Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seagate 320 GB Perpendicular HDD, Why the problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate 320 GB Perpendicular HDD, Why the problems?

Okay, since I've resorted to building my system piecemeal, I need some advice, opinions, recommendations, and general feedback from other users.

If you own the 320 GB Perpendicular Seagate 7200.10 HDD, please respond! How long have you had it, problems, sweetness? (Would be nice if I got a one from Apophis :row__593:)

I've gone through about half of the reviews on NewEgg in regards to the above mentioned drive. I'm concerned and am wondering if my concern/fear of this drive failing is well-founded or dumb-founded. Most of the "bad" reviews mention SMART errors and "clunking, clicking, clanking" noises (the clicking sounds like a normal seek?). Reminds me of the last two WDs in my possession...

I have and still use 3 Seagate drives (all of them 3+ years old) in capacities ranging from 20 GB to 80 GB and in EIDE. Have not had any problems with any of them, but I have not used or tried any of the new ones.

I am thinking about purchasing this drive and will not have the rest of my parts until some months from now.

Feedback?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Seagate 320 GB Perpendicular HDD, Why the problems?

I bought a seagate 750 SATA drive and it promptly died in 3 days, so I sent it back and got an IDE version. This drive lasted a whopping 12 days. When I sent it back, I got a SATA replacement and have not removed it from the static bag for fear of it crashing.

SEAGATE = TEH SUCK.
    WD= TEH PWN

sorry.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I have the 320gig drive, and I chose it because of the good reviews it got on newegg. Don't know if it has gone down since OCT., like maybe a bad batch went through or something.
      I am pretty happy with it. I use it for storage though, with my main harddrive being a WD Raptor. No problems so far at all.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have a ST3320620AS. It has been in constant operation since March of 2007 without any incidents. I also bought mine from Newegg and it does seem that at one point last year, they must have gotten a bad batch or even lot. I'm glad mine has been rock solid.

The drives we rely on at work are Western Digital RE2. They cost $20 more on average, but we have had excellent performance and reliability from them.

Comment

I've had two of those Seagate drives. One I've had for about 2 1/2 yrs and the other about a year. Both have been flawless, no problems at all.

Maybe there was a bad batch?

Comment

Got one as a storage drive, works great. I have two 160s in Raid 0 for my OS and whatnot, and this to backup stuff to. Its louder than the others, but not a great deal louder. I'd grab it if I were you, they're a good price and work great.

Comment

i have a pair of WD 320gb perpendicular recording or whatever, in raid, for about... 2 years, no problems
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I remember I was making the same decision as you where for a slightly different drive. The reviews confused me also because I have always had really good results with seagate.

I found out that almost all the problems where from a particular lot from a particular plant in China. I think the problem has been fixed.

I went ahead and bought one and have been very please. Quite and fast. I recommend.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I've got one. No problems for about a year or so.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I put two new ST3320620AS drives in my latest build. One of them died after two or three months. Fortunately they were RAID mirrors and I've replaced the drive. Next time I will probably go with another brand.

Comment

Hmm, okay. I've also added a WD RE to my list of considerations. I'll probably end up ordering the Seagate. Hopefully I won't get one from the bad batch.

This is also the first hard drive that I've/will buy that's larger than 160 GB. *crosses fingers*
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It was my first over 80gigs :)
                        everytime I look at the little graph of it's capacity, I kind of laugh.
                        I have no idea how people fill up those 1 terabit drives. (1,000 gigs)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          I have no idea how people fill up those 1 terabit drives. (1,000 gigs)
                          Its real easy when you are taking tons of video using FRAPS. Sure, once edited and re-encoded, you can dump all those big files, but it is nice to have the capacity to hold all the source video until the final compilation is complete.

I have a single 500GB drive just for video editing. I'm already finding that I will probably need another one. Some projects just just seem to hang around for a while.

Comment

yeah, I forgot about fraps
                            It filled up my old 80 gig with just a couple of short videos.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've gone to Western Digital, too, since Seagate cashed in their name's goodwill by selling Maxtor garbage under their name.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X