2 3870s v 1 3870X2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 3870s v 1 3870X2

Okay, I am getting a new video card. I was wondering how you guys think 2 3870s would perform against one of the new 3870 X2. I was thinking about going with two of these ASUS 3870s or one ASUS 3870 X2.

Re: 2 3870s v 1 3870X2

i favor ATi myself , but the price on the X2($450) is way to high considering you can get a 8800GTX for $445.99 ($395.99 after $50.00 Mail-In Rebate) on newegg and it out performs the X2 in every test other than halflife.

Comment

actually Wreck, in most of the reviews I have seen (about a dozen), the x2 at least runs even with the GTX or beats it. Plus they are going to be putting out DDR4 versions as well.
      The ones it doesn't is mostly due to early drivers which you know they will improve. Most the the games where the GTX does better are actually the "meant for nvidia" sponsored games too.
      There are a lot of reveiws out now that show exactly what you are wondering machowner (just google search), but to be honest you should wait till March, around the 1st week, since a ton of new nvidia stuff is about to release, and even if you don't go for that, it should push the 8800 prices down some more.
      Nvidia is also about to release the x2 version of their card as well. Main difference is they actually took 2 cards and stuck them together to make 1, where ati took 2 chips and stuck them on 1 board. We will soon know which was the better idea.
      I am actually waiting for this Asus version to come out:
      http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/01/a...ets-previewed/

I really want to run 3 monitors. :)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

cool, i havent seen any of the reviews since the first ones came out cause i aint in the market for a new card at the moment.

Go ATi

Comment

i have read (somewhere) that the 3870x2 performs par to a 8800gtx but when you crossfire (quad crossfire) the 3870x2s and compare them to SLI 8800gtx or ultra, they blow them out of the water, that would be rediculous to turn your computer around to see 8 freaking DVI outputs in back (ya i know not all are used but still....
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

you can put 4 X2's in a crossfire X system , so if you turned that around there would be 16. can you say overkill.

Comment

I probably going for a March timeline. Just wondering if our resident tech guys knew the answer.

Comment

You will be able to make a better decision come March.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Still too early to tell, if the industry can catch up to the programing with great driver updates then the 2 3870 would absolutely scream.... Dual core GPU's just don't seem to bring the WOW factor like everyone hoped for. It seems easier from the programing side to more easily optimize SLI/Crossfire than the dual GPU's. Just an opinion on what I've read...
                  One Newegg customer is very happy with the X2..
                  "Great Card. I switched from my 8800GTX to this and it was a pretty good improvement. Playing COD4 @ 1920 x 1080 with everything high, I went from 60FPS to 88FPS. Better then the $600 Ultra."

Comment

The early reviews I read showed some really good benches and some really bad ones compared to the GTX's. I have read a newer one which had updated drivers and it showed some nice improvements all around. In some of the Nvidia favoured games ATi figured out what needed to be changed and grabbed huge increases (I think one game was 70% increase).

More to the original post I would think that the X2 would be the better route. It seems to be less of a hassle when compared to getting crossfire driver support. The card itself deals with all that, the mobo sees it as a single card and doesn't have to processes it as crossfire. I don't think getting this card would be a bad purchase as it does really well against the current crop. Yes there will be a newer and better card out that will beat it, you can say that about anything though. I still have an 8800GTS (gasp!) that isn't as fast as the newest cards but it will let me play most games just fine for the next year or more, the X2 would have even more life in it for sure.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X