Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fraps not recording sound in Vista, sometimes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fraps not recording sound in Vista, sometimes?

Ever since I moved to Windows Vista...fraps records sounds of the game about 50 percent of the time only... I played a excellent ArmA mission made by Biff 4 times this AM, and recorded different segments to make a excellent mission video... but not once did the sound record...so I wasn't all that time... I checked the settings and all appears normal, was wondering if anyone might have an idea why this is happening... here is a screen of my fraps and volume settings... (I included the fill screen to show off my new wallpaper, lol)

Any idea why sound isn't recording?

thx
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: fraps not recording sound in Vista, sometimes?

I can think of three things
    1) simplify it down to the game and fraps, ie turn off TS, xfire and everything else, particularly teamspeak
    2) check fraps is the latest version and that version is vista compatible (I expect you have done this)
    3) takes fraps out of the equation and try growler guncam, just to see if its the recording application

Comment

yep to both...actucally, when I use TS fraps actually records sounds... when I don't (like for SP) it don't. lol weird.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
        yep to both...actucally, when I use TS fraps actually records sounds... when I don't (like for SP) it don't. lol weird.
        that really is quite bizarre

I suggest trying a different recording app like growther guncam and see if the results are better ie stable sound

Comment

if you wanted to show off your fancy desktop picture ;), you didnt have to dress it up in this fraps sound thread, you could have just started a thread "look at awesome me and my awesome desktop!" ;) "and watch out for that foot coming through the screen, its about to knock over your cup of tea"

Comment

get it and more (still adding) at my web site www.gettacticaldammit.com
            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Which version of FRAPS are you using. I know there were some Vista sound issues with some of the 2.9.x series that was supposedly fixed by 2.9.3. As of right now, the latest version is 2.9.4.

Comment

Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Fraps just has this sort of problem, probably because of Vista's new sound architecture. I can't record sound at all in ArmA but an older game like Vietcong is no problem. It even records in 5.1 for Vietcong. UT3 doesn't work so it's funny how the newer games just do sound in a way that a Fraps/Vista combination doesn't work. I don't think I've tried any other games but recording while setting Fraps to "Windows Input" will record from my mic (primary recording device). The DirectStream setting is pretty much bogus.

I've tried other game recording programs like Growler but everything else either can't record sound or can only record from the mic.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

well after extensive testing, driver checking etc etc I've learned that it's just ArmA that won't record sound...all my other games record correctly... damn, I had some good ideas for a video AAR too... oh well.
                    Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                      well after extensive testing, driver checking etc etc I've learned that it's just ArmA that won't record sound...all my other games record correctly... damn, I had some good ideas for a video AAR too... oh well.
                      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...ets-fraps.html

Try that new utility and see if it works in ArmA.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

actually I did that as soon as I read it, (and even shared the news over at SimHQ...with credit to TG for the news find)...when I installed it, it told me I had no sound... so with it It wouldn't record ANY games sound...

then i tried it... ArmA is NOT supported, so I tried it with Crysis... it never worked, never recorded anything....that program needs alot of work still IMO... did it work for anyone yet?
                        Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

I tried XFire's new video recording tonight and it was a dismal failure. Every time I engaged it, I would CTD within a minute. This was with 2142. I haven't (and probably won't) try it with anything else.

Comment

Hey, new version of fraps in out:
                            New version of Fraps out <--link

That might help...................

14th January 2008 - Fraps 2.9.4 Released

The latest Fraps 2.9 release adds support for Vista and DirectX 10 games. With games starting to appear using DirectX 10 graphics we are happy to report that benchmarking, video capture, and screenshots are now all fully supported for these titles.

Vista also includes a rewritten audio subsystem. Fraps can take advantage of this and directly record a sound stream from the machine without requiring any support from the soundcard driver. This allows you to capture ingame audio even if you are using a USB headset or other audio device which does not normally support a "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" recording input.

Since the Vista Desktop Window Manager (DWM) runs through DirectX we have also added a new option to monitor the desktop under Vista. You can now take screenshots and record video from the desktop just like any other game or 3D application.

Changelog

2.9.4 - 14th Jan 2008
                            - Added 64-bit Fraps FPS1 codec
                            - Added support for resolutions up to 2560x1600 on single core CPUs
                            - Fixed crash when recording with sound under Vista SP1
                            - Fixed D3D9 recording speed on x64 versions of Windows
                            - Fixed Windows start bug when Fraps installed in a folder with a space in the name
                            - Improved compatibility with 3rd party graphic utilities

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X