling their sales department is a good idea. I was able to get a much better deal with their live salesperson then what they were offering online.

Comment

Originally posted by kean View Post
                        It was a Dimension 8400. Here's the story, I bought a new case because my Dell case was literally falling apart. Get the new case(Antec 900) and the mother board doesn't fit and neither does the power supply. It didn't matter that the chip set and slots were standardized because the motherboard wouldn't go into the case, and a good motherboard is second or third most expensive item in a computer. The heatsink though cheap still is a pain when it also only fits Dell motherboards and the power supply is another $100.

I like the mac article, but don't even get me started with macs :D
                        Huh.. well. I can see the 8400 case falling apart. Pieces o'crap unless you are working with the precision series. I've got some in the office and the cases are holding up OK.. but they are pretty well cared for. In fact.. my personal office workstation was an 8400 and I exchanged a lot of parts out of it over the last few years.. but I hadn't needed to go through the fixes you had to go through.

For a gamer box.. I would only build my own. It pays off to standardize with Dell or HP when dealing with a company environment and when you spend enough with HP or Dell.. it's kinda like Vegas - they take care of you, free drinks all night long. Unfortunately, I spend a LOT of time evaluating hardware and software combinations and I come up with some REALLY unexpected results.

I've had the same problems or worse from customer service from ASUS, NVidia, ATI, AMD, Boxx, Xi, HP, Alien, and so on. On that scale.. and on a professional level, I've had generally better service from Dell, NewEgg, Cisco, Watchguard, Autodesk, Microsoft (can you believe it!?), Symantec, and Adobe.

So, I'm sorry if I chastised you unnecessarily about your opinion.. but it's kind of a sensitive point for me when a blanket statement is made about a company based on a single experience.. if you consistently get crappy product from a company (gee.. Wal-Mart comes to mind - regardless of the label they are selling). It's better to take advantage of a company with an identity crises (Dell) and buy their super discounts on name brand products that aren't rebranded as their own.

I could continue.. but I'm sure my IHS members and other TG members would rip me up for being my usual.. 'too wordy-ness'.:madsmile:
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach View Post
                          a PS3 through dell and still have no complaints.

I should say that calling their sales department is a good idea. I was able to get a much better deal with their live salesperson then what they were offering online.
                          Yes! Call.

The sales department will do better deals than the online price. If you are insistant at the right time of year (like right now - it's their end of fiscal year in January).

On consumer products under $1500.. you might not always get a better price but you migh get' 'zero cost items' like extended warrantys that you pay extra for at Best Buy and Circuit City thrown in for free.

You also get 'customer protection' if you call Dell sales instead of just buying outright online. If you have a wrong matchup online for what you want and your sales person says it's OK and makes it work.. and it doesn't work - Dell will fix the problem at thier expense - shipping and everything. Even if you have a perfect matchup online and it doesn't work.. you have a much better chance of getting it fixed at no cost to you if you go through a sales person than you buying it blindly online.

Even if you design what you want online - add it to your saved items and just complete your sale with a salesperson - you'll have the customer sales protection off the bat.. thats kinda nice.
                          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't recommend a dell computer anytime unless your buying it for general purposes not gaming. If you want to go the gaming route I suggest you build you own. Its alot cheaper and you can modify it to fit your personal preferences.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X