Question for the sound card audio experts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the sound card audio experts

I recently built a CPU and thought I would be OK with the 7.1 on-board sound. I decided that I will go ahead and add a sound card due to limitations with the onboard software and interface.
    It seems like I have to do a lot of messing around to get my sound correct for my games. FRAPS, wegame, etc.

Here is the mobo that I have: Abit IN9-32max
    http://www.uabit.com/index.php?optio...ge=2&model=333

Chipset

- Nvidia® nForce 680i SLI / NF590 SLI

I have read other posts about crackle and problems with Xfi for other versions

This week at my local Best Buy they have this card on sale for $99 (-$50 of regular) Creative Labs Xfi extreme gamer
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1156606920134

They also have another Creative Labs Xtereme Audio card for regular $71.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1156203598151

I have had good experience with my creative cards in the past.
    Three questions are: Is is worth spending the extra $30 to get the card on sale for $99...OR is the second card comperable and get that one...OR is there anther card in that range that blows both of these away?

I have seen very positive comments about card #1 the Fatality Extreme Gamer, but I don't know all of the ins and outs to compare specs so I thought I would throw this out to those of you who do. Thanks.

Re: Question for the sound card audio experts

When I compared the Xtream gamer Faility to the regular xtreme gamer, I couldn't really see that there was much if any differences.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102005
    So I got the regular one last month from newegg and am happy with it. I have heard a lot in the forums at Creative about the crackling problem, but it seems to be fixed if you are willing to update your BIOS to the current ones (not that hard to do)
    That is a good deal at BB though (for once). Every couple of weeks Newegg puts the regular card on sale with rebate for $50 (what I paid for mine), but then again with BB you don't have a rebate to worry about.
    Lot of people say the Fatality is just a marketing gemic. What has anyone else heard?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'll probably be picking up the faility card sometime this week.......decent price.

Comment

The X-Fi Xtreme Audio doesn't use the same chip as the rest of the X-Fi series so that's the only one I'd avoid.

X-Fi comparison chart:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_B...i#X-Fi_line-up

Comment

Thanks for all the info all. For $99 the extreme card is a pretty good deal.
          I think I will just get that and get it over with.

Comment

Which OS are you running? I use BOTH Nvidia (BFG 680i) on board sound for mic, AND Xfi for output audio. The Xfi crackles in BOTH XP and Vista.But, the problem is much larger than that in Vista. The sound will crackle during map load.Then the game sound will change to fast tempo(as in chipmunk speed) when this happens the ingame sound will not work correctly.I think it has to do with Vista not letting software interface directly with the hardware.
            sigpic
            *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

Comment

I have an EVGA 680i and an X-Fi fatality Pro (the one with the I/o drive). I got it on sale for $120, and am extremely pleased with it. The sound quality is great in XP. Don't have the crackle anymore......don't know why, but there are some bios updates to that board, I think if you have an EVGA board they just released new bios files for it that support the 45nm processors and specifically address X-fi support on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by CapucinoBob View Post
                Which OS are you running?
                I have the basic XP Home 32bit

I installed the card, but have not had time to set it up to see if there are any issues.

Also have one of the most recent BIOS updates for my mobo. I will have to check the ABIT forums to see if there were issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  When I compared the Xtream gamer Faility to the regular xtreme gamer, I couldn't really see that there was much if any differences.
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102005
                  So I got the regular one last month from newegg and am happy with it. I have heard a lot in the forums at Creative about the crackling problem, but it seems to be fixed if you are willing to update your BIOS to the current ones (not that hard to do)
                  That is a good deal at BB though (for once). Every couple of weeks Newegg puts the regular card on sale with rebate for $50 (what I paid for mine), but then again with BB you don't have a rebate to worry about.
                  Lot of people say the Fatality is just a marketing gemic. What has anyone else heard?
                  The Fatality gives you XRAM, which is a buffer for game sounds. Not many games use it, so I don't think it's worth paying the extra money. Games that do use it get a bit of a performance boost.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I just ordered the cheap X-Fi XtremeGamer. I hope it works out ok. I actually read a review today stating that the motherboard I ordered has exceptional quailty, one of the best onboard sounds a motherbaord could have. Only reason why I even ordered a sound card is cause so many claim the performance gains while gaming. I never really heard to much of a difference from good onboard sound and a sound card(Creative mainly). I may try both out to see what is better sounding and if their is any performance issues while using onboard sound. I know back in the day there was but I figure everything has evolved enough that it would be very, very minimal performance drain now.

Comment

There will be a difference. The X-Fi can do different effects in games that isn't supported by mobo sound. They may both sound crips and clean but the X-Fi can do reverb and occlusion.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                        There will be a difference. The X-Fi can do different effects in games that isn't supported by mobo sound. They may both sound crips and clean but the X-Fi can do reverb and occlusion.
                        They are both X-Fi, that is not the difference.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have said it before - Creative has major problems with their software. They still don't have reliable drivers for Vista and then those crackling issues. Check out the forums at creative and read some of the gigabytes of complaints that people are writing.
                          The problem is that most hardware vendors support a new model only until the next model comes out. Nvidia and Creative are like that. And their stuff never seems to work quite right (at least recently esp with Vista).

BTW your speakers and headphones play a major role when listening.

Comment

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer & Logitech Z-5500's should rumble the neighbors a little. I do hope everything sounds good. Just wondering what type of headphones would be good. I have never used a set so have no idea what to look for. Guess I will read up on the so many post that are made asking that question though.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                              Just wondering what type of headphones would be good. I have never used a set so have no idea what to look for. Guess I will read up on the so many post that are made asking that question though.
                              See here for good headphone suggestions: www.head-fi.org Most there are discerning listeners, so they can better answer your question.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X