-Intel Tentium D CPU (3.00 GHz)
    -MSI 945P Neo3 Motherboard
    -1 GB of RAM
    -Diamond X1600 PRO 256MB PCI-E
    -HP DVD Writer 840x
    -Use motherboard sound capability
    -Windows XP Home Edition
    -Xerox 17" Flat Screen Monitor

I have been thinking about adding additional memory and upgrading from XP to Vista.

Thinking I want to spend around $500 max for any upgrades.

Any comments / suggestions?

Re: Thinking of upgrading my computer....

Ram is generally a good buy, though over 3GB is generally unjustified. Wait, you used "upgrade" with "XP to Vista." You've got something backwards in your thinker.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
      Ram is generally a good buy, though over 3GB is generally unjustified.
      STOP SAYING THAT!

You really need to find out what someone does with their computer before simply saying that going over 3GB is "generally unjustified".

If I based all my judgments on what others should do on what *I* do with my computer I would be saying that you can't get away with anything less than 4GB.

:)

So, Wolfie..

What are you doing with your machine these days? And if you upgrade, are there any new things you'd want to start doing? I know there are a lot of naysayers out there when it comes to the value of quad core processors, but considering I'm using TVersity now to transcode my DVD collection for viewing upstairs on the PS3, those extra cores have come in handy once again.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

If I know what someone does with his computer, then I'm in the context of Specifically, not Generally. If he's on a 32-bit OS, he can't touch the last 256MB in the best case scenario.

Comment

An upgrade to 2GB of RAM is probably a good choice. The XP to Vista upgrade isn't really necessary. There isn't anything worthwhile in switching to a newer OS unless you want to go 64-bit. If you can squeeze in a video card upgrade, that should be worth it too. It shouldn't be hard since RAM will probably run you $50.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Sorry,

Mostly gaming with my computer. I don't do any video editing or watching movies or home entertainment setup.

Right now, I have Crysis which I have to run at low settings. I am not trying to get all the way to high settings but would love to at least be average if it is possible.

As for the upgrade to Vista, my wife has it on her computer and I was wondering if the issues they been having with the release have been worked through by now. I have XP SP1 and I can upgrade to SP2 over the internet.

Comment

I think maybe a bigger screen may be useful for you... but thats just my quick thoughts, it depends how far you sit away from your monitor.
              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

i would upgrade the ram to at least 2 gigs
                i also like bigger monitors maybe a 22 inch
                then just maybe a better vidio card
                but i'd stick with xp for now and go ahead and update the sp2 i don't think they charge for that update

Comment

If you want Crysis to run better, then definitely go with a RAM upgrade and a new video card. Switching to Vista wouldn't help with that and there isn't any worthwhile benefits. It's not that there are still issues with Vista but it's more that the upgrade isn't necessary. Upgrading to XP SP2 is though since it's free.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

More RAM at least 2GB, better video card, keep XP for now. If you are wanting to spend about $500 then possibly a larger monitor. Try to figure in the memory, and good video card to be about $300-$350 and then a monitor might be had for what is left.
                    Or scratch the monitor and maybe get better gaming peripherals like a gaming mouse and keyboard. That is if you do not already have these or satisfied with what you may already have.
                    The upgrade to Vista would not really be worth the cost unless you got an OEM version at the time you bought the video card and memory. Vista would also pull your system down if not running enough RAM. 2Gb is the minimal amount of RAM I would use if buying Vista.

Video card I would recommend would be the 8800GT 512Mb, it usually does better in comparison then most ATI cards. It is not priced to badly either. About $250 give or take a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                      STOP SAYING THAT!
                      *trembles in terror* :row__733:

You could add another 1 GB of RAM for about $50 - $100. Depending on what your PSU can handle (it's ratings), you could even make the jump to getting a 8800GT for $280.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Processor is old, but should be fine. Up to 2 or 3 gigs ram and buy a spankin new 8800GT or something to complement it.
                        Skud

Comment

If he gets a new monitor, he will absolutely have to have a really good graf. card, like the 8800GT. That card he has now won't be able to run crysis on low at a higher rez than what his 17 in. is.
                          And should have been on XP SP2 a long time ago!!! Why on earth haven't you updated? XP SP3 is going to be out very soon, and from what some are reporting, you might see a small boost in your computer, but you can't get that without SP2 installed.
                          I 2nd the card and RAM upgrade for $300 plan. It would make a huge difference, espically with not having to use your virtual memory constantly when you play Crysis and if you play BF2 type stuff.
                          For what you should get, look here:
                          http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...el=945P_Neo3-F
                          Look at the memory section and then pick out some good fast RAM, like a 2 gig (2X1gig) kit, which will put you at 3 gigs.
                          And for the memory naysayers up above, games can use that amount of memory if you have it. Crysis will for sure. My BF2 game ran in my rig using 1.8 gigs total usage, until I went to 4 gigs, and now it uses 2.3-2.5 total, because that extra headroom is there. Why not let a system breath a bit, considering how crazy cheap RAM is right now, and since it is going to be going back up by summer they are saying.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            And should have been on XP SP2 a long time ago!!! Why on earth haven't you updated? XP SP3 is going to be out very soon, and from what some are reporting, you might see a small boost in your computer, but you can't get that without SP2 installed.
                            Originally posted by Wolfie View Post
                            As for the upgrade to Vista, my wife has it on her computer and I was wondering if the issues they been having with the release have been worked through by now. I have XP SP1 and I can upgrade to SP2 over the internet.
                            My bad, I already updated to SP2 during my last reformat. I forgot to mention that the CD I have currently is XP SP1 and I upgrade to SP2 when I have to reinstall after a reformat / hardware change.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                              Processor is old, but should be fine. Up to 2 or 3 gigs ram and buy a spankin new 8800GT or something to complement it.
                              Processor is not old, just not as high tech as everyone else's :row__537:

I bought the motherboard and CPU this past year cheap.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X