busted headset: Help me pick a new one plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• busted headset: Help me pick a new one plz

My headset got borked after my daughter jumped out of my chair while she was playing portal. She really digs the cube. I wish I was lying. But only the cake is a lie.

I have some old 4.1 speaker sound system going now with a plug in mic. It sounds good to me but in game it will be awful for VOIP. It is nice finally playing COD4 SP with speakers.

But, I need a headset. I can put down around 125 US or so but would prefer to find a really great deal in the 75$ range.

I have a SB xfi gamer card. The sound jack is about 10 feet away.

I would prefer a simple stereo headset with great sound canceling properties. I dont really want a 5.1 headset, but I will consider it. I have listened to game sounds on one before and very much preferred a good stereo driver.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Re: busted headset: Help me pick a new one plz

Anything by Sennheiser.
    http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=cat9d1

They are a leading manufacturer in headsets. Don't fall victim to gimmicks touted by most other companies claiming to have the "ultimate gaming headset". Do a search on Amazon.com for models, reviews and generally the best prices. I wouldnt suggest paying over $100 for a headset unless you consider yourself and audiophile. Go Sennheiser and you wont be disappointed.

Comment

I personally use a Plantronics Audio750
      http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...32/prod5870018
      It may look bulky but you barely notice it's there, the ear covers are comfy, and it's durable. Dunno how many times I've accidentally dropped these babies but they still work like new. And the mic blocks out background noise and grabs your voice very well.
      sigpic

Comment

Stereo is fine. Don't bother with 5.1 in a headset. 5.1 is for real speakers.

Wireless might be a good idea. That way you can jump up and run away from the computer without tearing your ears off.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          That way you can jump up and run away from the computer without tearing your ears off.
          I don't want to admit to how many times i've done that :P
          sigpic

Comment

These would look very good on you. I bought mine used in mint condition for $90 delivered. Everything about them is excellent and getting them dialed in with the 5.1 with COD4 is incredible. Especially for S&D, you will hear EVERYTHING.

http://www.medusa-usa.com/
            http://www.geekextreme.com/content/view/10494/20/1/0/

edit..about the VOIP, once you dial down the reverb in your sound card, VOIP sounds as clear as someone sitting next to you.
            Ask WhiskeySix, I bought them from him.

Comment

I'd also recommend the Medusa headphones that jb4 mentioned.

Comment

Hmm, did you prefer the headset with a mic or without a mic?

Otherwise, Senns are pretty good. If you want active noise cancelling, you'd have to look towards Phillips, a used pair of (overpriced) Bose, Audio Technicas, etc and spend close to your limit.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

BTW, if you want to listen to the game on your 5.1 speakers and use a headset just for voice comms, consider getting a Bluetooth headset. This one is very good:

http://jawbone.com/

Expensive ($85-$120) but good quality. I saw that Best Buy now carries them in the store. Amazon has it at the low end of the price range.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I think he wants something that'll help block out background noise so he can hear what people are saying. The Jawbone doesn't offer that to the listener, only to the guy on the other end.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I figured the noise canceling request was so that the local speaker sounds wouldn't be carried to the remote listener, making it hard for one to be understood.

Comment

It may be that too. He's too vague in just saying: "...with great noise cancelling properties...". We'll have to waint until Science clears up what he's looking for exactly. lol.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                          I figured the noise canceling request was so that the local speaker sounds wouldn't be carried to the remote listener, making it hard for one to be understood.
                          I meant a few things. the above is true, I cant play with speakers because the sound from speakers is too loud for family usually.

In the end, I ended up going with a exact replacement. Altec Lansing ahs515. bout 48 bucks at the local target store.

I like them because the sound is good, the price is right (high 30s) the cord length is 10 feet, the mic sounds good to teamates and the cans are very large and cancel out ambient niose well at the same time as being comfortable for my thick head. The other thing is I did not want to cry when I run over the cord to a new pair of seinheizers with the wheels on my chair.... I pretty much expect to have to buy a cheap headset every year with the abuse it takes...

With the money I saved, I picked up a long overdue upgrade, a legit gaming mouse. the ms habu. I am very pleased with it.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

+rep for the upgrade

---->

I'm so proud
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Wow...I guess that first mouse can scroll pretty well huh?

I know you've made your choice, but try out the PC30 next time. I've gone on about this headset a few times. It's absolutely perfect, epecially for it's price. But after a while I realised...no one can be told what the PC30 is...you have to see it for yourself...

P.S. The Typhoon mouse which I bought about a month back is great value for money, and the only problem that I can see is the slight bulkiness...but that's a very small price to pay.

I'm so happy that I stayed with my cheapo values and got decent quality stuff :D Teehee.
                              Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X