No announcement yet.

Just ordered parts for a new computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered parts for a new computer.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. Motherboard

EVGA GeForce 8800GT

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

Acer 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate

Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker

ULTRA 750W SLI Power Supply

ASUS 20X SATA DVD Burner

Western Digital Raptor 36GB

Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Western Digital Raptor 74GB Serial

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

INTEL E8400 3.00 GHz 1333 MHz 6MB Processor

I believe that was all I ordered but might have forgot something. I was going to wait for the Q9450 quad core then changed my mind, had also considered the E8500 but got tired of waiting for the release date and thought that the difference in pricing from the E8400 and the E8500 was not justified for the .16Mhz difference in speed. If that concerned about speed I will overclock but I doubt it. Speakers were outrageous but promised the wife so she can clean, bebop, and tick the neighbors off a little when they get on my nerves. So, maybe in about a week I will have everything put together and running a lot better than what I have now. Computer I am on now is 5 years old and definitely time for something newer. At least I should be able to play CoD4 now, old computer was 200Mhz to slow. I already have a G7 mouse and did not see any reason to buy another new mouse YET. I figure this should get me through for a year or 2 before needing to do any major upgrades.
    I did not plan on running RAID0 or anything like that, I have read and seen first hand that it really doesn't help if running like I plan to. Vista on one hard drive(36Gb) and games on the second(74Gb), the 500Gb is for storage only. Also, got Vista 64 bit cause I had read so many articles stating Vista 64 bit has better drivers and usually runs better than Vista 32 bit, guess I will find out and if not then I will go back to XP Pro. I did check driver availability before ordering anything to make sure it was supported by Vista 64 bit.
    I oredered the sound card cause so many claim the difference in performance while gaming if using a sound card. I have not tried in many years and used onboard sound so I am giving it a try. I know I have heard so many put down Creative for driver issues but am hoping they have better drivers that work on the 64 bit Vista.
    I was already concidering on adding a better cooler to the video card and also get a better CPU heatsink fan. I know the stock fans usually aren't good enough.

Anyway, look like a decent build?

Re: Just ordered parts for a new computer.

Solid build. Like you said, a cpu cooler like the tuniq tower or one of the thermalrights and a gpu cooler like the zalman VF1000 would complement your PC and keep the important components cool.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies,
    as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

-Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

Comment

Oh, I had also bought the PS3 80Gb the other day as well. Wife was wanting it plus I thought it was good to have around if I want to punish the kids, lol. That should get them to listen to me a little better for while till it gets old with them.

Comment

Happy for ya man!!
        You are going to be drooling once you get it all up and running.
        I would go now and order the CPU cooler and thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5.
        (or try this new stuff that review sites are saying is better than AS5:
        Called OCZ Freeze
        http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/126...ial/index.html
        Even if you have to put rush shipping on it, cause it is a PAIN to switch out coolers once you have everything already together. So much easier if you can just put the cpu and cooler on, then drop it in the case. A lot of good after market coolers will require a backplate on, which would require you to completely take your rig apart to put one in later, not to mention the 2-3 day burn in time for it to seat properly.
        Thermalright 120 Extreme would be perfect in that case and keep your CPU chilly cool.
        http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=2981&p=1
        It really is the best air cooler out without being too huge, just check the charts on page 3 of that article (sorry, it seems to load the page really slow right now.)
        And good choice on the Vista 64. Any bugs pop up you can usually answer with a quick google or ask here.
        Good ideas on the hard drives, but might be overkill and expensive. The 74 gig has actually shown to be faster than the 36 gig, but it may pay off for you if you can keep the bare minimum for Vista on the 36 gig.
        People are going nuts over that 8400 cpu, and the price at Newegg shows it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

my question is:

why 2 different kinds of rappy's..?

you cannot raid them and you have the 500 for storage and stuff, so i am confused..

Comment

Ok, I am running 2 hard drives on my computer now. The way I have it set up is XP on the first HDD and games on the second HDD. I am hoping to use DiskTrix UltimateDefrag on the new computer cause I use it on this system now. I set the program when it defrags the first HDD for most recent accessed data on the most outer part of the HDD(the fastest location), the second HDD I have set up for the game I play the most(PR) to have the files most accessed by PR put on the outer most part of the HDD. Running this set up I load maps pretty fast for my old computer. Most peopel that have newer faster computers are only beating into a games by mere seconds, I am hoping to do the same type of deal with the new computer and faster HDD's, faster CPU, and faster GPU should definitely help me get into games pretty fast and run smoother... or that is the plan anyway(I will find out). Most people that do have the same HDD's and run RAID0 claim minimal gains when loading compared to not running RAID0 at all. My friend has a computer that has a RAID) setup with 2-74Gb Raptors and he just barely beats me into the game, I talked him into the using DisKTrix and he claimed it really helped him out and he is not using RAID0 anymore, said it was a joke.
            So, I am hoping it all works out, if not then I guess I will be getting rid of the 36Gb Raptor and getting another 74Gb. More of an experiment than anything.

