How To Overclock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Overclock

Can anybody give me detailed steps on how to overclock your computer. :)

Re: How To Overclock

It depends on your platform (Intel or AMD), your motherboard's brand and capibilities, your BIOS's features, and your hardware itself.

For intel, the short answer is "push the FSB up, underclock your ram to push more CPU if you're running Source games, stop and take two steps back when it won't go any further without errors."

Comment

The most comprehensive site on the net:

http://www.ocforums.com/

Comment

Is this for your computer you posted about in the other thread?
        If so, hate to say it, but you might not be able to overclock, since store bought computers usually won't let you so you cant mess things up and blame them.
        My Gateway had absolutely no OC options, and I have heard Dell doesn't either.
        I am actually just starting to overclock my new rig, and easiest thing to do is go into the BIOS and and push the FSB up, in my case I went from 266 defalt to 333, which gives my 6600quad a speed of about 3.0. All I have tried so far, but everything is running perfect.
        You do have to have good cooling/ air flow.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just make sure you buy better cooling solutions for your CPU and GPU if you plan on overclocking them. Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a lot of crashes and artifacting due to the heat, especially in BF2.
          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Measure everything.

OC is worthless if you don't know what benefit you're getting. Run speed tests before and after. Measure FPS in your favorite games. Measure the speed of the apps you use regularly (eg. spreadsheets or graphics editors). Run common benchmarks.

I don't consider a speed improvement important unless it's at least 2x, and I haven't seen the work of OC give the benefit that would pay me back for the time it takes to tweak a setting, reboot, and re-measure. So I just go with the stock clocking.

In fact, my current CPU (939 Venice 3000+) has to have the memory part underclocked to keep it stable, because that generation of CPU had a sucky memory controller.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The Core 2 Duo's are pretty good at overclocks. That is worth it along with pushing DDR2 memory to higher limits. Both pieces of hardware are quite good at overclocking. GPU's are bit more tedious and tricker. Sometimes a video card overclock will be unstable due to artifacts and you have to watch for them. If a CPU overlock is too much, then it just freezes or gives you bad data (which can be measured). A GPU takes more effort and I find the results to be not as beneficial.

Be prepared to do a lot of reading. If you don't want to google how to overlock or troll forums for techniques, then overlocking is not for you. It's a lot of work and is just a bunch of testing. You need a scientific type of attitude to overlocking. It's all about controlling settings and changing settings until you know which parts are at their limits.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Was there any reason in particular why you stated that you can't build your own computer in the other thread? If you think putting together your own computer is too complicated, then you probably shouldn't even be thinking about overclocking.

Comment

He actually has like 3-4 threads running right now about pretty similar subjects in different parts of this site. Don't think he knows what he wants, and since he didn't know he couldn't put an AMD chip in an Intel socket, he should really leave the overclocking off his list for a while.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    He actually has like 3-4 threads running right now about pretty similar subjects in different parts of this site. Don't think he knows what he wants, and since he didn't know he couldn't put an AMD chip in an Intel socket, he should really leave the overclocking off his list for a while.
                    +1

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      For your information why dont you read before you say anything i did know an intel mb can run with a amd chip cause the intel mb is socket 775 and i would need a am2 socket motherboard. And i do know what I want

Comment

anyway here a paste of something i posted in the past for the core duo

unfortunatly i can't post a link yet so replace those xx with tt and it will work out
                        or yyy by www

step 1
                        what is your motherboard creator
                        if your mobo is intel : go to bed
                        asus, abit your in for the ride
                        gigabyte should be doable
                        other unknow

step 2
                        what is your processor and stepping
                        hxxp://yyy.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

step 3
                        what is your ram speed

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

Bus clock is the info we are looking for

step 4
                        get your normal temperature setting
                        there is only one celcuis value out there
                        hxxp://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

step 6
                        get your multipliyer maximum

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors

class 101
                        in a processor there are 2 type of heat source , 1 come from inside the core the other from the processor itself

the maximum for the core are
                        Max = 100c (B3, G0, L2, M0 Stepping)
                        Max = 85c (B2 Stepping)

for a core duo temperature reading should be as follow
                        to check your processor temperature you can use
                        tat
                        hxxp://yyy.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche30993-intel-thermal-analysis-tool-tat.html
                        or
                        hxxp://yyy.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

normal processor temperature
                        processor / core1--core2
                        -70-/-85--85- Shutdown
                        -65-/-80--80- Throttle
                        -60-/-75--75- Hot
                        -55-/-70--70- Warm
                        -50-/-65--65- TAT
                        -45-/-60--60- Game
                        -40-/-55--55- Apps
                        -35-/-50--50- Web
                        -30-/-45--45- Idle

TO READ PLEASE

FSB
                        For Intel Core 2 Duo’s typically you overclock by simply raising the FSB (front side buss). This speed is set at 266Mhz for the E6xxx-X6800. The FSB is set at 200Mhz for the e4xxx series. Raising the FSB is the only way to overclock your Core 2 Duo, unless it is an engineer sample chip or an X6800+ (Both of these have unlocked multipliers.)

