Opteron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opteron

I have the good ole' Opteron 180 server chip, it's basically a dual cpu built onto a 939 motherboard. Is it natural for this thing to run at aroun 60 CONSTANTLY. Idle or under full load, it doesn't change.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Opteron

That is pretty hot man. Are you using the stock cooler?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah i've had it running in my computer on the stock for a good year now. It just stays at 59-60 even under load.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

F or C?

if it's F then SWEET.

If C, then OMG.

also, Artic silver 5 FTW.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Yeah, might want to get a good CPU cooler. Stock is never great. And like Dog said, some Artic silver 5, or the new stuff from OCZ which is supposed to be even better, would be good.
          You know putting too much paste on can be as bad as not putting any right?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I applied the right amount of paste on it and i've never had any problems wwith the CPu such as crashing or anything.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I guess since you are in Ohio you are meaning 60F.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Stock cooler on the Opterons (esp. the revised 4-pipe versions) are great if you're not OCing. Usually no visible change in idle/load means a bad mount.
                OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

Yeah but there have been no lock ups or other signs of a cpu overheating EVER.
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

60C won't lock an Opty. Anyway, there's a lot of variables, but at stock everything you should be shooting for the ballpark of 35C idle/50C load. What's your temp prog? You should be giving us 2 temps reading anyway: a core1 and core2. DL "Coretemp" and run it.

Find me on TS tonight if you want some help, or if you want to try the remount. I'm pretty sure that's your trouble.

Comment

khaerus is right, it may just be your temp program giving you a false reading.
                      I know right now for instance ASUS motherboards will report 10 degrees cooler than they actually are because of a BIOS glich.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Still hanging at 60 on coretemp. They say they have two cores but they only measure the temperature on a one. Guess that's because this is a dual-CPU and not core.

I have had no problems with it, i was just wondering if this was or wasn't normal.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                          this is a dual-CPU and not core.
                          180 is a dual core chip on one 939 socket. It's a "better" version of the 165 that I still run in my main rig, though I have a really good stepping and OC mine... (Usually "dual cpu" would be used to describe a server-type motherboard that has 2 physical sockets- these things are pricey and uncommon.)

Coretemp should be giving you a "core #0" temp and a "core #1" temp.

Anyway, no, it's not normal to be running that hot, and it's not normal to to have no difference in temps between load and idle. Is the fan on your cooler plugged into the mobo header? If the fan is running, and you don't check the mount/paste application, and you haven't been messing with OC settings that might need fixing/checking, then I'm not sure I can offer any other direction.

Comment

I've checked the cables, fan and the cooling compound, everything seems to be in check. If the thing crashes, i have an excuse to get a new MoBo.

Also, i have recently updated the BIOS and the it finally recognized the processor as the Opteron instead as a generic AMD processor.
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Well, what's the ambient temp in your room?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X