Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Broadband user help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wireless Broadband user help

    I have wireless broadband at my house. For the most part I am happy with it. I pay $44/mo. and get 256 up and 2mb down at best.

    Unfortunately, every once in a while, like tonight, it flakes out on me. Right now I'm getting between 500-600kbs down and it's pretty much unplayable in Joint Ops. It's still great for surfing the web, but gameplay is iffy.

    My question is two fold; does anyone else have a similar service and problems with it, and should I go for cable for the same price?

    Thanks for your input!
    New to TG?

  • #2
    Re: Wireless Broadband user help

    What's your upload speed at the time your having problems? If your getting that download rate, that is more than sufficient to play JO. The other thing you will want to take into consideration is your latency. If youre experiencing high latency to the server(s) that will cause a problem with connectivity.

    Designed by Lemonade

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Wireless Broadband user help

      Yes you should switch to cable for the same price. Even if you do get a slightly less max download cap, you will experience a much more stable connection due to the nature of the beast called wireless.

      Since it is wireless, your internet connection is highly dependant upon the weather, etc. (this doesn't just mean storms etc, there are also weather patterns that disturb network traffic that aren't as easily visible as a storm would be). Also, your connection is never going to be as secure as it is on cable. It doesn't matter how much encryption you use, or firewall, etc, your data is being transmitted via air waves and can be intercepted and recorded, and once recorded, it can be deciphered, it just takes time. While no one cares about getting the data packets from your game, they would love to get their hands on your handy CC number etc.

      Switch to cable, you'll be much happier in the long run (and probably short run as well).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Wireless Broadband user help

        Originally posted by ImJustMito
        Yes you should switch to cable for the same price. Even if you do get a slightly less max download cap, you will experience a much more stable connection due to the nature of the beast called wireless.

        Since it is wireless, your internet connection is highly dependant upon the weather, etc. (this doesn't just mean storms etc, there are also weather patterns that disturb network traffic that aren't as easily visible as a storm would be). Also, your connection is never going to be as secure as it is on cable. It doesn't matter how much encryption you use, or firewall, etc, your data is being transmitted via air waves and can be intercepted and recorded, and once recorded, it can be deciphered, it just takes time. While no one cares about getting the data packets from your game, they would love to get their hands on your handy CC number etc.

        Switch to cable, you'll be much happier in the long run (and probably short run as well).
        I'm with Mito on this one. If wireless is what you want around the house, wifi routers have plummeted in price lately. Such a setup would allow your main computer to have a hardwired connection, and any other more casual setups more than enough juice for most normal, not-as-intensive-as-gaming network needs.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

        Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Wireless Broadband user help

          Thanks for the replies guys. Another test this morning shows it performing fairly well. Right now I'm getting about 1mb down and 290 up. Last night at it's slowest it was at 300 down and 200 up and my ping to the TG server was 400. There was major packet loss too.

          I really don't need wireless in my home network. In fact, my home network is wired right now. The wireless just connects my house to the tower down the road. I just have two computers and they are in the same room, so no biggie to me. Wireless was the only option in our area until recenlty. If I could get rid of the flaky connection by going to cable than I would do it tomorrow.

          ImJustMito, you say Cable is not flaky like dial-ups and wireless? My cable co. told me I'd have 3mb download speed...is that possible on a cable modem?
          New to TG?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Wireless Broadband user help

            Originally posted by USN_Squid
            ImJustMito, you say Cable is not flaky like dial-ups and wireless? My cable co. told me I'd have 3mb download speed...is that possible on a cable modem?
            I have that package... Comcast? I highly doubt that you would reach that point. I havenít seen it since it came out 4 or 5 months ago. I've had 3 or 4 downloads going at 400kB+. (From different sites) The biggest restriction would be the capabilities of the connection on the other end. Cable works well as long as your neighborhood isn't overloaded. I live around a bunch of computer illiterate people that have cable to check email, and IM. So my connection is consistent. Go for it, i'll bet you'll like it.
            birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Wireless Broadband user help

              I got charter's 3mb. I love it. 4 am is a 5.5-6mb heaven. most of the other times, I am hard pressed to get below 2 or 2.5. even if it dipped to 1.5, I would be happy. It is the 9 bucks less than dsl's 1.5, so anything over that is icing. plus, ping times are lower with cable than with dsl, satellite, or wireless. and lets not even go into dialup.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

              If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Wireless Broadband user help

                Well, you guys should work for Comcast. If they offer a referral benny I'd be happy to give it to someone here. I'll be looking into making the switch later this week.

                Thanks!
                New to TG?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Wireless Broadband user help

                  Originally posted by USN_Squid
                  If I could get rid of the flaky connection by going to cable than I would do it tomorrow.

                  ImJustMito, you say Cable is not flaky like dial-ups and wireless? My cable co. told me I'd have 3mb download speed...is that possible on a cable modem?
                  Yes, it's very possible. There are even areas that are starting to offer up to 5mbit download. The limit on the speeds cable modems have is currently limited by the hardware that your cable company holds. Right now I think the technology supports up to 10mbit speeds for one modem? I've never seen it, but I've heard it's out there...

                  And as for it fixing your flaky connection, it will fix it in a heartbeat. You mentioned that you were getting a lot of packet loss... that is a VERY common problem with wireless even if you have 100% signal quality and strength (which I've never seen with a wireless ISP service).


                  Originally posted by ImAWuss
                  I have that package... Comcast? I highly doubt that you would reach that point. I havenít seen it since it came out 4 or 5 months ago. I've had 3 or 4 downloads going at 400kB+. (From different sites) The biggest restriction would be the capabilities of the connection on the other end. Cable works well as long as your neighborhood isn't overloaded. I live around a bunch of computer illiterate people that have cable to check email, and IM. So my connection is consistent. Go for it, i'll bet you'll like it.
                  He's right on this one. Just because you have a 3mbit connection, don't expect all of your downloads to be coming down at 600kbs... it's just not gonna happen. Your download speed is dependant on 3 things... your download speed ability, the server's upload speed ability, and the internet traffic congestion between you and the server.

                  IE:
                  A: Someone on a dialup will almost ALWAYS be limited by their download ability.
                  B: Someone on a OC12 will almost always be limited by the server's upload ability
                  C: You at home with a 3mbit connection are downloading something from a server with a OC12 upload ability, but you're only getting a 1.5mbit download speed (in this case you are most likely being limited by a bottleneck internet trafficing node that is currently being hit hard with traffic etc)

                  Moral of this story?
                  Get cable... you'll be happy :)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Wireless Broadband user help-UPDATE

                    Just wanted to update this thread with my results. Comcast came yesterday and installed my cable modem (motorola surfboard 5120) and two cable boxes.

                    I did a speed test before they cutoff my wireless connection and got 1300/240. After installation of cable modem it tested at 3200/240!

                    With all the specials they are running and the dish buy back I got internet and cable for $25/mo. less than I was paying for wireless and satellite, and it's faster and more reliable (so far).

                    Thanks for the help guys!
                    New to TG?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Wireless Broadband user help-UPDATE

                      Nice! You can never have too much bandwidth...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                      Comment

                      Connect

                      Collapse

                      TeamSpeak 3 Server

                      Collapse

                      Advertisement

                      Collapse

                      Twitter Feed

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X