Anyone help me with Memory latency?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone help me with Memory latency?

What is it all about? Does certain memory have certain latency, or can you change the latency of any memory? How would you go about doing that?

And on the same note... Is name-brand memory better? Why? What advantages does it have? I've heard that it is sometimes faster and almost always more stable. Is that true?

I'm in the first stages of building my first PC from scratch and am trying to get all the facts so that I do it right. I'm a newbie here and have some knowledge, but in some areas I'm pitifully ignorant.
    Thanks for you help.
    It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

Re: Anyone help me with Memory latency?

depends on what you are really looking to do with it. overclocking? go for the high end stuff. building an email/ web surfing box, get the cheapest that is compatible. latency is the "cas" number you see. less is better. most DDR is 2.5 or 3, but the good stuff is 2...... if you get like pc3700 that is cas 2.5, you can drop that cas timing in most bios'es to a stable cas 2 @ PC3200 (200 fsb) or PC2700 (166 fsb). (in most cases... not a rule, just a guideline) you will also see other numbers like 3-3-6 or 4-4-7. these are other timings as well, and all are rather technical to explain. performance differences are negligible in most cases, but suffice it to say, lower is better on all those timings.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
      you will also see other numbers like 3-3-6 or 4-4-7. these are other timings as well, and all are rather technical to explain.
      Know of any good websites that explain these timings? I've never bothered to figure out what they mean as I've never been interested in overclocking...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hmmm, thanks, DdogG.
        I'm not interested in overclocking yet. I just want to get a fast yet stable system up and running. I just keep reading things about memory and have been getting mixed info about it.

So, are brands like Crucial and Corsair and OCZ better than the generic stuff? If so, why?

Comment

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.ph...d=377&Itemid=0

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/1-p1.php

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/

;)
          From Adam Webb

Comment

ooooooh. Looks like I got some reading to do. Thanks, Overlag.

Comment

In my experience, and as you'll read over reviews and such - RAM timing doesn't make that big of a deal as it used to. You don't need to spend an extra $100 for lower timing memory because you will see MAYBE at best, a 2-3% performance increase. Though your milage may vary, I'm talking about gaming.
              Though much is taken, much abides; and though
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
              One equal temper of heroic hearts,
              Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
              To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

any increase is an increase
                From Adam Webb

Comment

I think his point is that a 100 dollar investment might be better utilitized elsewhere for much bigger performance gain.

i.e. 1 256 ultra low latency stick or 1 gig of normal stuff

1 512 ultra low latency stick or 512 of the normal stuff and a faster proc/ better video card
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I found that if you are trying to overclock your machine, pay attention to memory latency. The problem is, the results vary and it's hard to guarantee that spending the extra $$ is going to get you the extra speed.

If you're not planning to OC, then I wouldn't worry about them too much.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...