an estimate from 2003 about todays computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an estimate from 2003 about todays computers

i think the CPU would have to be more powerful than that... remember PS2 was at around 300MhZ and the Cell (although everywhere differs in what speed it will have) is said to run around 3-4 GhZ... 3000/300 is a 10X increase so they would hope to achieve 'at least' this if not 'more' out of the next generation which would push a 3GhZ to 30GhZ. This does seem a bit of a huge gap but remember there is a 5 year gap between each system.. and even if they dont reach 30GhZ im sure they will attempt to get to maybe 15-20. 10GhZ would be too far behind.. we should be seeing 10GhZ pc cpu's by 2006.
    this is a post from a forum i just clicked a link to (i saw a link to ps4 specs but i couldnt find any so i googled it)

the thread link is quite entertaining
    http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=5366
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: an estimate from 2003 about todays computers

Ha, man if the industry stayed single core the cooling would certainly become a problem.
    Skud

Comment

My 1.6ghz C2D is way faster than my 2.8ghz AMD X2.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
        My 1.6ghz C2D is way faster than my 2.8ghz AMD X2.
        doubtful, both are dual core, and a 75% increase in speed.... i doubt it highly, your x2 was probably DOA
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Looks like you're right. Comparable speeds are found between the 1.86ghz C2D and the 2.5ghz X2 4800+.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/..._3/page12.html
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

It could also be your motherboard and setup.

30 GHz, rofl. I wish.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Why even though? The power requirements would be SO high that it'd out do my entire house on a Saturday night!
              Skud

Comment

power requirements for today's processors are less than half of what they were for a PIII 850. by that logic, a 30ghz cpu would almost put power back into the grid though, so grain of salt and all.....
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                  power requirements for today's processors are less than half of what they were for a PIII 850. by that logic, a 30ghz cpu would almost put power back into the grid though, so grain of salt and all.....
                  I thought the P3s ate about 38W of power and the Core 2 Duos ate about 45W of power. How are today's processor's eating less juice than the pre-1.0 ghz processors of old?

Refer to this chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation
                  Guide here on TDP: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article169-page3.html

Edit: Ah, so you're comparing a 850 mhz processor on today's tech with that of a P3 @ 850 on the old Coppermine/Tutalin cores. Right?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the new processors use a smaller die... 45nm is the newest, but the p3 used 1.3 um or 130nm... the bigger the size, the more energy consumed, and the hotter they get
                    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                      the new processors use a smaller die... 45nm is the newest, but the p3 used 1.3 um or 130nm... the bigger the size, the more energy consumed, and the hotter they get
                      You mean .13um or 130nm. 100nm = .1um. The first PIIIs were made with a .25um or 250nm process. The second revision was made with a .18um process. .13um came much later.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        I thought the P3s ate about 38W of power and the Core 2 Duos ate about 45W of power. How are today's processor's eating less juice than the pre-1.0 ghz processors of old?

Refer to this chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation
                        Guide here on TDP: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article169-page3.html

Edit: Ah, so you're comparing a 850 mhz processor on today's tech with that of a P3 @ 850 on the old Coppermine/Tutalin cores. Right?

well, the l7500 @ 1.6 is only 17w, and the u7500 @ 1.06 is only 10 watts.

the processing power is on the order of 6-7 times that of the PIII for the u7500 and closer to 10-12 for the L7500.

The PIII 850 was not the top of the line not was it the bottom, as is the 1.6 L7500. The point is, The tech is in place to now to get 10x the work out of .5x the power.

Try running vista on a PIII 850... won't happen. Run it on an L7500. Smooth as silk. Even a U7500 would be an enoyable experience. Heck, I ran Vista on a core solo 1.2 and it ran without a hiccup.

I guess my point is that as tech improves, the amount of power required to double or triple performance will not double or triple with it. Look at the C2Q 3.0. Yes, it is 130W, but each core is only 32.5W, and the CPU can drop to a mere 16W when idle. Plus, EACH core outperforms the PIII 850 on the order of 8-10x - for 5 extra watts of power.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

I wouldn't say you can't run Vista on a P3 850 unless someone has tried and has stated that it runs too slow or doesn't boot at all.

Okay, it's expected that today's processors are more efficient than the ones of old. If they weren't, I'd wonder why we aren't having more problems.

One thing to keep in mind, although each core might outperform that of a P3, today's mutlicore processors are on one chip and thus relegated to the bus of one CPU unlike that of dual CPU setups from a few years ago.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            I wouldn't say you can't run Vista on a P3 850 unless someone has tried and has stated that it runs too slow or doesn't boot at all.
                            Vista will not install, and even when you hack it to do so, it is unusable. I have tried...I tried with a 1.13 and it barely ran.
                            a PIII is not able to run vista.

Comment

Shocking. So the installer checks your hardware specs before continuing with the install?

At least I don't have any chips that old that are still functional. ;)

Didn't some students at MIT manage to get a processor up to around 100 GHz on a complex water/nitro cooling system a while back?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X