Grr. 2142 DVD Ruined!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grr. 2142 DVD Ruined!

Darn DVD-ROM scratched my 2142 DVD and at this point, I will most likely need to buy another copy.

I ended up keeping my 2142 DVD in my DVD-ROM drive and it's been in there since the middle of last year since I used to play 2142 daily and did not want to push the disk in and out.

Well, lo' and behold, I can't play most of my games anymore so I decided just now to eject the disk and put back in the box for safe keeping.

*pushes eject button*

Driver whirls...spins...tries to eject and a fraction of a second later goes right back in (moved about 1 mm).

*uses paper clip in eject hole*

Same thing happens.

I ended up restarting my computer hoping it was a Windows lock-up. Still no luck.

So I ended up unplugging my system, disconnected the EIDE cable from the drive, then I started up my system and ejected the disk.

Then I turn it over and WHAM. Ugly scratch mark through the middle and dust and other crap stuck/melted onto the center of the disk (between the read area and the hole.

This has never happened before. Now I am experience ejection issues with the DVD-RW drive below it as well. I'll either get a successful eject or it'll come half out with the disk tilted and attempt to slide back in or not come out at all.

Are my two Lite-On drives toast? Should I be replacing both of my optical drives?

Suggestions, comments, stories, etc. welcome.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Grr. 2142 DVD Ruined!

Even if your dvd rom is ruined, you can just mount an image if you have the game installed already when you play. Melting usually happens if I leave a cd in the drive too long ( in your case half a year) but I don't know much about your problem with the optical drives. Good luck and see you around!

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies,
    as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

-Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

Comment

That's what happened to us for a while when our disc drive wanted to act all stupid and destroy all DVDs we put in it. The disc would go in, and all the sudden it'd begin to whir really fast. It sounded like a circular saw. We'd have to press the eject button, and it'd come out still spinning really fast. Our disc is pretty scratched up, but it still reads. I truly suggest you did what we did and buy a new disc drive. I think EA retains all your account info regardless of what CD Key you use, so you should be fine. If not, have fun climbing back to the rank of Brig Gen.
      sigpic

Formerly of the fabled 3rd Special Forces Detachment

"On that day half a century ago, our species was pushed to the crumbling edge of extinction. And as we teetered on that precipice, staring down into the abyss, a hand reached out, pulled us back from the brink, and gave us hope... the hand of a Hero."

Comment

Hmm, well if I have to reclimb the ranks, I'm doing it on my next system not this one.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into purchasing replacement drives for this old computer (4 years+ and 2 transplants) before I hand it off to my siblings or dad.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It almost sounds like something the drives mechanical ejection system started to go bad.

A little belt is most likely slipping.
          Last edited by BeSiege82; 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

If you end up buying a new copy, just use your original CD key and your original account and soldiers will be just fine.

Comment

I believe you can contact EA to get a new disc. You will probably have to take a snapshot of your existing DVD and pay a small fee for the disc itself, but I don't think it will be as costly as buying a whole new game.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                I believe you can contact EA to get a new disc. You will probably have to take a snapshot of your existing DVD and pay a small fee for the disc itself, but I don't think it will be as costly as buying a whole new game.
                That's possible? I thought they weren't liable for damages to the disk (in such a case)...
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

They aren't, which is why they will likely charge you a fee for a replacement DVD, but when it comes down to it, the media doesn't cost them much to begin with. :)

Comment

Oh whoops. Skipped over where Asch said "pay a small fee". My mind is preoccupied with a down website.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I put in my Command & Conquer Generals CD a few months ago and in the middle of reinstalling it I heard a "BAM!" Look down to see a chunk of plastic broken off the door to the drive and the C&C disk in a million little pieces. Most were still in the drive but a few managed to make their way out the hole the flying shards made :).

Regarding you're disk, have you thought of using one of there? They're a bit expensive but I've used mine on countless occasions and it works really well. I've had plenty of scratched disks that I thought would never work again be revived by my Skip Dr. It's basically a rubber wheel that grinds into the disk a bit, and clears off most scratches.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Yes I have. I might invest some money into one in the future. I'm just concerned it might take off too much of the clear plastic when it starts grinding down the disk.

I did manage to find my brother's copy and plan to use it in the future since he no longer has any interest in 2142.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Depending on how much you may want to spend, EA has the option of replacing the disc usually cheaper then buying a new game with the another CD KEY. I had lost my BF2142 game disk a week after I had bought it when it first came out and was $50 or more. SO I didn't want to spend that much again so contacted EA and they said I could buy a replacement disc with no CD KEY for $15. I did of course but since so much time has passed it may be cheaper just to buy a whole new game intead of paying $15 for just the game disc itself. Maybe EA has dropped the replacement disc fee but I doubt it.
                          Asch, they checked the CD KEY with some other info I already had for verification from when I registered the game

Can BF2142 be mounted in a virtual drive? I thought all mini images still did not work?

Comment

According to Draeh, he's managed to run his game off of a image (burned with latest Alcohol 120%). So it's most likely possible to mount it on a virtual drive. Of course, I don't have Alcohol, so I couldn't rip a successful image of my 2142 DVD.

So EA just sends out the disk for $15?

Edit:

Oh sweet!

News here: http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/01...eluxe-edition/

BF2142 Regular Edition: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832130015 ($20)
                            BF2142 Deluxe Edition: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832130077 ($28)

That's so nice. Now I can buy it with the NS booster pack. :D
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

One of two things:

Ever seen the exploding disk myth on Mythbusters? Sweet

Two, mounting images saves a lot of time, you can use Daemon software, downloadable from the internet. Takes a while to know your way around problems and most of th time it is some stupid common sense thing you missed.
                              I see, I come, I conquer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X