Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know a good free forums engine for my website?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know a good free forums engine for my website?

I was wondering if anyone knew a good engine I could use for my website. I love the look of vBulletin but I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for a license. Are there any cheap or free ones out there that dont have a ton of ads?

Thanks in advance!
    Slurm_Cola

Re: Know a good free forums engine for my website?

Take a look at phpbb. It works great with a number of different database back ends. It also works great on either Linux or Windows. Easy to setup and use.

Comment

PhpBB is popular free forum software. It also gets a lot of attention from hackers too. So, keep up with updates when using phpBB.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Agree with Sarc. Whatever you do, subscribe to the announcements mailing list so you get notified fast of any security issues and can patch your site. A lot of forums get vandalized on a regular basis because known flaws weren't patched and script kiddies take over.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Slurm_Cola View Post
          I was wondering if anyone knew a good engine I could use for my website. I love the look of vBulletin but I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for a license. Are there any cheap or free ones out there that dont have a ton of ads?

Thanks in advance!
          Slurm_Cola
          Who's your host? Many hosts offer open-source apps as one-click installs. (Godaddy for example uses... Simple Machines Forum and Vanilla Forum? Something like that, at least.)
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I don't suggest those "one-click" installers. A lot of times the installers are out of date and don't keep up with the updates to the forum software, so when installing, sometimes your forum becomes inaccessible to you because the script failed to properly write the config file.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would back Pokerface on this one and recommend SMF.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                Who's your host? Many hosts offer open-source apps as one-click installs. (Godaddy for example uses... Simple Machines Forum and Vanilla Forum? Something like that, at least.)

http://www.u2-web.com/

I am quite pleased with this host. The price is reasonable and the customer service is fabulous. It wouldnt surprise me if they had a forums engine I could use I guess I just didnt think to look. *bonks self on the head*

Update* I think I found something... Can this be done with phpMyAdmin? or is that something totally different?
                Last edited by Slurm_Cola; 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slurm_Cola View Post
                  http://www.u2-web.com/

I am quite pleased with this host. The price is reasonable and the customer service is fabulous. It wouldnt surprise me if they had a forums engine I could use I guess I just didnt think to look. *bonks self on the head*

Update* I think I found something... Can this be done with phpMyAdmin? or is that something totally different?
                  WAY different. PMA is to adminster your MySQL databases.
                  [volun2]
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

Okay, sorry to sound so retarded about all this. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of web design. I appreciate all the help thus far. So phpBB is pretty decent then?

Comment

Decent, yes, but it's a security nightmare waiting to happen.
                      [volun2]

Comment

Slurm, we use http://www.phpbb.com/ on our Obsidian Edge Mod forums.
                        http://www.obsidianedge.net/forum/index.php
                        It is decent, not real sure about the security part though. I don't think it has some of the cool features like the quick reply box, and other minor things, but works well.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks Bamboo. I like the look of those forums. It's pretty much what I'm going for.

Comment

I will check with our web guy Soroc (he is also a Dev Team Lead), and see if there is anything he can pass on.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

What about going with a full "content management" (CMS) package? I've heard good things about Drupal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drupal

While PMA has nothing to do with forum software, it's a good tool for managing the MySQL DB that often contains the forum data. My team uses Woltlab's Burning Board and I sometimes use PMA to find or fix stuff I can't do with the board software's administrative screens. (Not that it can't be done, just that the software is quite complex and finding the right screen can be painful.)
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X