Multiplier
                        To overclock your Intel Core 2 Duo by using the multiplier, you simply change that number to a higher number than its stock multiplier. For example an engineer sample chip E6300 has a multiplier of 7x, but you can change it to a higher value, say 9x. If you leave the FSB at 266, then 9x266 = 2400Mhz = 2.4Ghz.

PCI-E
                        When you overclock your CPU by raising the FSB, you not only overclock the CPU, but you also overclock your PCI-E. On most motherboards you can lock your PCI-E to 100Mhz (recommended).

RAM
                        By overclocking your CPU by upping the FSB, you also cause your RAM to be overclocked. But is that a bad thing? Yes and no. For cheap value RAM you can not overclock your RAM much at all. You would be lucky with 50-100Mhz. By simply changing your RAM/CPU divider you can adjust your RAM speed also. Typically a good stable overclock consists of the RAM and the CPU running at a 1:1 ratio. For example if your CPU’s FSB speed set to 400Mhz and your in a 1:1 ratio, then your RAM will show up as running at 400Mhz in the BIOS. Because it is DDR2 the RAM is actually running at 800Mhz effective, which is PC6400 stock speeds.

Socket 775 Motherboards usually support different types of DDR2 Memory. Motherboards natively support 533Mhz DDR2 all the way up to 800Mhz DDR2. It is possibly to run faster memory like DDR2-1000 and even higher like 1200Mhz, but this is only possibly by changing the CPU/RAM divider or overclocking the CPU via FSB.

When looking at RAM, and the speed of the RAM there are two things to take into account. What is the rated speed of the RAM? DDR2 memory typically ranges from 533Mhz to upwards of 1200Mhz. The memory frequency is not the only thing to look at when comparing the speed of RAM. The timings or latencies are also important.

Most value RAM has very “loose” latencies. 5-5-5-15 is quite common for value RAM. Mid end RAM is usually somewhere around 4-4-4-12. Mid-High end RAM has timings like 4-4-3-5 or 4-4-3-8. High end RAM will have low latencies like 3-4-3-9. The most important number is the first number. The lower the first digit the faster the memory.

By default, most motherboards will set the RAM timings to 5-5-5-15, so it is necessary to go into the BIOS and change these timings to the timings recommended by the manufacturer.

Loosening up your RAM timings will allow for a higher overclock. For example if your memory is rated at 4-4-4-12 and is PC6400 and runs at 800Mhz, then “loosening” the timings to 5-5-5-15, might allow for an overclock of upwards of 900Mhz. While at the stock 4-4-4-12, 850Mhz was achievable.

On some motherboards, like my Gigabyte DS3P, all the memory latencies and voltages are locked by default. To view these advanced settings in your BIOS, I pressed Ctrol+F1. This unlocked a hidden menu with advanced features.

CALCULATE 101
                        the speed of your processor is a multiplication of your multiplier versus your fsb

for a E6400 it's 8 X 233 = 2.13

overcloacking , my story

first thing you want to test is your ram , your overcloaking will depend how much fsb your ram can andle
                        at step 3 i asked your bus ram speed this is the limit you can reach with your fsb
                        for exemple i have pc2-6400.
                        we will start with ram first
                        I setted my mutiplier to 6 and my fsb to 400 so i don't over cloack my cpu too much cause that's not what i want to try first
                        then i ran a memtest
                        (you can get memory test program for the link below)
                        hxxp://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
                        i found out some errors so I lowered my ram speed to 333 and had no errors so i raised it up back to 366 with no errors,
                        you can tweak your ram speed to force it at the designed speed but i recommand not to you won't gain that much performance from it.
                        I kept all the power setting to automated.
                        now it was time for the processor i putted a multiplier of 8 witch give me a 2.92 with a E6400 6.13

I went back in windows and ran tat and im right on the 65--65 for the core temperature
                        my guess is 800-850 mhz over the limit is nothing something you want to cross unless you want to invest in some better cooling system.
                        I read from many article that with a conventionnal cooling system you can get around 3.20 with a 6400 with no problem, but i prefer to
                        bet a tat under the limit.

Well that's the end of my story

reference
                        hxxp://yyy.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Comment

one of my friend posted :

Others interreting facts :

* By increasing voltage, you can achieve higher clock speed but pieces will get hotter.
                          * Sometimes pieces can have like "roading" effect like cars. I mean that if you can't archieve 3.2 GHz, but you cpu is stable at 3.0 GHz. Keep it at 3.0 GHz for a while (like 2 weeks), there is chances that you will be able to reach 3.2 GHz.
                          * Before overclocking, you need good computer pieces, look at the quality of condasator on your motherboard for example.
                          * Some cpus will run cooler at higher speed than the stock speed.
                          * The more phases (voltages filters) you have on your mother, the higher the stability will be.
                          * By changing your PSU for a better one, you can reach higher speed at same voltage compared to a cheap one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X