RAM Voltage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Voltage

So I'm wanting to double my RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Right now I'm running 2 512MB sticks. My motherboard (PCCHIPS M963GV) has two slots and supports 2GB total, so I was going to buy 2 1GB sticks, probably a dual channel kit.

It's PC3200/400Mhz DDR.

My big question is this. According to my MB manual it supports 2.5V while pretty much all of the PC3200 I can find (Newegg seems to have the widest selection) is 2.6V-2.75.

Specifically, I was looking at this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231047

It's gotten quite good reviews and it's not a bad price for 2GB of PC3200. Yeah, I know DDR2 is much cheaper, just no fundage to upgrade the MB and everything else this year so I'm hoping doubling the RAM gets me some performance increase in BF2 and FFoW.

Back to my question...I don't see any way in BIOS to tweak the RAM voltage, so will the 2.6V work in a 2.5V slot?

Re: RAM Voltage

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
    Back to my question...I don't see any way in BIOS to tweak the RAM voltage, so will the 2.6V work in a 2.5V slot?
    They should. The nominal voltage for DDR is 2.5v.

As an example, another one of their products. On their web site they state 2.6-2.75v, and the picture says:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Thanks for the reply DB. Do I need to worry about timing or anything like that as far as compatibility?

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
        Thanks for the reply DB. Do I need to worry about timing or anything like that as far as compatibility?
        Memory compatibility problems are usually with single/double ranked dimms; when your mobo supports single sided and you try double sided and vice versa. I checked your manual, not much information in there. The chipset maker does give a fairly good list, so you should be OK. I don't think you will have a problem. Unless you have a list from the motherboard manufacturer, there's always a risk. IMO, in this case, minimal.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Sweet! I guess I'll give that G.SKILL RAM a try. Thanks for the info DB!

Comment

Going to 2 gigs is going to really help you out in BF2. You will notice an improvement right away with your rig no longer constantly having to relie on virtual memory from your hard drive.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Although I still play POE2 some, my main focus is switching FFoW. Hopefully I will see a similar increase in it as well.

Comment

They should work, but seeing how GSkill and other such brand names seem to cater to the overclocking and high-end community, their RAM may not work since some high performance RAM requires overvoltage to function properly.

As for the memory timings, you don't need to worry about that since the SPD timings are read off of the memory itself and configured automatically by the motherboard. The only time you'd really have to worry about timings is when you overclock your memory/bus.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X