Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc problem

hey i need a lil help

i recently went to turn my computer on when an arc of static electricity flew from my finger towards the power button. the power came on but the computer did nothing.
    it still will just turn on all the fans will run, the mouse lights up, but the keybord doesnt light up and the monitor sits there like its not getting a signal.

i'm thinking i might need to replace my motherboard.
    any ideas?

Re: pc problem

Ouch.
    Have you tried googling for an answer?
    I would do that 1st, and you will probably find a lot of info.
    Probably going to need to strip your computer down to the basics, like take out all your cards, and all but 1 stick of memory, etc., and see if you can get your BIOS to show up.
    Do you know how to reset your COMOS.
    Is it a store bought computer or one you built yourself?
    Do you have a disk with your motherboard drivers on it?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I built it myself
      right now i cant get any kind of boot up at all
      just fans running and the mouse lights up

no i don't know how to reset COMOS
      i do have the disks for the mobo

Comment

read the MB manual for how to resent the CMOS...it usually involves taking out the little silver battery and moving a switch or two in sequence for a few seconds...each MB has a different method...

But...I'd bet your in deeper than that. Hope that's not the case. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Sorry about the mis-spell on the CMOS, thanks Grunt.
          And don't rush the reset. It says to leave it in the switched position for a couple mins., but leave it that way for 30+ mins. or even overnight.
          I had a bad BIOS flash a couple of months ago, and kept trying to reset my CMOS, switching like the directions said for a few mins. Then I read in the ASUS forum about leaving it longer, and left it over night. Next morning I was able to get it back up with the CD in the drive and as many extras disconnected as I could.
          At least you know with the fans running you might be able to get something done, instead of it being completely dead.

Check this:
          http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=34502

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Could you list the parts you have inside your system? Sometimes the problem may lie in not-so-compatible hardware coupled with each other.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i tried clearing cmos and no change
              I think I'm just going to replace my mobo and psu

here is a list of the parts but i built it back in 05
              then upgraded the cpu, rm vidiocard last spring
              so i don't think its any compatability thing is worked fin for a long time till i zapped the on switch with a static electricity shock

CASE ASPIRE|ATXB3KL-BK/420
              CASE ACCES|ASPIRE FAN GRILL 80MM
              ASUS MOBO 939 NF4ULTRA A8N-E
              POWER SP|420W(P4)W0009R TT
              HD 80GB|MAXTOR 6Y080M0 SATA
              DVD+/-RW 16x|NEC ND-3520A BK W/O SW
              CD MS|WIN XP PRO w/SP2
              MEM 1Gx2|KST D400 KHX3200AK2/2G
              CPU AMD|OPT 180 2.4G 939 2x1M 90N
              ati radeon 1650 512mb pci 16

Comment

Before you go spending the cash I think you should strip everything down to basic necessities needed for a post. 1 stick of ram, disconnect the dvd and all other unnecessary peripherals...it just might be a borked stick of ram or something...Go to the Asus forums...they'll have one just for the A8N series I'm sure, and look through the many pages and to see if there are any other cases like yours to see how they were resolved....or...you could just take the plunge too...
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

i wouldnt call the mobo dead yet.

1) i would just unplug the computer for 10 seconds, i have seen bad voltage before and only removing the power plug for a bit solved the problem , you gotta know that your pc still powered even when it's stopped and electricity still circulate in it , this can reset some lower component parts
                  2) Is the light on your mobo on ? this can indicate whatever she is powered normally. Does you mobo emit any sounds at the startup if it does then you could have a visual problem.
                  3) unplug everything except the processor (you can remove it if you want but start with the rest of the hardware ), and boot it up , even remove the ram, if it doesnt make any noice,this isn't a good sign
                  4) try reseting the bios read below if you dont know how
                  5) try with another powersupply , if you can , sometime a faulty powersupply could give out a bad voltage and make the mobo refusing to boot

Reseting the bios :
                  To reset the bios there is a real easy way to do it, remove the battery , the one that look like a watch battery , also remove powercord for at least 10 second. Then put the battery back and boot the computer your bios will be reseted.

Comment

I would get a spare PSU that you know works and swap it in.

Next thing I would check upon powering up your system is to see if the HDD (hard disk drive) led activity light lights up or not. If it doesn't then, it could mean one of your hardware parts is not working (mobo, CPU, HDD).

If the light stays on and solid but nothing comes up on the screen, it's usually a memory issue.

If it POST's (Power On Self Test), meaning text appears on the screen, but you get a HDD error or "hard disk 0 not found", it means your hard drive is no longer working (try unplugging and replugging the IDE ribbon cable on the back of the HDD).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i've tried pretty much verything yall've mentioned
                      i have a light on the mobo (lil green light below the pci slots) but no light comes on for the hdd, there are no beeps from the mobo and i do have the lil speaker
                      every fan comes on, (mobo fan, vidiocard fan, processor fan, powersupply fans, and case fans) but absoulutly nothing will show up on the monitor the monitor sits there like in sleep mode

Comment

are foxconn mobos any good
                        there isn't much left to choose from for 939

Comment

Lots of people don't like foxconn, at least in the tech forums I cruise.
                          Yeah, 939 is pretty much dead in the water.
                          Might not be a good idea to buy a new 939 motherboard, and then it turn out to be the CPU that needed changing.
                          Interesting you say no light for the hdd. Can you feel the hdd running (put your hand on it or take it out of the case and carefully hold it.)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

i cant feel anything from the hdd
                            but if it was the hdd the computer should still do something with it unplugged

a 939 mobo right now is 50 bucks
                            if i go with another then it'll be around a hundred for the mobo and i'll need new ram and a processor

i'm thinking if my mobo was still good i would at least see something at the monitor
                            if it was my vidio card my hdd would be going
                            if it was the psu i wouldnt be seeing everything power up (cept the drives)
                            if it was my monitor the hdd should be going
                            if it was ram i should get beeps

i think its the mobo and i hope the proccesor is still ok

Comment

right now the only 939 mobo's on newegg are foxconn
                              jetway or elitegroup

tiger direct has a mach speed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...