No announcement yet.

Windows XP Sucks! I'll Never Leave 2k!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Sucks! I'll Never Leave 2k!

Read a pretty good article today that is pretty much how I feel about the Vista situation as it is right now. Just passing it on, and be sure to read some of the comments after the short article.

Why isn't Vista loved as much as XP? <--Link

Summary:

Wow, it's like we've been transported back in time to 2001 and the Windows XP launch. Who here remembers what that was like? Every tech-head online and offline was going on about how XP was just an incremental upgrade to 2k, but rife with incompatibility issues, and forcing users to relearn where basic system utilities were. No one was going to upgrade. Windows 2000 and 98 were going to be it forever. Those all worked just fine for what everyone needed... and didn't require as powerful a machine. XP was doomed to failure.

Now, 7 years later, we're going through the same process, only this time the OS versions have changed. Now Vista is the reviled OS and XP is the golden child that can do no wrong.

How quickly we forget.

Steve Parker over at Neowin sums up the situation quite nicely with a walk down memory lane, recounting the dark days of hardware and driver incompatibility with XP, the hoops you had to jump through, and how long it took to get proper support. The point? It's the same song and dance for Windows Vista.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows XP Sucks! I'll Never Leave 2k!

With market share like M$, you can afford to ship junk knowing you can force the masses to adopt you sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      Read a pretty good article today that is pretty much how I feel about the Vista situation as it is right now. Just passing it on, and be sure to read some of the comments after the short article.

Why isn't Vista loved as much as XP? <--Link

Summary:

Wow, it's like we've been transported back in time to 2001 and the Windows XP launch. Who here remembers what that was like? Every tech-head online and offline was going on about how XP was just an incremental upgrade to 2k, but rife with incompatibility issues, and forcing users to relearn where basic system utilities were. No one was going to upgrade. Windows 2000 and 98 were going to be it forever. Those all worked just fine for what everyone needed... and didn't require as powerful a machine. XP was doomed to failure.

Now, 7 years later, we're going through the same process, only this time the OS versions have changed. Now Vista is the reviled OS and XP is the golden child that can do no wrong.

How quickly we forget.

Steve Parker over at Neowin sums up the situation quite nicely with a walk down memory lane, recounting the dark days of hardware and driver incompatibility with XP, the hoops you had to jump through, and how long it took to get proper support. The point? It's the same song and dance for Windows Vista.

Yeah, well phooey on all that.. I'll never give up my Windows 3.11! :madsmile:
      sigpic

Comment

If you look back at all the post that discuss Vista here you notice I said the same thing, "Its just like back when XP came out". There's just a lot of bad media around Vista, most of which steam from the Release Candidate versions.

I myself like Vista a lot more than XP.

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
          Yeah, well phooey on all that.. I'll never give up my Windows 3.11! :madsmile:
          DOS Forever! :row__577:
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm waiting till they release an SP1 or SP2...I'll stick with XP for now... I've never been an early adopter.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

DOS SP2? Or 3.11 SP2? (jk)

I've got Vista 64 SP1 RC now - so far nothing earth shattering yet.. but nothing has broken yet either.. so I guess that is good.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't remember anyone saying how awesome 2k was over XP, or recall nearly the same backlash against XP that Vista has had. I couldn't wait to upgrade to XP, but I'm really not looking forward to upgrading to Vista. Ugh.
                Beatnik

Comment

I recall the XP release. XP was a security nightmare until SP2. I won't allow it to be connected to the Internet until it's got at least SP2, and even then I'd prefer to add a NAT router and an AV.

It's not that 2k was better, but that XP offered nothing worth the cost and pain of the upgrade. I continue to run 2k and most of the games I play work fine on it, right alongside my XP64 system. (The latter was set up as a LAN box with a lightweight chassis while the 2k system weighs a ton, and I wanted to start playing with 64-bit stuff.)

Vista, like XP, differs primarily in UI. It adds some security stuff that mostly gets in the way in a manner that actually reduces security. It adds DX10, which I don't care about. (I'm not an eye candy junky, and I'd rather have something portable anyway, like OpenGL and OpenAL.) It uses the 3D part of the video card instead of the 2D part to render the desktop, making it potentially open windows faster.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'll never leave 2000. Except for Ubuntu if they can figure out how to run TF2.

Netflix won't let me download films because they fail at supporting computers that aren't filled with cartoons. Other than that, and Hauppage's failure on its ATSC tuner card, there is nothing after 2000 that matters.

Comment

I remember all the bad gossip about XP when it was launched. I still had 98 at the time and some people I knew had bought a new computer with XP on it and shortly after would call me and ask me to fix it for them. The majority of the people that get a new OS are computer illiterate and have no idea what they are doing and mess things up themselves. I witnessed this first hand. I had no problems with XP when I finally decided to upgrade to it except my video card at that time was not supported and I had to find beta drivers, which actually worked really good. So my experience was not bad with XP at all, just slightly delayed for about an hour cause I had to search the internet for the video drivers.
                      I have never really fooled with 2000 so can not comment on it but I have fooled with Vista a little(very little mind ya). What little I have done with Vista is from others messing it up at that. So, with a little time experimenting I was able to get those computers back to their rightful working condition according to their owners without doing a system restore or a factory restore. I plan on buying Vista 64 bit in about another week or 2 when I build a new computer.

Comment

I never had a security breach while running XP and XP SP1. Most of so-called security holes don't concern most users who took actively to defend themselves with a active firewall, anti-virus, a safe browser, careful surfing, and so forth.

2000 was a good OS. I still have a key and CD for 2000 Pro. It's sorta in safe keeping just in case I need to run a home server or a 6th PC.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Most of so-called security holes don't concern most users who took actively to defend themselves with a active firewall, anti-virus, a safe browser, careful surfing, and so forth.
                          Directly, no. But you suffered by the increase in spam caused by all those pre-SP2 XP Home systems getting owned by spammers deploying zombies.

The big problem with XP was actually a result of its 2k roots. It was the first home OS widely deployed that left lots of unused and buggy services running on open ports. Win98 didn't offer such services, except file sharing, and that had to be explicitly installed and enabled. With XP, the typical user wouldn't want the hassle of figuring out which mystery options to install, so he told the system to install all of them. With no firewall spackling over the resulting swiss cheese of open ports, it became trivial to usurp such systems for nefarious ends.

Those coming from a Win2k background tended to have some awareness of security issues, but most home users upgraded from Win98, and knew nothing of the risks they were introducing.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                            I don't remember anyone saying how awesome 2k was over XP, or recall nearly the same backlash against XP that Vista has had. I couldn't wait to upgrade to XP, but I'm really not looking forward to upgrading to Vista. Ugh.
                            Windows 2k was a very good operating system. I still have it on my old laptop. I didn't get XP until I went to my new job back in 2003 and my computer had it pre-installed. The only problem I remember was that it didn't support some games. Was it a directX thing? Don't remember. And some drivers where hard to come by. But those drivers where also pretty darn stable.

Acreo is right. It just worked and was as stable as you could hope for. Of course it was the last of the "NT" technology for the client so it should have been stable. I loved that OS.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I upgraded to XP when xp-antispy was released. Best XP tool ever. Only thing left to do after running it is to disable the "Designs" service and you are good to go.
                              If it only were that simple with Vista! :)
                              former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X