CHKDSK alternative?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHKDSK alternative?

So one of the partitions on one of my SATA drives seems to have lost it's way. I can see the drive, but when I try accessing it, I get a "File/Directory is corrupt and not accessible".

When i run CHKDSK (or when windows auto-runs it after booting), It finds and "corrects" some errors, but then about 30 seconds into it, CHKDSK crashes with some "unknown error occured".

Sooooooo... anyone have some good disk utils? Don't know if needs MFT repair or what...

Re: CHKDSK alternative?

Sounds like a big kaboom. I would run a bootable linux and see if I can copy files off to someplace safe, then see if the disk can be recovered.

Comment

well, there's another partition the same drive that's perfectly fine... so I assume there's nothing catastrophically wrong w/ the physical media....

I got no linux skills or floppy drives... i'm lookin for a windows app... norton? disk doctor? the smaller the better, but I'll take any suggestions :)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
        well, there's another partition the same drive that's perfectly fine... so I assume there's nothing catastrophically wrong w/ the physical media....

I got no linux skills or floppy drives... i'm lookin for a windows app... norton? disk doctor? the smaller the better, but I'll take any suggestions :)

chkdsk itself might be borked (if it's on that suspect partition).

Try the recovery console. You can run chkdsk from there.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Kick it. Hard.

If that don't work then...

I dont know
          |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

did you run both chkdsk/f and chkdsk/r ? I think the /r takes a lot longer but it has patched me up in the past when things weren't looking so good.

If you are looking for a disk optimizer you can find several free ones
            on www.download.com under downloads/system utilities
            They have ratings and user reviews that are pretty helpful.

Comment

If that's the boot partition, make it the slave drive, boot from a different disk, and then chkdsk it.

You might look for a bootable repair CD. This one has a pretty good reputation:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

think I did both /r and /f... I'll double check.

No, it's not the boot partition... It's a SATA data drive... J: and K: are both on that same disk. J: is fine, K:, not so much. It shows up in my computer, but it can't open/anything.

Comment

go all office space on it, that never helps, but it sure feels good; i think i might send my broken drive to the will it blend people