Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Monitor

Hi all,

Looking to get a new LCD monitor as my old 20" Sony Tinitron is on the fritz.

I was looking at this Samsung 22", it's $279 after rebate but they have an open box item for $239.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001096

It is rated at 2ms. I am wondering if this is a good gaming monitor.

I've never had a wide screen before. Does that put a different spin on things.
    Does it improve yoru gaming experience or hinder it?

Thanks

Re: New Monitor

I got this one on sale for $200 last month: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16824009094

I upgraded from a 17" CRT, and the difference is amazing. Widescreen makes a pretty big difference on games that support it. For example, I'm playing through HL2: Episode 2 right now and it's great to have the extra field of view. Company of Heroes is nice with the widescreen too.

As far as the response rate, that's fine. LCD technology seems to be at a point now where, unless you're getting a bargain brand model, most are fine for the purpose of gaming.

I've heard pretty good things about the Samsung too. Do a search of these forums, because there are about a half dozen other threads like this over the past 3 months.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I am on a 22" and love it. Most newer games support it, but Battlefield 2 does not without a hack that can make some people's game look squashed. It runs fine on mine though. Pretty much every game from here on out will have widescreen support. GRAW2 and Crysis are both fine.
      As far as Samsung, people really like their stuff, and they do make some beautiful monitors.
      Just look at the reviews from other buyers at newegg.
      As far as the open box, I would consider getting one at a place like Bestbuy, where for like $15 you could get an extended warranty and it still be covered no matter what, but not so sure about newegg, where their return would be different and harder to do.
      It is nice to have a widescreen for surfing the web as well, and you can set it up so that you still have a normal window and still see your Vista sidebar gadgets.
      If you have the money, you won't regret it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

so, if you have am older game that does not support widescreen, does that mean it will not load?

Or does it just look squashed?

Comment

If a game doesn't support wides screen the image will be slightly distorted. Still playable but not perfect. You can usually find a hack or work around to fix it though. I think there is a website called wide screen gaming or something to that effect that has a big collection of work arounds.

I would strongly recommend getting a monitor with a good return and refund policy. I went from a decent CRT to a Samsung LCD and after a week of tweaking I was not happy at all. It had a fast response time, 5ms, but the colors were awfull and shadows looked very poor. It had good reviews but my eyes didn't like it.

I went with a Viewsonic that had a panel more suited to photo editing and had a 16ms response time. I get very minimal ghosting and only in some games. The colors are wonderfull and shadows look real. I am much happier with this LCD.

Bottom line do your homework but be sure you can return for a full refund not a store credit. I would have been stuck if I had a store credit as everything else at the first store was not up to par. Good luck.

Comment

It'll just look squashed, or therre will be black bars on the left and right side of the screen.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Might be out of your price range but this is 24" of pure kickasness
              http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=BENQ

Im a very satisfied customer.

Comment

You can't really go wrong as long as it's not manufactured by Hewlett Packard (HP), they're notorious for having the backlight die. My brand new screen died during a 50-mile car journey just because of a couple of bumps.

Hannspree, BenQ or Acer are brilliant makes and the latter 2 are part of the same company. Fact. I got a BenQ LCD screen with an Acer PC a few years ago and I'm still using it now, "Benq FP71G+" is the model.

Hannspree are new to the market but are quickly becoming the best choice for price and quality. If you try various websites you'll find a nice sturdy 19" Hannspree for around $200. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138535
                Last edited by 1er; 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X