Comment

If you do sell it, they pretty much sell for the same price as new on E-bay, so might do it there. Before I found the really good deal on my 74, I considered one from E-bay, but there wasn't any price difference between someones used one and a new one on sell.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ok, I thought I would update this and let anybody interested know I have everything together and working. So far all is going good. I have installed all my saved data I wanted to keep and played CoD4 and I will say it plays flawlessly with the graphics set pretty high. Not maxed out but close. I installed Oblivion also just so I could see the difference in how it played and looked, I was awed by what I seen and how it played.
                Setting things up took me a little while cause I have never fooled with SATA HD's before but I finally got them all worked out and running right. Upset a little over my 22" monitor cause it has one dead pixel but it is nothing major, I did try to get it RMA'ed though but was told industry standards to get a monitor RMA'ed was 8 dead pixels. As I said it is nothing major and unless I really look I can not notice it to much when playing.
                The Logitech Z-5500 speakers are not as loud as I hoped for but still load. They are really clear, even at full volume and I guess that is more important than loudness.
                Vista Ultimate 64 bit is taking some time to get use to but still learning it. Plays my games well and have no real issues with it YET. As of right now I am glad I got it, I see no real slow down with it and playing, guess my theory may have been right....Having the proper hardware and of course the RAM to run Vista and play games with no problems seems to be correct. All the hardware I have is Vista supported.
                I did some temperature testing and at idle I am about 30-31*C and under load while playing for about 2 hours straight in CoD4 settings turned up almost all the way at I think 1680x1050 the temps got to 48*C but then went down to 46*C and stayed there. Not sure if that is good? I did get an aftermarket cooler, Masscool cheapy for about $15.
                I plan on installing BF2 and PR later tonight to see how it will play but have a question someone might be able to help me with. I have a widescreen monitor and was wondering if the game will be distorted or is there a way of adjusting the screen or game to compensate for that?

Comment

I actually helped one of my squad mates out last night with this and he is really happy now.
                  Once you install, go to your EAGAMES/Battlefield 2/ Mods/ pr/ movies file.
                  There you will see like 4 movies. Like "menu.bik"
                  Rename each one of those movies keeping the name the same, but by adding an "e" to the end so it will read "menu.bike". You can use any letter you want, but the guide I read used e, so I did too. And it is easy to remember if you ever want to take it off later.
                  That will let your game start up with out any movies, so much quicker.
                  Next, you will need to edit your shortcut for PR so that it will let you play at 1680x1050. You have to do this to your shortcut since DICE and EA are to stupid to believe that anyone would actually have a widescreen monitor.

Right click on your PR icon and go to properties.

You are going to want it to look like this in the "target" space:
                  "F:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050 +playerName ******** +playerPassword ********

Just copy and paste, but might need to change the location from F: drive to C: drive or whatever else.

In the place of the *********** put your username and password, making sure to leave any spaces that are there, like between playerName and **************
                  You have to do it exactly as it should, as it is case sensitive.

Once you do that above and hit OK, it will open your game at that rez, and also auto log you in so that you will quickly just go to the selection screen for playing.
                  In the options menu, you will see that the rez will still show the default, but don't try to change it, it was set right by your shortcut. You can adjust the settings like HIGH and MED. now though. Lots of people have bugs with a memory thing, and will crash to desktop after 2 map loads. I did a ton of searching before I found out why it was happening to me, and a lot of other people. You can set everything to high, but have to set lighting quality to medimum. Supposed to happen to a lot of vista people, and besides, Tweakguides.com shows shots comparing High and Med., and you can't really tell much of a difference.

Anyway, by squadmate changed his last night and was really happy. He also had a 22" and had been playing at some weird standard rez since he bought it.

Also, some people have to rightclick on both the PR and BF2 icon and select "run as Administrator". I don't think I had a problem with it, but did it any way.
                  And another also that might help is to right click on both PR and BF2 icon and under the Compatibility tab, check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows XP service pack 2

Report back an let us know if everything goes well.

As far as your new rig, the temps sound really good for such a cheap CPU cooler. If you get around to getting a better one later no big rush. Pretty soon once you start reading more about how easy it is to overclock and get a 25% boost without even worrying about hurting your computer, you can upgrade for like $50 or so. :)

About the new monitor, what brand did you say it was? I know a bunch of companies like Samsung have a zero dead pixel policy, and will replace it if even one is bad. Also a lot of retail stores will do it, but for one that doesn't bother you might not be worth the sending it back hassle.
                  There are some guides online on how to get a dead pixel working again, including one that is just an online weird thing that throws colors up on your screen that is supposed to work for some. Might want to look into that.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

It is an Acer monitor and I tried the massaging tricks and other stuff as well to try to get the dead pixel working again. I am installing everything right now so will do as you said for the shortcut. Newegg actually told me that if the dead pixel is really bothering me while gaming then they will RMA it. I am not sure if 1 dead pixel is worth the headache though...and the loss of not having a monitor like this for a week or longer, lol.
                    Also, as of right now I do wishI would have bought another 74Gb Raptor instead of the 34Gb, the program I was hoping to defrag my HDD's with only worked once....maybe I will try the "Run as Administrator" and see if that works.

Comment

Which acer is it?
                      I am on the AL2223W.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yep that is it.
                        Anyway, i just tried playing PR and I crashed after a couple of minutes. Any ideas?
                        Is it dynamic Lighting or just regular lighting I am to set to medium?
                        I did dynamic lighting, I am not even sure if there is a regular lighting but will check one more time.

EDIT:
                        I set the lighting to medium and played for a while, not sure how long but I did end up crashing again. I would estimate I played for about 2 hours, maybe a tad longer.
                        Last edited by msdz; 02-04-2008, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Were there any error messages? Did it crash in the middle of the round or when it was loading? Are you sure it wasn't a server crash? You know how TG server is.
                          How did it crash. Just strait to desktop?

I actually have a CTD every once in a while, and I know other people do to. It is just one of the the joys of BF2 :(

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

This really is a problem we need to fix :)

Comment

It was just a regular CTD, no error messages.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X