No announcement yet.

Generic Board Game Software?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Board Game Software?

I am looking for software that allows you to play board games on the internet. It wouldn't know about any of the rules or pieces or anything like that. What it would do is allow you to draw a game board and pieces and share the results among a group of players over the internet. If it allowed for persistence of the current state that would be a bonus.

Maybe it could generate standard game boards like hex and you could provide the background picture.

If it doesn't exist I have thought about creating a open source project to do something like that in .Net. The .Net framework 3.5 has some pretty cool peer to peer technology.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Generic Board Game Software?

There is a ton of software like that targeted at online RPG (pen and paper style) players. I remember looking at klooge before and found it again by googling 'online rpg software'. There are a couple other ones I've looked at but I can't remember what they're called.

- It's who you game with.

Re: Generic Board Game Software?

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition may work well for you, too. While it's designed primarily for RPGs, it can also be used to play many boardgames and wargames. It allows saving the current game state, and even has Auto-Save and Undo features. Both square and hex grids are supported, and include an optional snap-to-grid feature.

You can check it out at There's a free demo available for download.

A full list of virtual tabletop software is also available at the above site, on the "Links & Resources" page. There are over 40 such programs (free and commercial), so you should be able to find one that suits your needs.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed