Super *Small* Server Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super *Small* Server Project

Instead of Hi-Jacking the EEEPC thread I thought i'd create a new one...

Yes, i've started work on a project, some may remember "Project-13V" some may not... But i like to make mini-mods from time to time... This time its a real Mini, lol...

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/artigo

This motherboard is about the size of a deck of cards... My plans are to add 1GB of RAM and a 250GB laptop Hard Drive, and use it as my Media Server... I'll place it right on top of my Wireless Switch with a hard cable, and using remote desktop i can add all the media I want to it, without causing any Monitor issues...

When money comes around again i'll buy myself a new HD LCD TV and mount this directly to the back, and make my own DVI-HDMI Cable... I've got a lot of plans for this, but im going to go slow with it, its a cute lil PC :)
    Oyee

Re: Super *Small* Server Project

Hmm, that box looks sturdier than the other mini-ITX cases I've looked at in the past. The motherboard also looks to have a pretty nice set of features.

I was wondering why a HDD instead of a SSD?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      Hmm, that box looks sturdier than the other mini-ITX cases I've looked at in the past. The motherboard also looks to have a pretty nice set of features.

I was wondering why a HDD instead of a SSD?
      Its a Small Server, and I wanted Storage capacity... Plus Price...

I was tempted to get a SSD, but for a 32GB i was looking at $300+ (From Really Crappy to Not-so Crappy)

P.S.
      The PC should be here monday next week... I'll make a lil review of the build.
      Oyee

Comment

Hmm, it'll be interesting how that rig holds up over the next few months. If it works out good for you, I might end up doing something like that instead of another big o' box for a home server. :)

What other parts did you put in the box?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmm....will this thing run Home Server?

Comment

I'm tempted to put one through its paces for work. We're always on the lookout for something that can be mounted in the panel tat has greater computing power than most embedded devices. The price sure is right thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rich73 View Post
              Hmm....will this thing run Home Server?
              One could also get a Linksys NSLU2 and plug some USB drives into it.

That little box might make a good replacement for my aging RAID monster, currently running Fedora Core 2. I'd run CentOS 5 on the new box. C5 runs fine on my ancient P3 system with 256 MB memory and a 500 GB IDE disk. (I created that to back up my RAID monster with rsync.)
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The onboard C7 processor, from what i've read, is faster than a Pentium M at 2.0Ghz and draws only 12w. I purchased (Through newegg) a WD 250GB 2.5" IDE hard drive and a Geil 667 DDR2 SO-DIMM... With that kit above the rest of the required hard ware should be included...

I will be using an old USB WiFi adapter and hack that into the inside of the case, along with a chopped up USB Hub and Bluetooth adapter...Im sure i can fit those components into the case with a little modification. I may even cut some wholes and put plexy-glass with some LED lights... But thats in due time, for now i'll host Windows XP Pro w/ Media Center Software.

I'll post pics and update from time to time with the progress of this lil bugger.

Project Sł is born.
                Oyee

Comment

This reminds me of a project I saw a while back. This guy built a server into a UPS.

My file server at home is built inside an old 5/14" drive chassis based around a PC104 SBC. I put a serial LCD on the front and used it to read RSS feeds. It was a fun project. Your little machine just begs to have a 4 line LCD that shows free drive space.
                  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/cat...s.php?cPath=76

Definitely keep this thread updated. I love these projects. We need pictures as well :D
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                    Your little machine just begs to have a 4 line LCD that shows free drive space.
                    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/cat...s.php?cPath=76
                    Gosh, I remember seeing those things back when and I always thought it'd be nice to see it in color instead of monochrome. :)

We definitely need to see pictures. We will admire and adore you (your server more likely ;)) if you shared those pretty baby pictures of it. :D
                    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

How about displaying a treemap, such as WinDirStat does?

http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treemap
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I just now got tracking numbers for the parts... Dont worry, i'll put pics up once i get it in.

I was thinking about adding GPS with it also, so that I can hook it up to my Trucks stereo and mod a screen somewhere on my dash... THA'D be SWEeeeEeet.
                        Oyee

Comment

Bling, bling for your car dashboard. ;)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            Bling, bling for your car dashboard. ;)
                            Here's a Minor list of my future Project Log:

I'll be modding in a 4 port Switch (5, but one's removed for my mini server, so it'll be easily networkable)
                            I'll add a 4 port USB Hub internal, 1 Wifi A/B/G, 1 Bluetooth 2.0, 1 GPS, 1 32GB Solidstate (OS installed/Apps)
                            I'll interface an OBDII with a USB interface for my truck, which will allow me to monitor my truck info.
                            I'll hook up via an external audio device (Xfi?) to my trucks speaker sys (Alpine deck/Speakers+Subs/400w AMP) *Its an 08' Ranger, too small for anything larger*
                            I'll skim through eBay for a tiny LCD screen, appx 5" and VGA/DVI comp... I may even go with a USB Touch screen, to remove the hastle of a keyboard/mouse in the truck.

What happened to the server you ask? Well, since this thing will be highly mobile, i'll be able to detach it from my truck (Under driver seat most likely) and bring it into my house, and use it as my switch/internet connection (Hence the switch mod, it'll auto be connected to my LAN).

I had some other idea's, but i'll save those for when i figure out how much all this is going to cost me :\

PS RAM and Hard Drive came in, im currently copying all my music onto my Hard Drive, once the 32GB USB thumbdrive (Solidstate Knock-off) comes in i'll install a bootable OS on it (Probably XP Pro w/ SP3!)

Still nothing on the KIT though :( Its somewhere in ohio?
                            Oyee

Comment

Hmm...that's some nice bling bling. :D

Any extra security measures to ensure that this stuff doesn't get stolen from your truck when you're not in it (especially the server box)?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X