All in one printer sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in one printer sharing

I understand how to share the device over the network. I can even make the macs see the one attached to a PC. What I can't seem to find the solution to is how you can use the scanner portion of the copier without it attached to the PC itself, rather than the network.

Any ideas? I'm talking about one of the HP All-In-one series that use USB as their primary connection. I'd like to use all the functions across the network.

Re: All in one printer sharing

I have not tried it, but here is some discussion from the HP forums on the issue. You may be able to find a similar thread specific to your model to see if you have the option. Looks like you may have to load the software package on each computer. I will be curious to know if you got it figured out.
    http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1085477

Comment

Alas, Windows scanner software tends to be GUI-centric, and TWAIN was designed with the notion that one uses the scanner attached to the system on which the UI is operated. You might look at the SANE project as an alternative. SANE is designed to be client-server, with the UI on one host and the scanner and its driver on another.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

HP makes a decent printer, but I have always had issues with their drivers so I tend to steer clear of them.

Comment

Well, it appears there's no way to do this without buying some hardware, but HP does offer a wireless kit that does indeed support scanning over the network. About $100 retail.

Comment

What kit is that? I've got an Epson scanner on my desk that the boss likes to use, and I'd love to simply share it over the network instead of having to give up my keyboard when he needs to copy something.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/pro...e3/landing_PDP
              Item #:(Q6236A#A2L)

It's about $100. I can get it through my employer discount for ~65. Check with yours to see, they may also have a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by rich73 View Post
                I understand how to share the device over the network. I can even make the macs see the one attached to a PC. What I can't seem to find the solution to is how you can use the scanner portion of the copier without it attached to the PC itself, rather than the network.

Any ideas? I'm talking about one of the HP All-In-one series that use USB as their primary connection. I'd like to use all the functions across the network.
                I worked for HP for nearly 5 years in their peripherals support department, and that included the AIO units. Its more or less dependant on what model and how much you paid for the device.

Basically, if you bought one of the home based el-cheapos, you won't be able to scan over the network in any reliable fashion. There were hacks that could make it work, but its not (or at least wasn't) supported by HP. The scan over the network feature is something that was only supported in the full business units, that generally started at around $800.
                I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Right, but with the setup mentioned in the post just above yours, you are supposed to be able to do that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X