Project Dakota: Update Windows XP from a CD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Dakota: Update Windows XP from a CD

I so wish I had had this disk in the past. It sure would have sped up my reinstalls of XP to get a clean system.

Project Dakota: Update Windows XP from a CD <--Link

I don't feel like typing out a summry of the article, just click on the link to see what it is, but if you ever have to install XP, this could save you hours of rebooting and installing and downloading.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Project Dakota: Update Windows XP from a CD

Nice find!

This is one DIY alternative.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the info guys. I'm actually formatting and re-installing Monday so hopefully this will save me a lot of time!

Comment

Nlite is also a very nice alternative, although a little more cumbersome to set up.

http://www.nliteos.com/

It allows a lot of customization up front for your windows install, including slipstreaming all the updates.
        Last edited by Brewski; 02-09-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I used NliteOs to customize my own XP install disc with all the drivers I needed and stuff like that. It really isn't to bad to use just time consuming to do the job right. Stripping out some of the crap that is included in XP really improved my speeds on my old computer as well.
          I still wonder if this is actually legal though?? I had heard that modifying XP in anyway was against Microsoft's policy and against the law. Anybody really know the truth to this??? I hate to have an illegal install cause I did strip out some of the stuff that I did not want.

Oh, the Project Dakota is real handy to know about.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
            I used NliteOs to customize my own XP install disc with all the drivers I needed and stuff like that. It really isn't to bad to use just time consuming to do the job right. Stripping out some of the crap that is included in XP really improved my speeds on my old computer as well.
            I still wonder if this is actually legal though?? I had heard that modifying XP in anyway was against Microsoft's policy and against the law. Anybody really know the truth to this??? I hate to have an illegal install cause I did strip out some of the stuff that I did not want.

Oh, the Project Dakota is real handy to know about.
            technically, it is not legal as a standalone disk. As long as you own 1) an unaltered, original XP cd, COA, and keycode, your installation is legit. You cannot destroy the original copy of XP, because the EULA that is part of the cd helps make the copy legal. You can make a backup copy of the cd, and what you do to the backup I do not think is specifically addressed. the issue arises from ppl dl'ing Nlite'd copies and not owning the original it was made from.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Well, I should have said HAD an illegal copy installed on my OLD computer. I did a complete format and reinstalled the original XP on it cause I was going to sell it or something, not really sure as of yet. A lot of friends are wanting parts from it but none want the whole system, I hate parting it out but if I get the money I want I will do it. I did see Vlite is available and I was thinking of giving it a try with Vista. Wonder if i can make this computer scream while running Vista Ultimate x64 stripped down a little? I figure it never hurts to try, I have the original disc to pop back if I mess things up.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X