10 Confessions Of A Circuit City FireDog Technician

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Confessions Of A Circuit City FireDog Technician

This should be required reading for most of the general public, but most have no idea what is really going on. There was another article just like this but by a guy from BestBuy's GeekSquad a few months back.

http://consumerist.com/351374/10-con...dog-technician

I bought my LCD a while back from BestBuy, but I went in already knowing what I wanted. While waiting for them to get it down from the storage shelf, I was listening to a guy try and sell a couple a LCD. He was completely clueless, and I so wanted to say something to the people shopping, but just couldn't do it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: 10 Confessions Of A Circuit City FireDog Technician

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    I so wanted to say something to the people shopping, but just couldn't do it.
    Probably a good thing. I've stepped up in a similar situation in two different Best Buys before. One time, the bewildered clerk just stood back and listened. The second time, the clerk told me to shut up or get out. Thankfully, the people ended up shaking their heads at the clerk, but it was one of those times when things got uncomfortably tense.
    ---------------
    Doc-in-training

Comment

[sarcasm]Now I know what I want to do for a living! I'd get promoted awfully quick by doing all of the repairs myself, even the ones the other employees are doing, and then when I made manager, I'd teach them some skillz. I'd install backdoors on EVERYTHING. And then I'd get SUED for selling the logins on IRC. And if there was anyone worthy of being blackmailed, I'd install a hidden microphone!
      [/sarcasm]
      Never go to circuit city for repairs. You might have me as the repair guy.

Comment

I always offer my opinion when the salesman is an idiot. I usually wind up making them look like a retard, and then ask the customer the right questions - "what do you want to do with the computer, and how much do you want to spend?" usually the cheapest acer computer there will cover the customer's needs - which ticks off the sales clerk. It's a lot of fun.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I need to do this. Nothing like a 16-year-old kid outsmarting a "certified technician".
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
            I need to do this. Nothing like a 16-year-old kid outsmarting a "certified technician".
            Nothing like an eight year old showing up a "certified technician"

I hate when the sales people ask "if you need any help finding something." No I don't need help finding something. You have giant 2-ft type signs saying "Laser Printer Supplies" so I would naturally go there for Laser Printer Supplies. The worst part is when the worker can't even locate the area with the GIANT signs.

Though I have to say, the CompUSA that used to be near me had people that actually knew the difference between a SATA and Ethernet cable. Now all i have left is the GeekSquad....
            "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

But at CompUSA you actually had to have an employee find it for you, cause nothing was ever in the right place, and price tags on the wrong item.
              I thought it was just my local store, till I went in 2 other ones, and it was same story.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I do computer upgrades and repairs on the side for people and was blown away by the prices these places charge for their services.

Upgrade ram $20 (uhm that means I would be making $20 per 5 minutes)

Video card install $25 (read above)

Spring cleaning $50 :icon_eek: (read we will delete temp internet files and run an antvirus/spyware scan and dust for you)

There were others like sound card upgrades and windows re-installation. But some one could go in there to get less then an hours worth of work done and be over $100 in service fees let alone hardware costs.

Its a shame people are not more willing to learn some basic computer skills to save some cash.

Comment

Time is money. Sure, you may be getting $600/hour to fiddle, but if someone works for 60k a year (about $30/hr, overall) and values free time as worth at the very least time-and-a-half, that means one hour of studying how to maintain their computer is worth dropping $45 on someone who already knows how, while they do something important.

Comment

But at CompUSA you actually had to have an employee find it for you, cause nothing was ever in the right place, and price tags on the wrong item.
                    I thought it was just my local store, till I went in 2 other ones, and it was same story.
                    Could be one of the reasons they just closed down most, if not all, of their stores.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      Could be one of the reasons they just closed down most, if not all, of their stores.

Ive got a comp USA closing down the street, what a joke. I go and visit and look at the GREAT close-out deals and find that Newegg.com has better non-sale prices. CompUSA/BestBuy are good places to go and look at stuff before you buy online.

Sarcoma

Im going back on the last day to see if I can score any deals
                      Sarcoma.

Comment

Same here on the closing out sale at CompUSA. Talk about sorry prices, they would have to get below 50% off to beat NewEgg and you still get better service from NewEgg.
                        |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Thank who every you pray to upstairs we have newegg and other online retailers so we don't have to be limited to BB and CompUSA.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thank who every you pray to upstairs we have newegg and other online retailers so we don't have to be limited to BB and CompUSA.
                            Ill light a candle at the next mass.

Sarcoma
                            Sarcoma.

Comment

Prices aside the level of technology these stores market is poor. They are selling video cards that are 2 or more years old. People are paying good money for a 7600GT. Have even seen some of the FX5xxx series cards for sale as recent as X-mas :icon_eek:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X